Matsi

Surf Server Rules

So... kinda wondering why noone has bothered to make rules for the surf server.... so I went ahead and copied/modified the CSS surf servers for a base to build upon if a DM/DL wants to edit them as needed and make them official(move them to the rules forums and set them to the MOTD on the server.) @Ohstopyou @kbraszzz

* NO SPAWN CAMPING/KILLING

Under NO circumstance should anybody be in the other teams spawn UNLESS a tele-pad put you there, in which you MUST LEAVE as soon as possible. DO NOT FIRE INTO, AT or CAMP the enemies spawn points -- This includes areas that spawn you above, below or anywhere AROUND the enemies spawn area with intention to kill. Also you are not allowed to camp portals or teleports waiting for enemies to go through them and shoot them as they come out. No matter the location, if you are caught firing at the enemies within there spawn or camp their spawn, you will be slain/kicked/banned accordingly.

* DO NOT SPAM KILL BUTTONS

These are used to kill players in jail -- spamming them is annoying and causes lag for some players - you will be kicked/banned accordingly.

* DO NOT SUICIDING TO AVOID DEATH

This is annoying and will get you kick/banned!

* NO GHOSTING

This is telling other players, while you are dead, who are alive where the opposite team is currently located, doing this is a kickable/bannable offense.

* NO TEAMKILLING

You cannot use the kill button to kill your own teammates unless there are also opposing members in the jail, if it's just your own team and you teamkill them, you will be slain.

* NO CAMPING SECRET/UNFAIR AREAS --

You cannot camp in secret areas that give you an unfair advantage, for example: areas with one way glass. If you camp one of these locations you will be warned/slain/kicked/banned accordingly.

Some of these make no sense.

* NO GHOSTING

This is telling other players, while you are dead, who are alive where the opposite team is currently located, doing this is a kickable/bannable offense.

These are so pointless.

"Do not suicide to avoid death" - What is even the point of this? Someone's going to press their kill bind when they fall off the surf ramp? How does this change anything?

"No ghosting" - So it's an offense to say where someone is on a surf map?

Plus, these are jailbreak rules. Not surf.

"Do not sedoku to avoid death" - What is even the point of this? Someone's going to press their kill bind when they fall off the surf ramp? How does this change anything?

To clarify: you can't kill yourself while being shot at to avoid the person getting a kill on you.... not really needed I suppose, but it was a rule on CSS surf

"No ghosting" - So it's an offense to say where someone is on a surf map?

Yes... you cannot tell people that someone is in the jail, or someone is *here* you can't ghost on nearly every server, so why would you be able to on this one... tho i suppose again it's less of an issue since it's a DM server....

they were all just a rough draft, copied from CSS surf's rules... since TF2 surf had NONE.... and noone bothered to even try...

These are used to kill players in jail -- spamming them is annoying and causes lag for some players - you will be kicked/banned accordingly.

I'm assuming this means the boxes on Utopia and similar. I don't see why not. If people lag, maybe they should get a not shitty comp that can run TF2?

This is dumb. I think this should be removed entirely because if you land 1 shot and they suicide, you get credit for the kill.

However, I think using !cptele to avoid death should be thought over.

You cannot camp in secret areas that give you an unfair advantage, for example: areas with one way glass. If you camp one of these locations you will be warned/slain/kicked/banned accordingly.

This is stupid, too. I play surf as my main server, being rank #1 on there with the most hours. Engis cannot build in the one-way glass areas, so I don't think this is appropriate. It's a reward for completing the map, let it be a damn reward.

Major revisions need to be made to this... I honestly think the General MOTD is fine for surf.

I'm assuming this means the boxes on Utopia and similar. I don't see why not. If people lag, maybe they should get a not fudgety comp that can run TF2?

I havn't played enough maps to know if there's actual KILL buttons on any, but it implies spamming the buttons that instantly kill you in jail, most of the TF2 ones seem to have a cooldown built in tho so this prolly isn't an issue

This is dumb. I think this should be removed entirely because if you land 1 shot and they sedoku, you get credit for the kill.

