Sign in to follow this  
Gawd

Possible bottleneck troubles. New PC help.

Hi guys, so I got a new pc. Well more accurately my dad bought a new computer for the house. I personally wanted to build my own and was going to until he suggested that he buy one for christmas. So, instead of dropping 700 bucks I let him buy a pre-built that he wanted to get for some reason. Anyways, it was on a decent discount when we bought it so try not to bitch too much about how we should have just built one, I know.

Overall, to me it seems like a reasonable build. I get like 60-ish frames on medium settings BF3. Well, that's the best I get anyways. CSS, CSGO, GMOD, all run perfectly upwards of 250-300 fps. However, when I get to games like planetside 2 and Day Z I start experiencing some problems. It's not as bad on Planetside 2 on low graphics but still pretty bad. I've really been wanting to get into playing DayZ alot, but the fps lag especially around bigger cities makes it harder to enjoy. I was mainly just wondering if you guys could leave me any tips. It could be possible upgrades or things I could do to the system itself to help run games a little bit better. I know it's a prebuilt but don't get angry at me for it lol.

Here's the link to it. [PLAIN]iBUYPOWER Desktop PC Gamer Extreme NE625FX AMD FX-Series FX-6100 (3.3 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 2TB HDD+120GB SSD HDD Windows 8 - Newegg.com[/PLAIN]

If you go to details you will get the full list of specs. Thanks for helping me. Just gonna tag @@McNeo because he's good with these kinds of things. Again, I would just appreciate it if I could get some suggestions, whether it be upgrades or system settings changes etc. Thanks!

1. I don't know why you can't run planetside or day z on low, because your computer is more then capable but

Your CPU is the bottleneck of your rig ,because your graphics card is more then capable for the games you listed and from what you mentioned above it seems that your lagging issue is a cpu problem. So if you wanted to upgrade your cpu I would suggest AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 8-Core 3.1 GHz Socket AM3+ 125W FD8120FRGUBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.com and since you already have an FX card I'm assuming its compatible with your motherboard, but I'd double check to be safe.

I'd also update the drivers for your card,as that can affect your overall performance, but consider upgrading your PSU while your at it. 400w isn't gonna cut it.

I'd also update the drivers for your card,as that can affect your overall performance, but consider upgrading your PSU while your at it. 400w isn't gonna cut it.

yeah I was actually thinking off that. I've had previous suggestions to do the same thing. What would you say, 600w?

yeah I was actually thinking off that. I've had previous suggestions to do the same thing. What would you say, 600w?

Really depends on the video card. The 7850 2GB is perfect,if I may recommend it, and with it you can get a 600w and be set. If you're not overclocking it, go with a 500w.

The iBUYPOWER PCs either work or don't, people are right with going with the new power supply, look into the brand Corsair, OCZ, or Coolermaster. Those brands work great with my experience.On the other hand you shouldn't run into that big of a problem, I'm going to say try using Newegg's review section on the product because the manufacturer is replying to almost all the bad reviews or to people who have had problems. You can upgrade your parts or try to download the latest Video card Drivers and make sure everything is plugged in, but if you wish to seek a performance boost then upgrading your processor is a good idea but you should look into a better power supply than the one that came with the case, the CPU is a 95w 6-core processor and the video card is kind of a power hog as well but also look into an after market CPU cooler

______HERE______

Power Supply 600w $69.99 plus a $10 mail-in-rebate:CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 8-Core 3.1 GHz Socket AM3+ 125W FD8120FRGUBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

CPU aftermarket cooler $29.99 plus a $5.00 mail-in-reabte: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - Newegg.com

P.S. Hope you can get the computer running, the new AMD builds sometimes have problems, one of my older builds I couldn't get to post and had a $1000 paper weight for a month while the new parts came in, I feel your pain

Regerds,

-ERNIE

No offense but Planetside 2 seems more like graphics RAM would be a problem. As it has shitty graphics (It really does. Don't even try to argue me, just see for yourself.)

Graphic card RAM would make sense because of all the textures being loaded and the wide map being loaded.

With DayZ low FPS well... DayZ is very weird. We all know this. It is just weird. Even my computer cannot handle it and it is a solid (Good) build.

-- This could be because it is a bad-coded (Poorly optimized) mod.

planetside 2 is a horribly optimized game. Might want to try overclocking your CPU, people easily get it to 4 GHz on air.

Planet side 2 has more problems with CPU than it does graphics ram. both are a problem but it works CPUs the most.

The 7770 is a really capable cheap budget card, so im pretty sure your CPU is the bottleneck. im under the impression that overclocking it would fix any troubles.

I know this is a bit of a gravedig, but toward what @Brian said. He suggested that I should get a better power supply. But is it neccesary? To my understanding if the computer isn't getting enough power it will just crash, but I am not experiencing any kinds of those problems. I understand that if I overclock I will need a higher voltage of course, but if my computer is working fine now without any crashes on stock voltage, why do you think that I need to upgrade my PSU? It's either it'll work or it will crash right?

You really don't, but if you're overclocking, look into a Hyper 212 EVO cooler, as well as a new power supply. 600w should do the job.

Yes, it's working fine as is.

I wouldn't though. Right now, some of the highest cards, such as the 7970, barely get 40FPS in most situations on Day-Z, and even less in citites, on high graphics. The game isn't on par with the optimization of say, the source engine, as you will get lag in cities, whether on a 500$ build or a 1500$ build. Don't hear too much about Planetside 2. I'd wait, and see what comes out.

If you really want to get the best performance out of your computer, remove all of the heat sinks and dip the computer into liquid nitrogen. Then, shoot it with a shotgun to remove any excess buildup of dust. It runs beautifully afterwards.

#NotRealAdvice

Hey if you are still having trouble with Planet Side 2, find my old thread I made. It has a download the optimizes the graphics for Planet Side 2 that is was made by my IRL friends. It works wonders.