Rhododendron

How to make a Spray!

Alright, so I will show you guys how to make a spray.

However, I can't do this in one day, but it will be finished in the next few days.

What you Need:

Adobe Photoshop CSX (You CANNOT use Photoshop Elements since it does not have the alpha layer feature.)

VTFLib (To convert the image)

Ok, open Photoshop CS5, and click on the 'File' tab, and click 'New'.

Use these settings:

settings.jpg.be55ce28b09dc1933c1c417eb4a2e8c2.jpg

Then, put the photo on the field, and apply the transformation. To make a picture bigger, keeping the ratio, hold shift and then drag it either bigger or smaller.

When you are done making the spray, go to 'File' and click 'Save For Web and Devices'.

saveweb.jpg.29eef47da65e7020f860be3a5822ad24.jpg

Now, the spray MUST be a small file size, so I use 70 as quality and I use a jpeg since it is heavily compressed.

savewebsettings.jpg.5c42b048dca428ede366998774a2d00f.jpg

Click 'Save' and save it to the Desktop or where ever you want.

Now all you have to do is follow the VTFLib instructions at the bottom of the post!

How to make a transparent spray!!!

Alright, so you wanna make a transparent spray, eh?

Ok, first, make a new photoshop project, following the same settings as above, HOWEVER, 512x512 is probably too big, since the Source Engine recognizes filesize by resolution rather than quality, so I would stick to 256x256. Make sure to make the 'Background Contents' set at Transparent. Now make your spray. Here is what I will be using:

trans1.jpg.3a33c306a5ffd2e6575eb6ab0bbd2aa5.jpg

Now, go to the 'Layers' tab, and click your layer. After you have done that, hold control and left click the small box at the right of the layer. This will select everything that you made in the picture.

trans2.jpg.90d80a46037f68bab4a1f57195bdb1ae.jpg

After you have done that, click the 'Channels' tab and then click the following button:

trans3.jpg.fcbae81fe26ae6fca6e44ce76197620b.jpg

It will create a new alpha layer, which is recognizable by the Source Engine. What it creates looks like this:

trans4.jpg.b96b01c57db339ce1fcb7d8e4ecb1640.jpg

The Source Engine recognizes the white as having content, while the black is recognized as being transparent. If you were to make the black part a greyish color, it would be half transparent. This is how many textures are made.

Now, go to the 'File' tab, and click 'Save As' and save it as a TARGA (or TGA) format.

trans5.jpg.eff3fbcee57df3a13f576650aaa05d3c.jpg

Now, it will ask you a few more question on how you want the TGA file to be. Use the following settings, or the Source Engine won't pick up your spray correctly:

trans6.jpg.f425244ffc9698198c622bc88f2cd234.jpg

Click ok, and you are done with the hard part. All you have to do now is import the file into VTFLib. Just follow the instructions at the bottom to do this.

How to convert the photo with VTFLib

Open up VTFLib, and click 'File' and then click 'Import'.

vtfnew.jpg.d1d695e0973bf1541a5437190172f165.jpg

The photo should be imported,

Now, you need to click on the 'Info' tab, and check the file size.

The size of the image MUST be 220Kb or less. ANYTHING ELSE WILL NOT WORK!!!

Mine, for example, IS WAY TOO BIG, AND ANY SOURCE GAME WILL NOT USE IT, SO I WOULD HAVE TO MAKE THE IMAGE SIZE SMALLER!!!

info.png.7d6e39adf870d516a9fa3ba62addb988.png

Alright, so if the filesize fits the criteria, then you are almost done :D

Now, press CTRL+SHIFT+S and save to the following folder:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/YOUR USER NAME/counter-strike source/cstrike/materials/VGUI/logos

You must put BOTH files into that folder, and CS:S will automatically pickup the sprays, so you don't have to browse for them.

Congratulations, your new spray will work!!!

Alright that is it for now! Be sure to donate to this amazing clan if this helped you or if you want to support us!

Edited by Rhododendron (see edit history)

That's a nice picture Duckii. I don't get how you can make all the different colors though. But if I get photoshop I can mess around with it and see the things I can do.