Gorillabot3000

Upgrade Downgrade?

Hey guys! Can someone help me out in discovering what is up with my new computer? My old Laptop worked perfectly for gaming. I've never had any difficulties with anything aside from getting Fallout 3 to work, which was mainly an issue with the game's compatibility with Windows 8. The new one I got is from the same brand (Toshiba), has 8GB RAM (2 more than my old one), has the same proccessor (Intel CORE i5), and for some reason has more ping spikes than the old one. In addition, to make things worse, sometimes my entire computer just freezes for no reason while I'm playing games.

Old Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L855-S5368 Laptop, Up to 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-3210M Processor - BJ's Wholesale Club

New Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L55t-A5290 Laptop

Thanks in advance!

You could have a virus on the new computer or you just have less range from your router. If you can't figure it out just do a reset on it and yes you will lose everything.

#1 - Check for bloatware on your new laptop that's taking up your bandwidth. Any software the laptop comes with you probably don't want. So, uninstall any manufacturer-installed software (security "free trials", "battery health" crap, updaters etc.)

#2 - How good of a signal are you getting from your router? Is there any interference from other laptops, routers nearby? Check all that out.

#3 - If you haven't already updated to 8.1, DO IT. 8 by itself locked up for me all the time, but as soon as I updated every little issue I had was solved.

The new laptop you got isn't that much of an upgrade really, but if the old one worked fine the new one shouldn't have too much of a problem unless something's not working right. I don't recommend a reformat/reinstall if you don't need to, which you probably don't right now.

honestly i would just switch to windows 7 because 8 is nasty and 7 will probably run with your games alot better

I wouldn't. Not on a laptop, at least. 8 starts up amazingly quick compared to 7, which is really helpful with laptops. And really, 8.1 doesn't have any compatibility issues that I've seen at all, and it's really not that hard to set compatibility settings on anything that does have issues (theres always something with every new os that doesnt run anymore). Theres just no need to downgrade to 7 and spend all that money.