Kitsune

The Playstation 1 Adventure Thread

Heya, xG. Kitsune here, with an idea that's been tumbling around for quite a while. Many of you have heard of the PSX, the Playstation 1, the pancake disc-baker, Nintendo's enemy. But now, check this, we're old! Like, super old. Some of our younger users have never even played a PSX game, and even fewer folks have gotten to enjoy the more obscure titles. So, here are some rules for this thread.

1. No spoilers. Take that to PMs if you want to discuss'em.

2. Almost anything on the PSX is obscure for today's gamers, but if your title is more obvious, gush a little about how it's special to mix things up!

3. Final Fantasy 7 is obviously more obvious.

Alright. *Clears Throat*

The first obscure game I'm going to share, that is a mixture of nostalgic -and- awesome for me is..

The Adventures of Alundra, 1997.

aocremix.org_files_images_games_ps1_7_alundra_ps1_cover_front_jp_48078.jpg.29ce6d8bcf56c9f58ea945cfe64e4486.jpg

awww.mobygames.com_images_shots_l_26061_alundra_playstation_screenshot_the_village_inoa.jpg.9cbf8089a6f96e1ed9a9c6bd4ee0e2ad.jpg

awww.vizzed.com_vizzedboard_retro_user_screenshots_saves17_1763b78668154347c062bc83a4ee1fbec80.png.5cfccca76bd1a897b917310dca5d0642.png

Alundra is, at face value, a rip-off of The Legend of Zelda. A Link To The Past came out in 1991, and Ocarina of Time wouldn't come out for another year.

While not entirely untrue, this game has it's own aspects and merit that makes it a classic for me.

THIS GAME WILL A. TEAR OUT YOUR SOUL AND B. TEAR OUT YOUR HEART.

Remember when Role-playing games didn't hold back? I can't say very much about this game, other than it's extremely hard, and the story is very, very, very well-written. Sure, it plays like the LoZ games, but it has a few RPG elements, a great sense of scale, and excellent progression for the bold and the adventurous. On the contrary, it does railroad you into the plot at points, but none of it is poorly executed. It tells a story, a really good story, and is definitely worth the time.

I saw it for $6 at a store recently. This game is cheap and worth your time, but by god, it is a very difficult and endearing experience. Prepare to lose many hours to it.

Oh, and one more thing..

YEAH BOYS, PSX-ERA SOUNDTRACK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09kRBA_gbvk

Edited by Kitsune (see edit history)

Alrighty, I got a semi-obscure game to start off with: 5aa4c39a237ec_clip(2016-06-05at08_52.35).thumb.jpg.8df656bad062243a7a0c9e226beb087e.jpg

Fighting Force was originally supposed to be a sequel to my favorite series, Streets of Rage. Sega decided to pull out last minute though because the devs wanted to put it on consoles that weren't the Saturn. This game would've been part 4 in the series

The gameplay is slightly clunky do to it being a 3D beat 'em up. Especially if you had a PS1 controller without an analog stick. But it's an alright game, good mindless punchy punch

astatic.giantbomb.com_uploads_scale_small_8_87790_2261092_box_bfm.png.5f28c6c1e55efcc50809b22b57b739a1.png

Will always be one of my favorite games for the PSX and maybe in general. Such a fun action-adventure game with plenty to find and amusing quirky humor. I'm not really good at typing out long paragraphs about why I like something and admittedly I haven't played the game in a while, but the music in it was absolutely phenomenal and that's something about it I'll never forget. The game sure looks aged now but I'll always have fun replaying it here and there. I can also thank Kitsune there for actually ordering and sending me a copy of it when my old one was scratched too much to play anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBzZB7rZlqA

Sample of the OST, there's plenty of great tracks in it.

[ATTACH=full]23959[/ATTACH]

+1+1+1

Worth a play. Definitely worth a play. I can't say very much without spoiling it, but this game is -amazing-. It's got some very unique mechanics, for an RPG/Adventure.

awww.museumofplay.org_online_collections_images_Z003_Z00336_Z0033653.thumb.jpg.fbdf763c0dec6f357d87994e570a4ac7.jpg

Oh boy. Battle Hunter. Think of playing Final Fantasy Tactics and Monopoly at the same time. Basically, you need to complete an objective. However, you can fight with/screw over your team-mates, who also want to complete this objective. Oh, and if you're too slow, a giant monster comes to kill you all. Have fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=EVNycuVcPxI;list=PL53A83745A3747DF3

Edited by Guest (see edit history)