Ms.Spooks

Wyv's Map Review: Clocktown[tgh Map]

Yes, hi, and hello.

Xg has a lot of maps and an even longer history of them. I think it's about time that we talk about what makes or breaks a good map.

What better to start off with then the closest map to 24/7 we have Clocktown.

25558-b90c335931cc5b1b908ec741d43d5b90.jpg

So, right off the bat let's talk about spawncamping. Love it or hate it. It is a part of xg. A lot of this map has been simplified to "It's a good map if you're on red team." Which for the common server drop in sounds like enough. I am going to say a very unpopular opinion on this. It's easy to camp blu, but it's easy to break out. The problem I see a lot on this map isn't the camp itself, but the players who refuse to break it. I have seen blu camped with nothing more than 1 medic, 1 demo, and one gunslinger engy. Blu refused to break out of it. This doesn't happen all the time but it is commonplace. People want to go on a trade server to relax and not feel pressured to participate in spawncamping/breaking out. That's what the !friendly command is for and all it's glitchy glory. To the next side of things when people complain it's too hard to break out. Which is silly. Rtd is a tool that any single player can use to break out of a nest. Likewise defaulting to spy then leaving a single chokepoint is going to get you killed. Pick a power class like solly, demo, or heavy. If your team already has one go medic. There has only been one time in which I've seen a spawn camp literally be unbreakable on this map. All blu went friendly except one player against 3 sentries, a vac medic, and a heavy, and he refused to use rtd. Needless to say I don't think spawncamping is really an issue with this map as prevalent as it may be.

With that out of the way let's talk about the nitty gritty of the map quality.

25561-b24a1026871d858576a16dc2786b3423.jpg

This map is fairly well made. The glitches are minimal and the environment is fairly accurate to the actual game Majora's Mask.

There are a few complaints that I have. For one the area where you face skull kid and link's garden are inaccessible without noclip. An easy fix would have been to open up the areas during the last day at midnight. The skybox is inaccessible as well without noclip but that is fairly common.for maps. The next issue that I have with the map is that the buildings are incomplete.

25564-716fb8412e4a10c671cd1e0151a23a14.jpg

To be fair, this was an issue caused with porting a game that had no intention of elaborate jumps in these areas. As tf2 is significantly more vertically accessible than Majora's mask. So I can give a light pass on this problem.

This map has a few fun things to do like usable ocarina buttons and secret areas for you to play with including the credits room and observatory. The map is plenty spacious and grants open areas, tight corridors, and of course secret areas. This map doesn't particularly favor any class and can be enjoyed by most anyone. However there is an elephant in the room. It's played way too often. This map as good as it is gets tiring as the interesting things you have access to starts to become nothing new. Unfortunately I think this is what causes players to default to spawncamping for enjoyment. I think that this map in moderation can be very enjoyable. Anything played too much starts to become boring and saturated.

Overall I like this map. I would just like to see it less often. I know that many of you won't share the same opinion so feel free to share what you like/dislike about the map.

TL;DR

Spawncamping happens.The map is good in quality, but is extremely overused.

Clocktown.jpg.093ff35470a162c1daca96410a2b95d7.jpg

5aa4c471dfbf1_Terminafield.thumb.jpg.6fc7f355b5e2809cf4cb0e046db7e165.jpg

5aa4c47215168_Brokenclocktown.thumb.jpg.7048350c94fd45d6535e3a2fd24ce6a2.jpg

Actually the reason why you can't get into the garden/ Zelda's garden, is because the monoclues boss is bugged, it may be the map version we have, but I found a version on a different server that had the boss working, but it had little moons in spawn that would take them somewhere else close to their spawn to avoid spawncamp, and I think people would get angry over the tele spawns since you can't spawn camp those (Cause of tele-spawn camp rule). Still a nice through review

The map is ripped, which is why the buildings are "incomplete". Link was never meant to moon-jump lol. But yeah, I was trying to port Castelia City from Pokemon Black and White into hammer map editor, and the same thing happens. The tall buildings look really nice on the DS, but then you load them up and you realize they're not actually 3-D lol.