Matsi

Surf Server Rules

no, I havn't because the server is nearly always on utopia while people DM in the jail.... that cp plugin should prolly just be removed entirely, it's the lamest thing to have people only have to win once and then tele every round, it's also extremely annoying to have to close the stupid popup every round...

But no, you're probably right... the Surf rules that have existed in this clan for 5 years are completely useless... let's just have a surf(deathmatch) server without rules so we can all just fight in the jail... such fun.

You obviously didn't past where I disagreed with you in my first message, because I already said I want the cptele command gone. But who am I to point that out? Go ahead and keep poking at it until the fester bursts. The sarcasm is such a nice touch. Not to mention that TF2 surf and CS:S/CS:GO surf is completely different. But I should just take your word for it because you made a fancy looking post, right? Disregard the person in the clan who probably has the MOST Surf experience out of anyone else, right?

Point is, the surf server should not be focused on the combat. We should not be tailoring rules based on combat. We should not be treating it as if combat is the number one priority. If we create a list of rules, it should be done in a way where SURF is the main focus and combat has little to do with it, not the other way around.

1. Remove Utopia as the home map and replace it with a different map that doesn't have a large combat area that is easily spawncamped, like Crazy Frog or Akai.

2. Remove the cptele plugin.

3. Fix the plugins that aren't working, but should be.

4. (OPTIONAL): Find a way to track user times and scores, similar to how ReSuSurfed does theirs. (AFAIK, there aren't any public plugins, so this may be difficult."

5. Increase the map count and add more T1/T2 maps. Make the main focus of our maps to be beginner level stuff.

6. Possibly add /teleport for high-speed compatible maps and include those in the rotation as well. (Utopia has capabilities for high speed tele, but we don't have a plugin for it.)

7. Implement a map timer so we aren't stuck on a single map for too long. (15-20 minutes is the typical length of a surf map. There are also added Extention options for votes when it comes time to change the map, but they usually can't be extended more than three times.)

This would fix the combat issue. I mean, I'd love to get custom maps and remove combat zones completely, and make it so failing the stage results in respawn, but I think we'd need more input first.

I'm sick and tired of the blatant disrespect that Matsi ALWAYS throws in everyone's faces, and quite frankly, so is the rest of the Higher up TF2 staff.

So, instead of telling him off in a thread that has no relevance to his behaviour, I would strongly suggest writing up a Member Protest. This isn't the time or place for that kind of discussion, we all know that. All that you're accomplishing right now is derailing the thread further by stoking this fire you two have going on, vice-versa with Matsi.

Get your point across (which it looks like you have and are continuing to do) and leave it at that without involving his behaviour on top of it all.

Though I have to say, I do question where this sense of authority is coming from in regards to Server related issues. Not to sound rude or anything, but Division Leaders are in charge of managing the Servers, Division Managers manage its players and the like, unless I'm mistaken and things have changed (again). It just feels like there's this sense of entitlement, which is understandable if you did have a hand in implementing the Server, but do keep in mind that a Division Leader's duties/responsibilities =/= a Division Manager's duties/responsibilities.

Would also like to clarify that I'm just trying to contribute by suggesting ways to keep things clean. I am in no way trying to demean anyone, so I apologize in advance if it seems like I am.

@Thread I honestly think the TF2 community should decide on what type of Surf Server this will be, as I have seen both types mentioned above. Just determine which kind is most favourable, and roll with that one. It'll save the hassle of fighting over what is correct and what isn't

Not even mad, just a bit perturbed by the fact that ANY TIME somebody disagrees with Matsi over something, there's always a volley of flack thrown back in their faces. Calling me high? Saying I'm incompetent? Acting as if one of the most active DMs has no idea what they are talking about?

I'm sick and tired of the blatant disrespect that Matsi ALWAYS throws in everyone's faces, and quite frankly, so is the rest of the Higher up TF2 staff. He needs to watch himself because it is NOT going unnoticed.

Don't put words in my mouth, I never called you incompetent... I said you should be MORE competent(as in, you should have seen in that much time, what I have seen in 1 day) that's not the same thing as calling you INCOMPETENT.

You replied to my post calling the entire thing "completely useless" and said that the bigger issue was that you couldn't fucking godmode yourself.... seriously....?!

And then you are effectively threatening me saying I need to watch myself... real nice...if you have a problem with me and my (blatant disrespect), maybe you should start a convo with me and talk to me about it instead, isn't that what YOU always tell people to do?

Back to the topic of the thread: How is the TF2 Surf different from the CSS Surf?

