Scootaloo

I Need Input For Our Surf Server. Please Read!

Which is the best option for combat in Surf?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best option for combat in Surf?

• Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3

Okay, so all this morning, I have been working directly with @Ohstopyou to make some much needed fixes to the surf server. We removed !cptele, implemented a 30 minute map timer, and have made our new home map surf_mesa, a great beginner map. But, there is still one big thing we need to make decisions on, and that is how we are going to implement combat.

In MY opinion, I would like to see combat completely disabled so that it just isn't an issue anymore, but I understand that there is allure in combat on surf. But before we pull the plug on combat, I want YOUR guys' opinions on how we should do it. Here are the current options:

1. Leave combat as it is and add the !friendly plugin to the server. Implement a 15 second spawn timer to prevent camping on maps that share a spawn and/or have easy access to the other team's spawn point.

2. Spawn all players into the server in buddha mode. No spawn protection (won't be necessary with buddha), and give the players access to the !mortal command, so they can choose if they want to engage in combat. (Carries the risk of fighting other players in buddha mode, which would not carry a consequence, as it is the player's choice to leave buddha.)

3. Spawn all players into the server in buddha mode. No spawn protection (won't be necessary with buddha), no access to !mortal. Absolutely zero combat whatsover. (It's a surf map. Focus on surf.)

Granted, I am going to include in the surf ruleset that it is suggested that each player bind /kill or /explode to a key for faster respawns, so that's happening with any of these three options. I just want to know what you guys think. Please cast a vote and give any feedback you have! Thanks!

Uhhh personally I think that the best idea would be the second option because people can choose whether they want to attack or not, and there's also no spawn timer

The server was fine how it was. Combat was a large part of why some people got on the server. If they couldn't surf, they could try to learn, fight in the arena, then go back to spawn and surf again. Spawn protection is already implemented, a 15 second spawn timer is unnecessary and if you're removing !cptele offer an alternative. I'm not going to do a perfect run of crazy frog every damn time I do the map. And you damn well better know I'm not starting over every time my run isn't perfect.

The home map should have stayed Utopia. It's a beginner map with an arena that offers multiple places to go back to spawn and continue the surf. The map is easy and all of the regulars love that map by default.

We shouldn't have to kill ourselves each time to restart. It's stupid. Each time you suicide you lose one credit and have to wait 15 seconds to get back on the surf? No thanks. I'd rather have a /cptele bind. Way easier.

We are not a competitive surfing server. We are a casual one. We don't have timers. We don't have a scoreboard with the #1 placement. You're wanting this server to be identical to Resurfed because you love surfing. That's not going to happen. It will never be the perfect server you want it to be. Improvements were to be made to the server, not a makeover. You should have left it alone and asked the community before touching it.

Our original surf server had combat enabled. It was MUCH more player friendly, as if you want to focus on a beginner surf map I think you should make that a specific server. People love the combat currently!

I think you should use !friendly, and treat it like PKMN trade :D

We can also disable losing credits on a suicide for the server, so that shouldn't be a selling point!

My only concern with it is that I am 100% sure that if we do that option, eventually someone is going to toggle mortal, go into a combat area, and get killed by someone in buddha, then complain.

The server was fine how it was. Combat was a large part of why some people got on the server. If they couldn't surf, they could try to learn, fight in the arena, then go back to spawn and surf again. Spawn protection is already implemented, a 15 second spawn timer is unnecessary and if you're removing !cptele offer an alternative. I'm not going to do a perfect run of crazy frog every damn time I do the map. And you damn well better know I'm not starting over every time my run isn't perfect.

The home map should have stayed Utopia. It's a beginner map with an arena that offers multiple places to go back to spawn and continue the surf. The map is easy and all of the regulars love that map by default.

We shouldn't have to kill ourselves each time to restart. It's stupid. Each time you sedoku you lose one credit and have to wait 15 seconds to get back on the surf? No thanks. I'd rather have a /cptele bind. Way easier.

