Sign in to follow this  
Cookiesars

6/2(1+3)

The answer is 9

I just realized I am a Idiot, what i have been saying is 6/2(1+3) =3/4 for the following reason

This is what i thought

So you have 6/2(1+3), if you type this into google it changes the equation to (6/2) * (1+3)

the answer google gives is 12, that is correct for the equation it does it for

now with 6/2(1+3) you can see the 2 is beside the (1+3) with no /, *, -, or + in between

because of this you must Multiply the 2 into the brackets or parentheses, This is part of BEDMAS or PEMDAS because it is involving the brackets/parenthses

you then have

6/ (1*2+3*2)

=6/ (2+6)

=6/8 which can be simplified down to 3/4

some people think that the answer is 12 from this

6/2(1+3)

=6/2(4) <----- brackets around 4 should not be there, keeping it for it is not 6/2 4

=3(4)

=12

this is what google comes up with because it ads the * in between the 2 and the (1+3)

I just figured out that 6/2(1+3) is actually 9

6/2(1+3)

=6/ (2*1) + (2*3)

=6/2+6

=3+6

=9

this is from the brackets disapearing after you multiply the 2 into the 1+3

thus

6 / (2*1) + (2*3)

after i looked this up http://www.saddleback.edu/faculty/aorrison/mathhelp/parenn1.htm

i noticed the brackets actually go away once you multiply into this

I feel like a dumbass right now but still smarter then the people who said 12, so to anyone who said 9 I am sorry for arguing with you.

The answer is 9

I just realized I am a Idiot, what i have been saying is 6/2(1+3) =3/4 for the following reason

This is what i thought

So you have 6/2(1+3), if you type this into google it changes the equation to (6/2) * (1+3)

the answer google gives is 12, that is correct for the equation it does it for

now with 6/2(1+3) you can see the 2 is beside the (1+3) with no /, *, -, or + in between

because of this you must Multiply the 2 into the brackets or parentheses, This is part of BEDMAS or PEMDAS because it is involving the brackets/parenthses

you then have

6/ (1*2+3*2)

=6/ (2+6)

=6/8 which can be simplified down to 3/4

some people think that the answer is 12 from this

6/2(1+3)

=6/2(4) <----- brackets around 4 should not be there, keeping it for it is not 6/2 4

=3(4)

=12

this is what google comes up with because it ads the * in between the 2 and the (1+3)

I just figured out that 6/2(1+3) is actually 9

6/2(1+3)

=6/ (2*1) + (2*3)

=6/2+6

=3+6

=9

this is from the brackets disapearing after you multiply the 2 into the 1+3

thus

6 / (2*1) + (2*3)

after i looked this up http://www.saddleback.edu/faculty/aorrison/mathhelp/parenn1.htm

i noticed the brackets actually go away once you multiply into this

I feel like a dumbass right now but still smarter then the people who said 12, so to anyone who said 9 I am sorry for arguing with you.

Don't worry you're still a dumbass. It is still 12. PEMDAS is for order of operations. Your logic is flawed and the parentheses stay and the answer is still 12. The only time you do the multiplying across the entire parentheses is when there is a variable like "x".

How people tie their own shoes in the morning still amazes me.

Don't worry you're still a dumbass. It is still 12. PEMDAS is for order of operations. Your logic is flawed and the parentheses stay and the answer is still 12. The only time you do the multiplying across the entire parentheses is when there is a variable like "x".

How people tie their own shoes in the morning still amazes me.

basically this, you only multiply the 2 into each if there was an x in there, and let me explain why.

based on order of operations, you do parentheses first, which means that you do inside the parentheses over anything else. why you multiply what is outside would be if there was an x because you cant add 2x + 3 as there is no real number for 2x. now, using that knowledge of how parentheses are supposed to work, based off mathematical law, 6/2(1+3) = 6/2(4) now at this point you may be saying "oh okay! then you do 2*4 and get 8! and then do 6/8 which is 3/4 when reduced!" well you are wrong. since there is nothing inbetween the parentheses it is saying 6 / 2 * 4 in which then following order of operations you do it left to right since multiplication and division take place at the same time. so you start at the left going right: 6 / 2 * 4 = 3 * 4 (6 / 2 = 3) 3 * 4 = 12

final answer: 12

I swear if i see you give someone a trivia prize for a wrong answer to this question because you think it is 9 or some shit I will CT ban you.

also just so you know, if what you thought was how it worked the answer would actually be 3/4 why? 2(1 + 3) = (2 + 6) = (8) 6/8 = 3/4

I swear if i see you give someone a trivia prize for a wrong answer to this question because you think it is 9 or some shit I will CT ban you.

Lol'd