However, I think using !cptele to avoid death should be thought over.

Prolly true, like i said it's mostly copied from the CSS rules, and TF2 counts kills differently so it isn't a problem as much.

This is stupid, too. I play surf as my main server, being rank #1 on there with the most hours. Engis cannot build in the one-way glass areas, so I don't think this is appropriate. It's a reward for completing the map, let it be a damn reward.

It's nearly impossible to kill a sniper in the glass area, and no... someone will beat the map one time... set their checkpoint to that room and tele to it even if you manage to kill them... It was not allowed on CSS and it should not be allowed on TF2

It's nearly impossible to kill a sniper in the glass area, and no... someone will beat the map one time... set their checkpoint to that room and tele to it even if you manage to kill them... It was not allowed on CSS and it should not be allowed on TF2

No. It's not "nearly impossible." All you need to do is have a pyro wm+1 the entire wall and the sniper can and will die if the pyro has hitsounds on. The !cpsave in the room is a good point. How about we revise the rule so that you cannot !cpsave in these spots, but you can camp them?

This would make it so the person has to finish the map every time to get to the spot.

So... kinda wondering why noone has bothered to make rules for the surf server.... so I went ahead and copied/modified the CSS surf servers for a base to build upon if a DM/DL wants to edit them as needed and make them official(move them to the rules forums and set them to the MOTD on the server.) @Ohstopyou @kbraszzz

* NO SPAWN CAMPING/KILLING

Under NO circumstance should anybody be in the other teams spawn UNLESS a tele-pad put you there, in which you MUST LEAVE as soon as possible. DO NOT FIRE INTO, AT or CAMP the enemies spawn points -- This includes areas that spawn you above, below or anywhere AROUND the enemies spawn area with intention to kill. Also you are not allowed to camp portals or teleports waiting for enemies to go through them and shoot them as they come out. No matter the location, if you are caught firing at the enemies within there spawn or camp their spawn, you will be slain/kicked/banned accordingly.

* NO GHOSTING

* NO TEAMKILLING

You cannot use the kill button to kill your own teammates unless there are also opposing members in the jail, if it's just your own team and you teamkill them, you will be slain.

Every single one of these rules is absolutely useless to the surf server. The point of the server is to SURF. Combat shouldn't be considered AT ALL. Utopia has a lot of hidden areas because it REWARDS actually surfing.

Sorry Matsi, but this isn't a very good ruleset for the Surf Server. I don't feel it needs its standalone ruleset as there isn't anything special that needs to be addressed. We can just use the general server rules and be covered. And IIRC, there is spawn protection currently implemented on the server, so spawncamping ALSO shouldn't be an issue. If it isn't, we can change that and make sure it gets implemented. I'm also not sure if using the kill command even affects your teammates. It may do so in CS:GO, but I'm nearly 100% sure it does nothing on TF2.

As far as trying to regulate the kill command goes...that's not a good idea. If a normal surfer wants to use the server, his main focus will be surfing the map, meaning as soon as he hits the combat area, he's probably going to suicide. Hell, if I had it my way, I'd completely remove the combat areas of the maps we use and make it so the instant you fail the map, you spawn right back at the beginning. Too many times I log onto our surf server and NOBODY is surfing, but instead, all fighting each other in the combat zone. That's not what the server is for.

Ghosting...once again, our focus isn't combat. It's surf. Not an issue.

So...yeah. I appreciate the effort in trying to help, but this set of rules is in no way going to be implemented for the TF2 surf. If anything, we need to completely rework how the server is being handled, as it currently has too much focus on combat.

