animeweeblord42

Source SDK- Hammer Editor help

I am creating a very large map for a project for school. I can't really release any pictures because I would get into a lot of trouble, all I can tell you is that its really big. It exceeds the number of unique verts that a BSP file can compile into; due to its size. I found the best way to remedy this is to split the building up into different maps, but I do not know how to load one map into another, like what is done in Half-Life or Portal. (I am making this map to run in Portal 1) Also there are very large hallways which would be problematic because you would be able to shoot a portal into an unloaded map, I think that the way to solve this is to created an emancipation grid before every loading place. How would I go about importing an emancipation grid?

tl;dr

How to split Hammer map into diff maps and connect them using loading screens? How to make emancipation grids in Hammer editor?

Thanks in advance

Use Valve Batch Compile Tool (VBCT) to compile large files.

Now for inserting an Emancipation Grid into Hammer. I have never attempted a portal map, however an Emacipation Grid would probably just be a Prop. Set a entity down, set it as prop_static and browse the World Model for that grid. Once again I have never tried myself at a portal map so I would not know specifically.

For the splitting the game into two differant maps. I've never seen it done but it would seem as Portal should use this a lot.

I'll tag @@snakeboyeric into this. He has much more experience than me.

____

Also. I have a question for you. How is your SDK working? I thought the new Steam update broke it. I am still having trouble with it and would like to start mapping again.

I'll tag CS:GO mappers too. They may help.

@@toob

Uhh. Who else?

first of all, the way the "large map thing" works is that they have entities to load a file which is the next step after the level. I have never in my time of mapping heard of a way to do the thing you're doing.

I may be wrong, but I don't recollect being able to exceed the allocated space for mapping on the grid, forgive me if I am.

For your question about loading screens, I can't fully remember since it's been awhile since my last hl2 map; but decompile an old hl2 map and have a look there. Should give you your answer.

Thanks for the help guys, also my SDK is working fine other than the occasional file not found error; which in that case I just save it as another name AND just recently this started: when I try to compile the map, Half Life 2 starts but the map doesn't open, even when i try to open it using console. It says its not a valid bsp file. May be just a noob mistake of mine.

Hello, I was also having issues with my Hammer editor. Everytime I would do a full compile of a map, my computer would either go into "safe-mode" or it would just crash hammer. I'm not sure if this is the same issue you're having, but I was able to counteract some of this problem by boosting my fanspeeds. Again this may be a different problem than yours because I think I was just overheating my comp. But if it helps, then good

Hello, I was also having issues with my Hammer editor. Everytime I would do a full compile of a map, my computer would either go into "safe-mode" or it would just crash hammer. I'm not sure if this is the same issue you're having, but I was able to counteract some of this problem by boosting my fanspeeds. Again this may be a different problem than yours because I think I was just overheating my comp. But if it helps, then good

Do you use vbct? Or Hammer's compiler?

Never happened with me before so I can't really give a good suggestion, try deleting your local content and reinstalling it. I can't really suggest anything, sorry.