SnowyMinion

What's The Point Of Saying "praying For"?

I want to start this thread off with an apology. If I said anything in ShoutBox that offended anyone, I just want to make it clear that it was not my intention.

That being said, I will stand by the notion that as a former Christian, now Agnostic, I feel that prayer should be a personal exercise and to make public what you are praying for is hypocritcal, as said by Christ in Matthew 6:5-6:6.

It DOES bring awareness to current events, but there are so many more productive ways to do that, such as linking to donation funds or simply speaking about it in a more controlled way than simply letting everyone know you just got done praying about it.

Edited by Scootaloo (see edit history)

But as I said, what if the O.P's word it that way, but don't necessary mean that they actually prayed? What if they feel like that's the only way to express it, ya know, following the trend/flow?

when you started and argument and a thread by posting a quote

all I do is offend, make people uncomfortable, or mad so I might as well get good at it I guess

I don't understand why someone would want to word it that way, if that's the case. I mean, perhaps it's because we as a society have tethered prayer to empathy, so that it's now acceptable to say it in that connotation. "Thoughts and Prayers" basically does what Christ didn't want us to do by making your communication with God known to all others. (In the sense that religious folk SHOULD pray, at least.)

I suppose it mostly comes down to my qualms about social media mostly. We have come to an age where we now openly share EVERYTHING about ourselves with everyone we know. Some little things like this just rub me the wrong way, I guess. =(

Also, @Goblins, sorry if I upset you about what I stated. T.T

Hope you can forgive meh.

I'm not mad at you, man. I'll admit that I got angered, but that's life. I'm just glad that I saw an argument occur without any personal attacks. No harm done, Scoot!

Also, I don't feel as if there is really a need for this thread. I think what happened in shoutbox already captures what would be said in this thread.

I'm just glad that I saw an argument occur without any personal attacks. No harm done, Scoot!

This is something I ALWAYS try to do. If I disagree with someone, no matter what the context, I will NEVER result to personal attacks.

This is something I ALWAYS try to do. If I disagree with someone, no matter what the context, I will NEVER result to personal attacks.

Well I'm glad to hear that. No harm in trying to prove someone wrong. :)

I don't feel as if there is really a need for this thread.

^ What is this thread even.

Just joking, it's always good to see any form of reconciliation. If only 90% of the arguments and disputes that happen here at xG were resolved in the same way.

That being said, it's just a phrase that people use, simple as that. There isn't some deeper meaning to it for most. It's just the way that particular person chooses to say "I hope things get better for you". It may trigger some people (as is the case here) but it's far easier and more productive to just let it be, as there is literally no way you will get people to stop saying it openly. Besides, it isn't like it's a phrase used to jab at someone so much as it is a phrase of empathy. Don't see why it should be called out on :coffee:

Edited by Forest (see edit history)

I don't see anything wrong with it, you can say you are praying for someone just to show that you are aware of something and are mindful of it. Its not like you are bragging or anything when you say it. It seems to me that it just triggers some people for whatever reason.

when people say they'll "pray for you" it typically is the equivalent to "I'm rooting for you/I'm thinking of you." It's a sweet thing to say, no matter what you think of the Christian religion.
Basically sums it up Edited by Guest (see edit history)

That being said, it's just a phrase that people use, simple as that. There isn't some deeper meaning to it for most. It's just the way that particular person chooses to say "I hope things get better for you". Besides, it isn't like it's a phrase used to jab at someone so much as it is a phrase of empathy. Don't see why it should be called out on :coffee:

I've seen plenty of people use it as a jab in religious arguments. That is "you're going to hell, but I'll pray for you" to sum it up.Also I don't think most people are "triggered" by it. If anything- annoyed by the emptiness of it's expression by so many.

It's akin to harming to someone and then telling people you've been forgiven by god.

Rather than seeking forgiveness from those you harmed. It's a cop-out for the lazy and wicked.

Anyways, may the gods watch over you and Talos bless your kind heart.

(edited for formatting)

Edited by Makr6e6 (see edit history)

I've seen plenty of people use it as a jab in religious arguments. That is "you're going to hell, but I'll pray for you" to sum it up.

Also I don't think most people are "triggered" by it. If anything- annoyed by the emptiness of it's expression by so many.

It's akin to harming to someone and then telling people you've been forgiven by gosh.

Rather than seeking forgiveness from those you harmed. It's a cop-out for the lazy and wicked.

Anyways, may the gods watch over you and Talos bless your kind heart.

dude we arent talking about someone who insults another person and says il pray for you. we are talking about a person saying that they will pray for the victims of some terrorist attack.