Thorax_

[ Poll ] The Salem Witch Trials

Do you think how the reason people acted in the Salem Witch Trials the way they did was because of..  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think how the reason people acted in the Salem Witch Trials the way they did was because of..

• Food Poisoning - Ergot
    • Supernatural
    • What is the Salem Witch Trials?
    • I don’t know, Don’t Care
    • Religion

Probably one of my most random posts yet?

Recently had a debate assessment in class, Just wanted to know if anyone has been in this unit yet or had learned about the trials, and has a thought on what caused their actions. :P

It was because of religion in my opinion. They were strict puritans, in their society you weren't even really allowed to dance or sing. They were taught that they were surrounded by evil so they should be good. They pretty much got paranoid about the whole evil thing and suspected everyone around them. The thing they chose to call those "evil" people were witches. So their religious views, added together with paranoia, are what i think caused it. There were also those that used the whole "witch" thing to accuse and get rid of their neighbors to take their land.

Edit: Are you starting the crucible book?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Read Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God (its short). Puritans were strict and slightly crazy people - it was 100% religion based, with a tad bit of Jerry Springer-esque entertainment for them.

Also, I totally saw @xGShadowSpy dancing with the devil.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)