Matsi

Word Of The Day

Is this thread dead, or will there be more things I can laugh at?

Sorry forgot I didn't do it, been out shopping for paintball stuff and gun stuff for my Conceal Carry.... MURRICA!!!

[spoiler=June 10, 2016]

asinine

PRONUNCIATION:

(ASS-uh-nyn) awordsmith.org_words_images_sound_icon.png.715ca5bd5bc057590e8ce391ec7e86eb.png

MEANING:

adjective: Extremely stupid; ridiculous.

ETYMOLOGY:

From Latin asinus (ass), from the general reputation of donkeys -- entirely undeserved -- as being stubborn and stupid.

Not targeted at @BelloWaldi .... this is actually what came up on my random word generator today.... please don't ban my emoticons :)

[spoiler=Proof]5aa4c3a3c940b_wordaday2.thumb.PNG.acfc88177135a61b1f8765300dce74dd.PNG

Sorry forgot I didn't do it, been out shopping for paintball stuff and gun stuff for my Conceal Carry.... MURRICA!!!

[spoiler=June 10, 2016]

asinine

PRONUNCIATION:

(butt-uh-nyn) [ATTACH=full]23957[/ATTACH]

MEANING:

adjective: Extremely stupid; ridiculous.

ETYMOLOGY:

From Latin asinus (butt), from the general reputation of donkeys -- entirely undeserved -- as being stubborn and stupid.

Not targeted at @BelloWaldi .... this is actually what came up on my random word generator today.... please don't ban my emoticons :)

[spoiler=Proof][ATTACH]23956[/ATTACH]

Um, how come the "want another word? Refresh this page!" Link is purple? If you wanted just one word you just have to visit only the page once and not refresh it....

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Um, how come the "want another word? Refresh this page!" Link is purple? If you wanted just one word you just have to visit only the page once and not refresh it....

Because, when I first found the site I clicked it a bunch of times to see if it would be a good site to use, also sometimes it gives me words that aren't formatted the same way as the others in how it defines them(Pronunciation, Meaning, Etymology), and some of them are lame so I skip them.

[spoiler=June 11, 2016]

katzenjammer

PRONUNCIATION:

(KAT-sen-jam-uhr) awordsmith.org_words_images_sound_icon.png.734b15b3415d450ba4197ddefee21e72.png

MEANING:

noun:

1. Hangover

2. Distress; depression.

3. Confusion; clamor; uproar.

ETYMOLOGY:

From German, from Katzen, plural of Katze (cat) + Jammer (distress, wailing). Earliest documented use: 1849.

[spoiler=June 12, 2016]

ex gratia

PRONUNCIATION:

(eks GRAY-shee-uh) awordsmith.org_words_images_sound_icon.png.30979b31c2a78185d8e3b0d79c46350c.png

MEANING:

adverb, adjective: As a favor or gesture of goodwill, rather than from any legal requirement.

ETYMOLOGY:

From Latin ex (out of) + gratia (favor, kindness). First recorded use: 1769.

[spoiler=June 13, 2016]

nepotism

PRONUNCIATION:

(NEP-uh-tiz-uhm) awordsmith.org_words_images_sound_icon.png.62efde37deee459d423587e99860b322.png

MEANING:

noun: Favoritism shown to relatives and friends, especially in business or political appointments.

ETYMOLOGY:

From Italian nepotismo, from Latin nepos (grandson, nephew). Ultimately from the Indo-European root nepot- (grandson, nephew) that is also the source of the words nephew and niece.

This shit's really trying to get me in trouble... :(

[spoiler=June 14, 2016]

obscurantism

PRONUNCIATION:

(uhb-SKYOOR-uhn-tiz-uhm, ob-skyoo-RAN-tiz-uhm) awordsmith.org_words_images_sound_icon.png.4e0b6be6fd0fefd4c791986787eded0f.png

MEANING:

noun:

1. Opposition to the spread of knowledge.

2. Being deliberately vague or obscure; also a style in art and literature.

ETYMOLOGY:

From Latin obscurare (to make dark).

[spoiler=June 15, 2016]

savoir-faire

PRONUNCIATION:

(SAV-wahr-fayr) awordsmith.org_words_images_sound_icon.png.4679483844135f5427041839cb767530.png

MEANING:

noun: The ability to say or do the right thing in any situation; tact.

ETYMOLOGY:

From French savoir-faire (know-how), from savoir (to know) + faire (to do).