THAT BEING SAID, I do want to address a few issues with the server. For starters, God/Buddha mode is not accessible, and I don't believe any of the donator commands are either. I was also unable to force a map change the other day when the server glitched and wouldn't change on its own, even after a vote from the server, so that should probably be fixed too. Also, to comment on the /cptele command...why do we even have this? Going back to the whole idea that a surf map should be focusing on surfing, why do we need a teleport plugin when we should be surfing the map anyways? I feel like it's an excellent tool....if our primary focus is on Utopia, but it really shouldn't be. @Ohstopyou, any chance we could get those added/fixed?

One thing I do thing we need to implement is a map timer. No more than 15 minutes on any map without a change. Unless, of course, the server votes to extend. That's how most surf servers do it.

Also, can we PLEASE change the home map from Utopia to something else that doesn't have a large combat area that encourages camping? It's a great map, but too often people lose sight of actually surfing and just focus killing each other. I'm all for combat surf, but if you take out the surf, it's just combat. T.T

Every single one of these rules is absolutely useless to the surf server. The point of the server is to SURF. Combat shouldn't be considered AT ALL. Utopia has a lot of hidden areas because it REWARDS actually surfing.

Sorry Matsi, but this isn't a very good ruleset for the Surf Server. I don't feel it needs its standalone ruleset as there isn't anything special that needs to be addressed. We can just use the general server rules and be covered. And IIRC, there is spawn protection currently implemented on the server, so spawncamping ALSO shouldn't be an issue. If it isn't, we can change that and make sure it gets implemented. I'm also not sure if using the kill command even affects your teammates. It may do so in CS:GO, but I'm nearly 100% sure it does nothing on TF2.

As far as trying to regulate the kill command goes...that's not a good idea. If a normal surfer wants to use the server, his main focus will be surfing the map, meaning as soon as he hits the combat area, he's probably going to sedoku. Hell, if I had it my way, I'd completely remove the combat areas of the maps we use and make it so the instant you fail the map, you spawn right back at the beginning. Too many times I log onto our surf server and NOBODY is surfing, but instead, all fighting each other in the combat zone. That's not what the server is for.

Ghosting...once again, our focus isn't combat. It's surf. Not an issue.

So...yeah. I appreciate the effort in trying to help, but this set of rules is in no way going to be implemented for the TF2 surf.

THAT BEING SAID, I do want to address a few issues with the server. For starters, God/Buddha mode is not accessible, and I don't believe any of the donator commands are either. I was also unable to force a map change the other day when the server glitched and wouldn't change on its own, even after a vote from the server, so that should probably be fixed too. Also, to comment on the /cptele command...why do we even have this? Going back to the whole idea that a surf map should be focusing on surfing, why do we need a teleport plugin when we should be surfing the map anyways? I feel like it's an excellent tool....if our primary focus is on Utopia, but it really shouldn't be.@Rejects, any chance we could get those added/fixed?

Have you even been on the surf server? lol combat is 95% of it and surfing is the other 5%, you start off surfing to get to a good cheap spot like the secret room, set your checkpoint, and thenshoot everyone and when you die, you tele back repeat... IDK what you're thinking. Hell most of the time, people jump out of spawn to tele into the jail and kill everyone else.... it's basically a deathmatch server a majority of the time.

Have you even been on the surf server? lol combat is 95% of it and surfing is the other 5%, you start off surfing to get to a good cheap spot like the secret room, set your checkpoint, and thenshoot everyone and when you die, you tele back repeat... IDK what you're thinking. Hell most of the time, people jump out of spawn to tele into the jail and kill everyone else.... it's basically a deathmatch server a majority of the time.

>Pushes for the Surf Server in the first place.

>Has over 200 logged hours on ReSuSurfed

>Over 300 completed maps.

>Elite Ranked.

>"Have you even been on the surf server?"

Uwot. Guaranteed I log more time there than you do. And this is the problem. CURRENTLY, it's treated like 95% combat. That needs to change.

If the surf server were to be managed and played like an ACTUAL surf server, all the rules you suggested would be completely pointless. And I'm not about to start regulating the server as a deathmatch server. Sounds to me like you haven't even been on enough to see that we actually have other maps than Utopia.