We are not a competitive surfing server. We are a casual one. We don't have timers. We don't have a scoreboard with the #1 placement. You're wanting this server to be identical to Resurfed because you love surfing. That's not going to happen. It will never be the perfect server you want it to be. Improvements were to be made to the server, not a makeover. You should have left it alone and asked the community before touching it.

While this may be the case, there were a LOT of complaints about these very things. /cptele was being used as an escape and a means to camp. Utopia became a deathmatch map and nobody was surfing. We currently are looking into an alternative for cptele, as in a way to load specific stages for maps with them. They caused more headaches then they were worth, so things were changed and we aren't going back.

Like I said, this is how things should have been implemented from the beginning. This is a SURF map, not a deathmatch map with added surf areas. The last thing we need to change is how combat works, and by the looks of it, we will be going the route of regular combat with the friendly plugin, minus cptele for escapes and camps. Sorry, but if people want to focus on fighting, they can go to Pokemon or TGH.

Our original surf server had combat enabled. It was MUCH more player friendly, as if you want to focus on a beginner surf map I think you should make that a specific server. People love the combat currently!

I think you should use !friendly, and treat it like PKMN trade :D

We can also disable losing credits on a sedoku for the server, so that shouldn't be a selling point!

I agree. I feel this is the best option. And we already beat you to the punch. Killing yourself no longer takes away credits. =p

just have normal combat and the !friendly command. Combat is one of the things that keeps surf interesting if you suck at the map

That's exactly why I wanted to create the poll, so we could find the best solution for combat that satisfies everyone. =)

If we're adding !friendly, bring back !cptele as well. If people were using !cptele to get out of combat, they'll just use !friendly if they don't want to fight.

@Ohstopyou @metalslug53

Please don't make drastic changes to the servers before asking everyone first. If it weren't for Egossi, Whyte, me, and a few others, surf wouldn't even be populated.

Okay, so all this morning, I have been working directly with @Ohstopyou to make some much needed fixes to the surf server. We removed !cptele, implemented a 30 minute map timer, and have made our new home map surf_mesa, a great beginner map. But, there is still one big thing we need to make decisions on, and that is how we are going to implement combat.

In MY opinion, I would like to see combat completely disabled so that it just isn't an issue anymore, but I understand that there is allure in combat on surf. But before we pull the plug on combat, I want YOUR guys' opinions on how we should do it. Here are the current options:

1. Leave combat as it is and add the !friendly plugin to the server. Implement a 15 second spawn timer to prevent camping on maps that share a spawn and/or have easy access to the other team's spawn point.

2. Spawn all players into the server in buddha mode. No spawn protection (won't be necessary with buddha), and give the players access to the !mortal command, so they can choose if they want to engage in combat. (Carries the risk of fighting other players in buddha mode, which would not carry a consequence, as it is the player's choice to leave buddha.)

3. Spawn all players into the server in buddha mode. No spawn protection (won't be necessary with buddha), no access to !mortal. Absolutely zero combat whatsover. (It's a surf map. Focus on surf.)

Granted, I am going to include in the surf ruleset that it is suggested that each player bind /kill or /explode to a key for faster respawns, so that's happening with any of these three options. I just want to know what you guys think. Please cast a vote and give any feedback you have! Thanks!

Maybe you could also consider removing ammo, so that it's less combat focused because you can only melee each other... this would also get rid of things like base jumpers, rocket jumping and sticky jumping.... as well as the scout guns that give you multiple double jumping and stuff...

Mr. Lemons : switch the map

My mom|tipofthehats.org : it said to type mortal then you dont have access

My mom|tipofthehats.org : im out

emrickdj : please

My mom|tipofthehats.org : server sucks

emrickdj : don't torture us for longer

Logs from server. GG.

You shouldn't have done anything to it.

The buddha that is currently in place is NOT a permanent thing. Ohstopyou and I were testing things involving the buddha command this morning, and before he could revert it, he had to log.

Geez, don't get your panties in a bunch. It'll get fixed, don't worry.

EDIT: It's already fixed.