Sign in to follow this  
McNeo

New Server

I picked up a new server today (got it from work for stupid cheap). It's an AMD Opteron 16-core CPU with 32GB of RAM. I'll likely be using it for a personal BDR server, but also running torrents.

I'm looking for some input on HDD configuration and OS. I'd like to run a RAID1, since it's primary going to be for backup and file storage, but I don't know if I want to put the OS on the RAID array, or run a third HDD just for the OS.

And as for the OS - I was thinking Linux, but I've never been too confident in my Linux-to-Windows file sharing (Samba) so I kind of want to stick with Windows. Again, not sure what. Windows 7 would be easiest to network with my existing machines, but I don't need the pretty GUI for a server. I was kind of thinking XP or try to get my hands on a Server 2008 R2 key from work.

Your thoughts?

32 gb of ram, holy, stick with Windows, it's going to be more tedious with linux, personal opinion since I've had bad experience with it as much as I liked Linux.

Here's what I think I'm going to do, but I'm open to ideas...

Install the OS and software on a single 250GB HDD.

Have all my files, backups, VMs, etc on a 2TB RAID1 array.

If the OS craps and I need to reload no big deal, it won't have much software installed on it. The 2TB RAID will have all my data so it's protected form failure by the RAID.

I fear putting the OS on the same drive as the data because, even though it's protected from physical failure, if the OS derps I could lose more than I want.

if you are looking to be able to access your windows files from that pc on linux, i'd recommend arch linux.

EDIT- I use arch linux on the pc i use for my backup files :)