JimenyCrickets

How did your parents raise you?

My parents raised me with an iron fist.

Any form of disrespect was met with either a firm slap to the face, a whack on the behind, or intense physical punishment.

Homework was to be done immediately upon coming home. Dinner was to be eaten on time or not at all.

Report cards were of the utmost importance. A's were expected. B+'s were excusable. B was a 30 minute lecture on hard work followed by a 50% chance of punishment. B- or lower; I was too scared to find out what would happen. I seriously thought they would kill me so I

You always see in the media that the father is the strict disciplinarian and the mother is the kind and coddling one? NOPE. My father was the lesser of two evils. My mom was the heartless one. One time in grade school I pushed another kid on the playground and got sent to the principals office. She didn't say a word to me when she picked me up from school. When we got home she said that if I liked to push people so much then I could push all I wanted. She made me do pushups until I couldn't move. Tired, sweaty, and sore, I was then whacked with a wooden spoon and yelled at me to push more. I'll tell you what, I never pushed a kid down on the playground after that!

The important thing to take away from all of this is the fact that I do not hate my parents for all of this. To be honest, I have nothing but the utmost respect and gratitute for how strict my parents were. For all of the hardships that I endured, there was always a prevailing lesson and reason behind all of it, a fact that they drilled into my head the entire time I was punished. As much as I disagree with abuse and 'beating' of a child; these acts are far removed from 'discipline' which to me, is a necessary responsibility of parenting

Never once was I beaten out of anger nor would I even consider it abuse; I always knew that I was in the wrong when I used a cussword, when I gave my parents disrespect, if I didn't clean up after myself, or if I didn't perform well in school.

You know what ended up happening? I was a good kid; I didn't mouth off to my parents when they told me to do something I didn't want to do, I did well in school, I stayed out of trouble (to the best of my parents knowledge), I go to college, and I have great respect for my parents.

Too often did I go over my friends house and see them blatantly disrespect their spineless parents right to their faces and think "Wow their parents are ing spineless ". You cannot blame the Pitbull who was bred to fight for attacking a peaceful dog; and I do not blame (primarily) the child who grew up without strong leadership and parental guidance. Thinking about it no, I would never DREAM about telling my mother to " OFF" like some of my friends did because I know, even though she is only 5'4" and even though I have almost a 100 lb advantage over her, that she would whip me like a ing slave. And that's how it is supposed to be.

Parents too often try and become their kids 'friend', only for it to backfire on them and results in a disobedient child who ends up rebelling, causing chaos, and ends up finding it much harder to adjust to the real world.

My past having been explained, I would to hear from you guys; how did/do your parents raise you? Did they spare the rod and spoil you? Were they hard on you to make you stronger? Or are they simply abusive and you think that they suck ?

This is not a place to judge one another, but I do think it adds a bit of depth to our understanding of one another and thus aids in our understanding of the community as a whole.

tl;dr but from what I did read, you had quite the childhood! Me on the other hand, I have had a nice childhood, very laid back.

Too often did I go over my friends house and see them blatantly disrespect their spineless parents right to their faces and think "Wow their parents are ing spineless ". You cannot blame the Pitbull who was bred to fight for attacking a peaceful dog; and I do not blame (primarily) the child who grew up without strong leadership and parental guidance. Thinking about it no, I would never DREAM about telling my mother to " OFF" like some of my friends did because I know, even though she is only 5'4" and even though I have almost a 100 lb advantage over her, that she would whip me like a ing slave. And that's how it is supposed to be.

Parents too often try and become their kids 'friend', only for it to backfire on them and results in a disobedient child who ends up rebelling, causing chaos, and ends up finding it much harder to adjust to the real world.

I completely agree with this, my parents raised me much like yours, (not as intense with the punishment though) but instead of it being my mom it was my step mom.... I see why parents want to befriend their children, because they want everything to be easy going and not too much conflict, but as you stated it generally does fireback at the parent. It really sucks to see kids who disrespect their parents with absolutely no feelings of guilt, or anything of the sort, about how hurtful the things that they say or do to their parents.

same with me, parents beat me if i ed up (with like a punch in the face, it was a belt to the lower half, hurt like hell though), they expected high grades etc, and as a result, i learned discipline from them, using ur mind before u do something (ie what will happen to me if i do this?), made me more or less a vulcan without the pointy ears and the lack of emotions, i also took other opinions into consideration instead of just shutting them down if it didnt agree with me.

tl dr: i was raised the way that made me the better person that i am today, i dont drink/smoke/do drugs in any way whatsoever, by drinking i mean like going to parties and getting drunk, i dont do that, i might have like a glass of wine for ceremonial reasons or a beer to get my friends to shut up about me drinking, also i ate a LOT of fruits and vegetables and as a result, i am in super healthy shape in terms of dieting, ive yet to create a rigid exercise program and stick to it

well... My dad is a complete , he has anger issues and he knows about them. back before I couldn't do anything about it because he was bigger and I was "always wrong" but now, having grown up learned a lot and gotten much bigger and stronger than him, When he is wrong and doesn't want to admit it, he starts to throw threats out. first time, I let it slide but the next day i sat him down in his room and told him if he did it again I would him up, he said that if I ever talk to him (the abusive of a parent that i have been very tempted to call child services on before) he would "beat the out of me" so i responded with "you can try but you'll be left unconcious in the room before you get your first hit off. that pretty much shut his up. 2nd time, I got pissed and my mom held me back but not enough to the point that I still broke his nose. 3rd time, he was knocked out in his room and so far, several months later, he has not said one threat. I think he learned!

TL;DR My childhood was filled with an abusive dad that had anger issues, so now that I am bigger than him, everytime it comes out on my mother or little brother because he "doesn't feel good" <--- (his excuse for anger) I beat the out of him. (note this beating is coming from #4 of 5 kids)

My dads always been abusive. Physically and verbally. He has been a little better since i was born, but he can still be abusive at times :/

Was your dad abusive to you before you were born?

OMFG I WROTE THE ING BEST LIFE STORY EVER AND IT DIDNT ING UPLOAD! im so mad right now.....i wasted 2 hours of my life....2 hours of school work.....damn it..

but to sum it all up, i was tough by my parents with firm patience and disipline, without any beatings...