1. Remove Utopia as the home map and replace it with a different map that doesn't have a large combat area that is easily spawncamped, like Crazy Frog or Akai.

I'm fine with Utopia as the home map. It's a nice beginner map, and people love the map generally.

2. Remove the cptele plugin.

The server doesn't automate checkpoints. I'd rather not remove this unless we get a plugin that automatically saves checkpoints. (ie, akai/crazyfrogs have different levels.)

3. Fix the plugins that aren't working, but should be.

Hub, god, buddha, and more fit under this category. I don't know every plugin that's broken, but I'm sure Scoot can enlighten our DLs.

4. (OPTIONAL): Find a way to track user times and scores, similar to how ReSuSurfed does theirs. (AFAIK, there aren't any public plugins, so this may be difficult."

Resurfed has a plugin written by themselves. We will not have one of these unless based @Nomulous helps us. (see his reply in the other thread I posted)

5. Increase the map count and add more T1/T2 maps. Make the main focus of our maps to be beginner level stuff.

Agree with this 100%. I will begin looking for maps and linking them to Kbraszz.

6. Possibly add /teleport for high-speed compatible maps and include those in the rotation as well. (Utopia has capabilities for high speed tele, but we don't have a plugin for it.)

I don't understand what you mean here. Isn't /cptele what you're wanting in this case? It keeps your current speed. Make binds for /cpsave and /cptele during the surf, and just use your bind to tele to the "checkpoint" you created.

7. Implement a map timer so we aren't stuck on a single map for too long. (15-20 minutes is the typical length of a surf map. There are also added Extention options for votes when it comes time to change the map, but they usually can't be extended more than three times.)

PLEASE.

DO.

THIS.

OMG.

I'm not furthering this anymore. It's obvious to me you won't listen to anything I have to say, so I won't even bother. Don't know why I even tried, but somehow I've been put in a negative light because of it. Fuck me for wanting to help, right?

@Forest, sorry about the drama, but to me, it DL/DM...doesn't matter. Ever since I have been promoted, I have BUSTED MY ASS to help shape this community. I've helped renovate and create countless TF2 servers, orchestrated events, reworked rules and procedures, and have supervised the clan since day 1. I've made this place better since I arrived. And MANY will attest to my contributions. Literally the only thing I don't do that the DLs do is edit server files, because I don't have access. It isn't an entitlement thing, it's a selflessness thing. I don't HAVE to be here and deal with this shit. I choose to be here because I genuinely care about this community and the people in it. And when I catch shit for giving my opinion about a server and a game mode I am VERY well versed in, it just shows me the return in my investments. I've structured my comments well, and it's just been thrown in my face because I disagreed.

Doesn't seem like someone who has done so much for this community should be treated this way.

The server doesn't automate checkpoints. I'd rather not remove this unless we get a plugin that automatically saves checkpoints. (ie, akai/crazyfrogs have different levels.)

I believe a checkpoint plugin can be added pretty easy, which would remove the need of /cptele.

I don't understand what you mean here. Isn't /cptele what you're wanting in this case? It keeps your current speed. Make binds for /cpsave and /cptele during the surf, and just use your bind to tele to the "checkpoint" you created.

On many different surf maps, ReSuSurf being one of the main ones, you can type !teleport and it will begin you at the start of the map, but hurdle you forward at tremendous speeds, so that you can try to complete the map in a quick time. It'd be a way for people to try and reach the end faster, but adds no extra bonus to the gameplay.

Check out ReSuSurf and give it a try. A good number of their maps actually support it.

As far as maps go, one that comes to mind is surf_mesa. That map is beautiful and a lot of fun, even at a beginner level. Hell, if anything, THAT should be our home map. It's just a straight forward linear map, has a hidden area, and is 100% focused on surfing.

the entire fun of surfing besides the actual surfing is to reap the rewards of surfing well by killing the other team from an advantageous point. these rules effectively make that pointless. no suicide is pretty dumb also. theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to suicide. big deal if you WANTED the kill, it doesnt mean you should force people to fight until their death. What if there are like 4 people on the server on a map with a non escapable jail and the jail is completely empty. Are you supposed to sit there for eternity?

These rules about killing anyone is a kick is just a "No fun allowed" rule. Just stick with general motd.

What on earth are you talking about? O_o

As Kypari said we don't really need rules yet. The people on surf usually behave themselves from what I've seen the couple last times I was on there. Just go for the general motd and make rules for issues that occur over time...Please fix map timer ;-;