Stupercrossman

Keyboard Troubles

WOW, its been many years since I posted here, but I'm back....For help.

TL, DR == Keyboard only allows the pressing and holding of - no more than - 2 keys at one time. Extras just aren't registered.

The issue is trivial, but it bugs me and I can't figure it out how to fix it, or if it even can be fixed. It just might be the keyboard, and I can't do anything about it; nevertheless.

My keyboard doesn't allow the consecutive pressing and holding of more than 2 keys at a time. Let me explain: If I wanted to sprint diagonally in GTA 5, or Warframe, or any other 3rd person shooter, I would need to hold Shift+W(up)+D(right).....Normally this would work, however my keyboard won't register the D(right). This doesn't mean the D key isn't working, only the third in the sequence. If I were to press in the order of W(up)+D(right)+Shift, I'd be moving diagonally, but not sprinting.

And this goes with other games like Street Fighter, Tekken, Skullgirls etc, where holding attack buttons allows for easier combos, but if I can't hold more than 2 keys at one time.....combos become more of a task rather than a privilege. Something where I would need to do S(down)+A(left)+J(weak punch), the J wouldn't render. And since order of input DOES matter in those type of games....well, its a chore.

And this works any combination of 2 or more keys. Like if wanted to jump backwards diagonally, whichever button was pushed last, won't render. Or if I hold a bunch of commands bound to 1 key each, any after the 1st 2 won't register, because the keyboard just doesn't.

I've looked into this for a while. Read the keyboard manual/handbook thingy, read if anyone else has this problem (and its safe to say I'm the only person with this issue), sought computer settings, maybe forbidding the use of more than 2 keys at once, and so forth.

Any help is much depreciated appreciated, and many thanks.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

What you're looking for is a keyboard with NKRO (n-key rollover). Cheap keyboards, like yours, will only allow you to press a couple keys at a time, depending on how the keyboard is set up. NKRO is mostly found on mechanical keyboards, but I'm sure you can find another keyboard with something higher than 2KRO for less than most mechs are.

What you're looking for is a keyboard with NKRO (n-key rollover). Cheap keyboards, like yours, will only allow you to press a couple keys at a time, depending on how the keyboard is set up. NKRO is mostly found on mechanical keyboards, but I'm sure you can find another keyboard with something higher than 2KRO for less than most mechs are.

So, any specific keyboards you'd recommend? Nothing cheapo, but nothing super expense either.

I have a 60% WASD cherry blue that is nice. Has everything I need minus the number pad to the right.

I know Das Keyboards and Ducky Shines are really good as well. Corsair has some decent ones too.

There isn't really a "cheap" mechanical keyboard either. I think the cheapest I saw a good one for was $100.00 USD. It was the Poker II. Great keyboard, but it's really small and it's not what you're looking for most likely.

Depends on what exactly your needs are.

Great keyboard, but it's really small and it's not what you're looking for most likely.

My "needs" are more or less what I currently have plus a KRO of 4 or more. My current keyboard is 105 keys (so it does have a number pad). Im playing games with it, so I mean, what more could I need?