Sign in to follow this  
Foxxy

Are you with or against SOPA?

I don't know if this has been posted yet. I'm too fat and lazy to use the search function. So I want to know where you guys stand with SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act). The Act itself allows copyright holders to challenge the use of their content in any form on the internet. So basically websites like ThePirateBay and other torrent sites would probably immediately shut down. BUT, websites like Youtube are under threat too. Say you post a frag movie with a song that you did not produce, the "rightful" owners of the movie can not only take down the video itself, but file a claim against Youtube.

It's utter bullshit if you ask me, gives the copyright holders WAY too much power over it.

So do you support it? Or are you against it? Also note I am not trying to start a flame war or anything of that sort, I'm just curious.

Okay. Those sites wouldn't be "Shut Down." They would be blocked by your ISP. Your friends in Canada would still be able to see it.

Still, censoring the internet is a bad idea...Remember when China censored the internet? The US was up in arms. Now when we want to do the same thing, somehow it's all okay...

wouldnt be surprised if the US made some sort of bs bill that basically lets them enact marshal law permanently, the way i see it, is that the us is soon gonna be a police state in the name of fighting "terrorism"

Okay. Those sites wouldn't be "Shut Down." They would be blocked by your ISP. Your friends in Canada would still be able to see it.

Still, censoring the internet is a bad idea...Remember when China censored the internet? The US was up in arms. Now when we want to do the same thing, somehow it's all okay...

So technically shutting down the website and it being censored by your ISP are the same thing. In the idea that you can't access them, so to speak.

So technically shutting down the website and it being censored by your ISP are the same thing. In the idea that you can't access them, so to speak.

Shutting down a website removes it from the web. It involves removing a site from any form of hosting. Blocking a web site is not the same thing. However, if it is blocked for you, no, you will not be able to see it. Save a proxy. Schools, government offices, etc. use software to block specific websites, it would be a similar concept (different execution). The site still exists, you just can't get to it.