Tomahawk

Paying For Steam Community Mods?

Do you need to pay?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you need to pay?

• Yee but the conditions are different from game to game.
    • Nah Man You're just high

So since the Pc is rip (@Dethman thinks it's Gay Pron) I can't access Steam so I need someone to confirm..

DO YOU REALLY NEED TO PAY FOR COMMUNITY MODS?

Like... is it only for certain games?

Is it all the mods, a few of them?

and also why isn't it just a simple "Donate" Button to support the mods creators instead of Paying for the mods and giving the moneyto gaben? (If that's the case)

Steam Workshop Now Supporting Paid Creations

essentially a workshop creator can mark their content for purchase instead of freely available, only on games enabled (currently only skyrim)

i think it should just be a donate button, if you like it donate so the guy can make more cool shit. it should be a visible thing what they are donating for so they know what type of stuff does better instead of this pay2hf

Honestly, I think it sorta saves modding in a way, if you look at the prices for the mods, they really aren't much. (Roughly around $3)

If the mod is any good, it becomes successful and then the mod creator gets motivated to create more mods.

But the problem I have with it is the fact that Valve takes 75% of the profit which I don't agree with at all. I understand they deserve some royalties but don't make it anywhere above 50%.

Also, if you think about it, Valve has created only 2 game, Half-Life 1 and 2, all their other games are modifications to the original HL2 Engine. Some could say the Portal Franchise is Valve's own, but that game is based off of a game called "Narbacular Drop" that two people created and then were hired by Valve to later create Portal

From what I've seen throughout the vast internet, most people are extremely sore about Valve letting people add prices to these mods.

I mean why add these in the first place? People can and will just use mods like they have been. Again, personally I'd rather have more game play rather than have more hats in an RPG. This is Skyrim, not the Elder Scrolls Online.

But let this not scare the creators of the mods away. I agree ten fold about changing it to donations rather than paying. Plus these mods all put together makes a great portfolio for those creators who can probably get into a graphics design job sometime down the road.