Forest

3D manipulated animation, yes/no?

Question

What is your opinion on this seemingly trending animation style that takes 3D animation that is then manipulated to resemble 2D animation via a reduced frame rate? I don't know the exact name of this style of animation, so bonus points to anyone who knows what it's called.

Examples:

Minor

Extreme

Personally, I feel that if it's done right it can look amazing (eg. "Minor" example) whereas there are cases where it's just an eyesore (eg. "Extreme" example).

What's your opinion on it?

4 answers to this question

Ok, I think that it could be better (in the case of the Spider-Man show you showed in the post) by improving the frame rate. I personally like the style but not the way it’s animated if that makes sense.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, TheSupremePatriot said:

If I’m not mistaken, this would be the animation style used in LoZ:BOTW, right? I think it’s a decent style but could generally be improved upon.

Nah, not the animation style. The use of limiting frames to produce the illusion of a 2D animation in CGI is what I'm referring to. I have nothing against any particular style, I just think it's atrocious when the lowered frame rate is right in your face (in the case of The Dragon Prince).

In my opinion if executed correctly this animation style would look great. This is something I have seen before but never really thought about how it was done. Now that I know how they make this via frame rate drop that's pretty interesting. Thanks for informing me about this!