SnowyMinion

What's The Point Of Saying "praying For"?

Pretty sure my response was to Forest, not to Snowy Minion. There's a reason why I quoted him.

Oy vey, am I not allowed to post or am I suppose to kowtow to your every whim?

I've seen plenty of people use it as a jab in religious arguments. That is "you're going to hell, but I'll pray for you" to sum it up.Also I don't think most people are "triggered" by it. If anything- annoyed by the emptiness of it's expression by so many.

It's akin to harming to someone and then telling people you've been forgiven by gosh.

Rather than seeking forgiveness from those you harmed. It's a cop-out for the lazy and wicked.

Anyways, may the gods watch over you and Talos bless your kind heart.

(edited for formatting)

I don't doubt that people use it sarcastically or with a some-what hostile intention, but I actually was referring to its use when people are being genuine and sincere with it in a meaningful way.

It's a well-known and often used phrase that [i'll agree] has sort of lost its translation in this day and age, but I don't think that it should be treated in a negative aspect, even if the one receiving the "prayers" is agnostic/atheist/etc. When someone typically says it during times of struggle or what have you, it's meant to be taken in an empathetic way. Sure, a lot of people will argue "what can I do with your 'prayers'?" but it's the thought that counts, right?

At the same time it's near impossible to determine who is being genuine about it or not, and I can see what Scootaloo is getting at. For instance, a large amount of people who say these sort of things outright on say, FaceBook or Twitter are typically just trying to gain a positive image. While this may be the case for the majority, it by no means suggests that everyone is doing it for that purpose. Think of it this way: they may just be "giving out prayers" for the less fortunate as a way to boost their public status, but at least they're raising awareness in regards to it.

All I'm trying to get at here is that it's just a phrase, albeit one that has lost its translation but is still a general phrase that [nowadays] means "I'm hoping for the best for you".

I understand what you were referring to, and I'm by no means trying to argue. To clarify, my first post was just a comment on why some people react to it harshly and call it out. I also agree that the phrase has lost it's meaning, and social media has become this pissing contest of halo polishing. I'll leave it at that for now, since I don't really expect much discussion in these parts, aside from you.

Thanks for replying and keeping it impersonal.

I look forward to chatting with you again.

I'm an atheist personally, but when people say they'll "pray for you" it typically is the equivalent to "I'm rooting for you/I'm thinking of you." It's a sweet thing to say, no matter what you think of the Christian religion.

this, i am not religious but if someone is in the hospital or going through hard times i say Im praying for you because it is the nice thing to say. shows that they are in your thoughts