Nintendo Switch

Time Spent:

105 hours to date

Do you recommend?

Yes

What you rate the game:

8.4 / 10.0

Initial Thoughts:

When I first started the game, my first thought was that it was an improvement over the first iteration of Xenoblade- and it is! As always, the voice lines were sort of “off,” but as far as Xenoblade goes, voice lines are usually always pretty “off” anyways. The tutorial messages kept popping up for about 18 hours of game play, which kind of put me off at first, but I realized that they were pretty important tips about how to use the mechanics of the game effectively. They weren’t too long, either.

xc2.3.thumb.jpg.c1a642daceb131047fd7018e7d328e36.jpg

Game play and Story:

The graphics and battle systems were greatly improved and the battle system became a lot easier to understand (for the most part). The story is long, just like the last game, but it is filled with all sorts of things. There’s a bit of a problem with how high level enemies are placed in some areas, though. Sometimes, you’ll be walking about, killing the low level enemies to level up and then a level 99 enemy comes out of nowhere and one shots you. Otherwise, the battle system feels nice and complex.

xc2.1.thumb.jpg.6d316b3271f9462bddcb2b4eb1cf7204.jpg

Another thing, walking to each area on the map is a bit time consuming; makes me wish for an item that could increase the overworld movement speed. Another nitpick is the fact that many of the menus and item lists are hell to sort through and could use some settings and options to better organize them. However, with how large each portion of the world is, there’s a lot to explore. But, exploring isn’t always very fun, as some areas are hard to get to without somehow catching a sliver of land that leads to it some way back the way you came.

Now let’s talk about the quests. There’s three types of quests: Story Quests that advanced the story, Normal Quests that give the party EXP, gold and items for completing them, and Blade Quests which are unique to certain rare blades that you summon over the course of the game from Core Crystals- completely RNG! The most interesting quests are the Blade Quests, as they really explore into their respective Blades’ character and personality. Out of the few that I have managed to uncover, I really enjoyed completing the Blade quests for Electra and Boreas. Regular Quests can get tedious at times, but they’re a great source of EXP so you don’t have to grind as much.

Backstory:

The backstory of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is revealed slowly to the player as the game progresses. This keeps the player interested and engaged. However, there are a lot of cut scenes, so going through them all will definitely take a lot of time. Like the previous game, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a relatively in depth background to it. It’s not terribly complex, but it’s also not overly simple.

Pros:

Smooth Battle System

Improved Graphics

Huge, Open World

Interesting Story

Lots of content to go through

Cons:

Voice lines are memes

Terribly placed high level enemies

Difficult to master combat without advice or prior knowledge

Map layouts sometimes confusing

Quests very confusing at time

Final Thoughts:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a fun game with enough to keep anyone interested and playing for a very long while. There’s so much to do and so much to master that it’s even a bit overwhelming at first. I haven’t reached the top of what I can do, but I sure as hell am trying. For reference, I’m 105 hours in and still have about 4/10 more whole chapters to complete.

Neat review, very well-written.

But what about the story? I don't know a darn thing about Xenoblade (other than it sounds like xG so that's cool) :U

Like, don't spoil us obviously, but what is the game about? What's the ultimate goal?

Oh

lmao it's definitely got those kinds of things. Quick TL;DR of the entire game is pretty straightforward: main character meets/gets special thing and the entire story develops around special thing. Companions made as the story progresses. Ultimate goal is to essentially reach "Elysium."

It's pretty predictable, but I still enjoyed it.

Saw a sword, grabbed it and the wrong place, transformed into a waifu, grabbed at the wrong place again, turned her into a sword, and now beating up monsters and people with my waifu. Other than that idk

Oh and also got max nuts.

6F63BC9B-3A00-4C18-AB45-9E73C83E00E8.thumb.jpeg.9693c7755c23ede42cb6f72a9d1c2e5c.jpeg

Xenoblade 2 is an amazing game once you get past the, “a n i m e”, parts.

Seriously this was close to being my game of the year last year.