Sign in to follow this  
Boar

Video Card Troubles

Hey guys.. Never really posted about this before but I've been having some trouble with my video card.

At the moment I'm currently running this, a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb Dirt3 Edition.

SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity - Newegg.com

My mobo is this:

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

And my PSU is:

Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

The probably is that the framerate isn't living up to what I was hoping it to be.. I was expecting(after reading many reviews) to be able to run WoW on ultra with maybe a few tweaks here and there to get a nice framerate, but unfortunately I'm hitting about 50 FPS on High with many settings adjusted to be lower..

Just a few minutes ago, I went into the Catalyst Control Center and messed with some settings to up the speed a bit(increased the memory clock settings by about 30MHz) and tried playing CS:GO. After about 30 minutes of that it grey screened, which looked like a bunch of horizontal bars, and crashed, telling me that the video card drivers failed to work.

Do you have any ideas? I did build this computer by myself so it is completely possible I messed something up hooking things up, but I'm just not sure.

Note: Other than having some discouraging FPS, the card runs fine. A long time ago it was bugging out a bit, crashing and telling me the drivers weren't working, but since then it has been fine. Just :( FPS

I'd suggest looking on sites such as tom's hardware.

You're bound to get feedback there and hell, maybe even a solution. If that doesn't work out, go on Youtube for tutorials

on how to set up graphics cards and then maybe you'll figure out if you hooked up your card wrong or not. Hope this helps.

The power supply could be the problem, having a 2 rail system which means the power is going through two rails and could be distributing the power unevenly and having a "GREEN" edition prolly isn't the best for a gaming system, and try re-installing your video card drivers from their website, or revert to older ones. and make sure your case is properly ventilated and every cable is properly plugged in, or look up the warranty and see if you can get it fixed for free

Regards,

-ERNIE