Thorax_

Social Media Widgets

How's that going? Oh wait it's still dead. It looks like the experimenting is not working out at all.

My way of thinking? Yeah I tend to shoot down ideas that I don't feel will workout(aka a waste of time). Feel free to prove me wrong on this though, what's one thing that I've put down that actually ended up working out?

What resources are we putting into our social media websites? Nothing. We have 2 volunteers on both platforms who not only offered to work on them but want to work on them, and see if they can learn anything while doing so, which is a win/win on both ends because they had 0 activity on them beforehand anyways. Your "waste of time" implies the time spent could be used to better servers another way, but the people working on the social media platforms aren't also making plugins for us so your logic is flawed. Why would we deny people on trying to help us out on social media which as you said are dead? I don't even care if it doesn't get major progress for a year, things don't automatically have to be a success for it to be worth it.

Last thing, Silence has put thousands of dollars into this community to try to constantly improve it, if he had your mindset, xG wouldn't even be up because "what's the point?".

What resources are we putting into our social media websites? Nothing. We have 2 volunteers on both platforms who not only offered to work on them but want to work on them, and see if they can learn anything while doing so, which is a win/win on both ends because they had 0 activity on them beforehand anyways. Your "waste of time" implies the time spent could be used to better servers another way, but the people working on the social media platforms aren't also making plugins for us so your logic is flawed. Why would we deny people on trying to help us out on social media which as you said are dead? I don't even care if it doesn't get major progress for a year, things don't automatically have to be a success for it to be worth it.

Yeah but twitter/facebook is simply not a good avenue to promote. Take a few minutes to research and look at other major gaming communities from cs:go/gmod. None of their facebooks/twitters are successful, why would you use fb/twitter for interacting with a gaming community when there's forums? It's just counter-intuitive when there is a centralized place for everything xG. Have you ever asked yourself why would you go to xG facebook/twitter when you can just head over to the forums?

There's also the xG youtube channel which hasn't been touched in years. Youtube would actually make sense because it can provide entertainment value. Not only that, youtube compared to facebook/twitter have a bigger presence in the gaming community.

Last thing, Silence has put thousands of dollars into this community to try to constantly improve it, if he had your mindset, xG wouldn't even be up because "what's the point?".

My mindset? I don't see why you're trying to make personal attacks on me implicating I have some sort of *mind set* where if I don't see any immediate value in something I just put it down. Because that is simply not true. If that were the case I would not have recommended the curator group/game reviews for xG. I am simply putting down xG's facebook/twitter because it would not make sense for it to be successful in the long run (even if xG became extremely popular once again).

Adding feeds from the twitter/facebook on the forums would not make sense.

Ease of access? Yeah you might make xG social media more visible.

Announcements? Announcements should already be visible on the forums so that would be pointless.

Interesting content? Don't really see it.

The only point of making the xG facebook/twitter more visible on the forums would be for advertisement purposes (HURR HURR). If you really wanted to advertise xG media why wouldn't you just heed my suggestions from a few months ago? I suggested using gleam for giveaways which has a system of giving people votes towards the giveaway if they follow facebook/twitter/youtube accounts. Or maybe providing credits to people who have followed the facebook/twitter. This "ease of access" incentive will do nothing but clutter the forums. Even if you can turn off the feeds through the options, why would you have a facebook/twitter feed repeating what is already on the forums?

Yeah but twitter/facebook is simply not a good avenue to promote. Take a few minutes to research and look at other major gaming communities from cs:go/gmod. None of their facebooks/twitters are successful, why would you use fb/twitter for interacting with a gaming community when there's forums? It's just counter-intuitive when there is a centralized place for everything xG. Have you ever asked yourself why would you go to xG facebook/twitter when you can just head over to the forums?

Who cares if the other gaming communities don't have successful facebook/twitter presences, that isn't a reason to just not work on Facebook/Twitter. It's also not counter intuitive because it reaches another audience of people that might not know of our community, thus why Silence has paid for ads in the past. Finding people to join xG simply from voice of mouth or from people inviting their friends isn't the 100% fool proof plan. I told you Hannah and Supreme both volunteered to work on our social media, this isn't taking time away from Silence, Bleed or anyone who does anything to benefit the servers backend wise, and they didn't volunteer because they HAD to do something, they wanted to work on those specific platforms.

There's also the xG youtube channel which hasn't been touched in years. Youtube would actually make sense because it can provide entertainment value. Not only that, youtube compared to facebook/twitter have a bigger presence in the gaming community.

We never said we wouldn't work on youtube, but you're implying that Hannah + Supreme must do one or the other, you're not understanding that this is a volunteer position and that they started working on these platforms (from literally nothing) less than 6 months ago, Hannah less than 2 months.

My mindset? I don't see why you're trying to make personal attacks on me implicating I have some sort of *mind set* where if I don't see any immediate value in something I just put it down. Because that is simply not true. If that were the case I would not have recommended the curator group/game reviews for xG. I am simply putting down xG's facebook/twitter because it would not make sense for it to be successful in the long run (even if xG became extremely popular once again).

You don't know the value of a strong social media following, or you think it's hopeless to try. I already told you, we are not losing "time" or "efforts" from people who are willing to work on these platforms for free, because they personally want to experiment and learn things themselves. What are we losing by letting them give suggestions and try to work on these platforms? Aside from your comments that suggest they should not bother, there's nothing negative. If our social media follows the lead of the other gaming communities and never gets popular, then so be it.

Adding feeds from the twitter/facebook on the forums would not make sense.

Ease of access? Yeah you might make xG social media more visible.

Announcements? Announcements should already be visible on the forums so that would be pointless.

Interesting content? Don't really see it.

Do you not read what's previously in the conversation? Look at previous posts, where you can see I agreed with Goblins about not adding the feed onto the forums unless we start having content on our social media that is different then that on the forums.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Who cares if the other gaming communities don't have successful facebook/twitter presences, that isn't a reason to just not work on Facebook/Twitter. It's also not counter intuitive because it reaches another audience of people that might not know of our community, thus why Silence has paid for ads in the past. Finding people to join xG simply from voice of mouth or from people inviting their friends isn't the 100% fool proof plan. I told you Hannah and Supreme both volunteered to work on our social media, this isn't taking time away from Silence, Bleed or anyone who does anything to benefit the servers backend wise, and they didn't volunteer because they HAD to do something, they wanted to work on those specific platforms.

We never said we wouldn't work on youtube, but you're implying that Hannah + Supreme must do one or the other, you're not understanding that this is a volunteer position and that they started working on these platforms (from literally nothing) less than 6 months ago, Hannah less than 2 months.

You don't know the value of a strong social media following, or you think it's hopeless to try. I already told you, we are not losing "time" or "efforts" from people who are willing to work on these platforms for free, because they personally want to experiment and learn things themselves. What are we losing by letting them give suggestions and try to work on these platforms? Aside from your comments that suggest they should not bother, there's nothing negative. If our social media follows the lead of the other gaming communities and never gets popular, then so be it.

Do you not read what's previously in the conversation? Look at previous posts, where you can see I agreed with Goblins about not adding the feed onto the forums unless we start having content on our social media that is different then that on the forums.

You're so dense I'm done responding thanks for your wall of text lmfao. Facebook/twitter is dumb for a gaming community with forums.

P.s. idc what you said with goblins