Osiris

Trade_enjucity_a1

I would like to request the removal of this map. Aside from the nice music selection, there are few benefits to keeping this server in the rotation. Some of the main problems include:

• Unnecessary Blu disadvantage: long walk through the woods from Blu spawn
  • Funky tree collision boxes: sentries can shoot bullets through the trees
  • Random gaps in the trees: classes who can't rocket-jump get stuck
  • Little natural cover: very open and "boxy" map, it gets pretty boring when you can snipe almost anywhere across the map

So . . . yeah. It's a nice variation on a popular map, but the downsides aren't worth it. Take it out.

~Hero

P.S. Bring back Nimbusland! Pls

Unnecessary Blu disadvantage: long walk through the woods from Blu spawn

-very long walk from blu-

I know it sucks, but I did do something that isn't obvious at all.

The ground-level tree line on the left-hand side when you exit Blu Spawn, at that indentation in the trees towards the corner there is an invisible ladder (clip brushes) that allows you to climb the trees and jump over the gap to the important part of the route (shortcut).

I'm not sure if that info makes the situation any better; nonetheless, the scaling scheme I used with porting these maps having 80 units cubed = 1 tile as a reference for the overworld is much better for two reasons:

1.) Not too large nor too small. If I had used the traditional 128 units cubed scaling scheme, then this map would be enormous (not as bad as it would have been for goldenrod if it had been that way).

2.) VRAD would have crashed.

Funky tree collision boxes: sentries can shoot bullets through the trees

Yeah, this part I am not a fan of but I'm sure ColdEndeavour had his reason for doing that.

Random gaps in the trees: classes who can't rocket-jump get stuck

All the newer Pokemon Maps that have been added have trees that cannot be rocket jumped or sticky jumped on.

Little natural cover: very open and "boxy" map, it gets pretty boring when you can snipe almost anywhere across the map

I slightly agree to this but it gives a little bit of a challenge, nothing wrong with a little challenge once in a while ;)

So my opinion on the removal of this map will be a -1

Tags : @ColdEndeavour @Goblins @Bello @Rejects @mrnutty12
Edited by Guest (see edit history)

-very long walk from blu-

I know it sucks, but I did do something that isn't obvious at all.

The ground-level tree line on the left-hand side when you exit Blu Spawn, at that indentation in the trees towards the corner there is an invisible ladder (clip brushes) that allows you to climb the trees and jump over the gap to the important part of the route (shortcut).

I'm not sure if that info makes the situation any better; nonetheless, the scaling scheme I used with porting these maps having 80 units cubed = 1 tile as a reference for the overworld is much better for two reasons:

1.) Not too large nor too small. If I had used the traditional 128 units cubed scaling scheme, then this map would be enormous (not as bad as it would have been for goldenrod if it had been that way).

2.) VRAD would have crashed.

I know that, and you know that, but the majority of players on Pokemon Trade don't know that, since many of them aren't on the forums or otherwise haven't viewed @ColdEndeavour's comments on the map. It'd be alright if more people were aware of the shortcut, but seeing as that's pretty difficult to make the average Joe know that it's a fairly useless change on the whole.

I understand that he was trying to stay true to the original map with this design, but in everyday gameplay it's more of a hassle to many players than something they can appreciate.

Yeah, this part I am not a fan of but I'm sure ColdEndeavour had his reason for doing that.

Again, regardless of his good intentions or creative ideas, this is something that needs to be fixed. Sentries shouldn't be able to shoot through solid walls.

I slightly agree to this but it gives a little bit of a challenge, nothing wrong with a little challenge once in a while ;)

Challenges are great, and it's nice to have something in the map rotation that isn't a Goldenrod variation. But it's not just Snipers -- high DPS classes like Soldier and Heavy also have a clear advantage from the lack of cover, while more campy classes like Spy and Engineer have real difficulty (unless they set up nigh-invincible sentry camps in buildings or behind the trees). The issue here is that it just feels like there aren't any real chokepoints or hiding places and the only natural cover comes if you hide within buildings or behind the treeline. Playing on this map reminds me of that old "tank" game Battlezone. Think about that.

Let me be clear that this isn't intended to bash @ColdEndeavour, who otherwise has made well-designed and extremely fun maps for us (Delfino Plaza is a particular favorite of mine). There are good qualities to this map as well; for example, the music selections are awesome. I'm just trying to provide constructive criticism based on issues that I and other players have had with the map. I hope we can use this map in the future, but there are a few things that need to be fixed first.