>Pushes for the Surf Server in the first place.

>Has over 200 logged hours on ReSuSurfed

>Over 300 completed maps.

>Elite Ranked.

>"Have you even been on the surf server?"

Uwot. Guaranteed I log more time there than you do. And this is the problem. CURRENTLY, it's treated like 95% combat. That needs to change.

Then you should be more competent about the "it's not a combat server" thing.... cause you're soooo wrong, or really high... also... that spawn protection... that explains why I sometimes run into people that are godmode in my spawn with their cptele... lol

Maybe you need to watch your fucking mouth about me being more competent. That server wouldn't even fucking exist if I didn't push for it. It's not being handled correctly and combat should in NO WAY be the main focus. That's why it's called a SURF SERVER.

You have absolutely no idea what you're yammering about. I suggest you just stop before you look foolish. Have you even BEEN to a different map other than Utopia? It's literally the only map that benefits from the cptele command or any of the rules you are suggesting. News flash, Matsi...we have a ton more maps than just Utopia.

In fact, I challenge you to find for me even ONE other surf server where their main focus is the combat and not the surf, because it doesn't exist. If people want to combat, we have plenty of other servers for that very reason. It shouldn't be happening in the surf server.

Plus, these are jailbreak rules. Not surf.

so I went ahead and copied/modified the CSS surf servers

Try again.

Maybe you need to watch your fricking mouth about me being more competent. That server wouldn't even fricking exist if I didn't push for it. It's not being handled correctly and combat should in NO WAY be the main focus.

You have absolutely no idea what you're yammering about. I suggest you just stop before you look foolish. Have you even BEEN to a different map other than Utopia? It's literally the only map that benefits from the cptele command or any of the rules you are suggesting.

Dude, calm down. Why are you acting so aggressive over this, lol. The guy posted a suggestion/basis for a set of rules that he thought might help, and literally almost every reply to it has been filled with hostile comments. Seems like you're losing your temper, but correct me if I'm wrong.

they were all just a rough draft, copied from CSS surf's rules

Just to remind those of you who think that Matsi's word is law and are assuming that this was a "final say in the matter, these are the rules now, deal with it." It obviously isn't some final draft, so calm your tits :coffee:

Maybe you need to watch your fricking mouth about me being more competent. That server wouldn't even fricking exist if I didn't push for it. It's not being handled correctly and combat should in NO WAY be the main focus. That's why it's called a SURF SERVER.

You have absolutely no idea what you're yammering about. I suggest you just stop before you look foolish. Have you even BEEN to a different map other than Utopia? It's literally the only map that benefits from the cptele command or any of the rules you are suggesting. News flash, Matsi...we have a ton more maps than just Utopia.

no, I havn't because the server is nearly always on utopia while people DM in the jail.... that cp plugin should prolly just be removed entirely, it's the lamest thing to have people only have to win once and then tele every round, it's also extremely annoying to have to close the stupid popup every round...

But no, you're probably right... the Surf rules that have existed in this clan for 5 years are completely useless... let's just have a surf(deathmatch) server without rules so we can all just fight in the jail... such fun.

Dude, calm down. Why are you acting so aggressive over this, lol. The guy posted a suggestion/basis for a set of rules that he thought might help, and literally almost every reply to it has been filled with hostile comments. Seems like you're losing your temper, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Not even mad, just a bit perturbed by the fact that ANY TIME somebody disagrees with Matsi over something, there's always a volley of flack thrown back in their faces. Calling me high? Saying I'm incompetent? Acting as if one of the most active DMs has no idea what they are talking about?

I'm sick and tired of the blatant disrespect that Matsi ALWAYS throws in everyone's faces, and quite frankly, so is the rest of the Higher up TF2 staff. He needs to watch himself because it is NOT going unnoticed.

And I fail to see where comments have been hostile. Most have been very structured and supportive. Fact is the ruleset presented is a bad ruleset and we honestly don't need anything outside the general rules we blanket over all our servers.