Sign in to follow this  
Buckethead

Yay! More computer issues!

As mentioned in my hellos and goodbyes post, I've been inactive due to really fucked up computer problems.

Recently, my video has been hiccupy/stuttering during any application (game or just browsing Windows), my internet connection has been unusable (even though windows says I'm connected just fine), and I can't seem to do anything without these two conflicts. I can barely even load Google, can't even try and connect to Steam, can't play any games, etc.

I recently tried to move some things to different slots as recommended by a friend and here's what happened;

I moved my Wireless Card down a PCI-Express slot, and removed my graphics card to see if that could have been causing the problem. I loaded Windows up (using my on-board graphics instead) and everything worked PERFECTLY FINE! I had a perfectly normal internet connection, I could get on Steam, load programs, browse the web, etc.

As soon as I pop my graphics card back in, I get the problems again. So I would assume my graphics card is fucking something up, right?

I've downloaded every driver/program/update/etc for my GPU straight from Sapphire and will report back after installation.

Right now, the only way I can play anything would be for me to remove my graphics card and play off of the on-board, which might not even allow me to play CS:S on lowest XD I could really only get on TS3 that way.

Please help, somebody! (Hopefully @@McNeo since he's been helpful in the past and is very knowledgeable :P)

P.S. I've wiped the dust off of all of my fans and air-canned my computer clean. Everything has always ran at a great temp, so I wouldn't think that's the problem.

sound like ur gfx card burned out u can try taking it a part and see which circuit burned or maybe theres a bunch of dust in there that prevents the fan from moving and it overheats but if not u need a new one

make sure u defrag ur comp and not have any viruses on it, also u might need to format ur computer, basically erase everything from ur comp and start new, back up any things u need onto an external drive first though

As soon as I pop my graphics card back in, I get the problems again. So I would assume my graphics card is fucking something up, right?

Sounds about right.

Sapphire

And there's your problem... Sapphire is cheap cheap cheap.

Try getting your driver from the chip manufacturer, not Sapphire. Uninstall the driver and Sapphire crap first.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

But, yeah, your graphics card might be dying.

Dammit, I've only had it for a month :L I've seen so many other people run Sapphire without problems...

Also, I'm still unsure why it's fucking up my internet XD

I'm getting the driver stuff right now. Just to clarify; None of my fans have dust including the CPU heatsink and the GPU fan. My GPU runs at about 34 Celsius idling at 60% fan speed (default is 20%). I don't overclock my GPU at all.

EDIT: Going to wipe all AMD programs/drivers off and re-do them.

We have the same exact video card (Sapphire and all)

No problems with mine so it's probably your drivers, make sure you download from AMD/Catalyst all the time.

Ok, I've fucked something up. I can't even get the Catalyst program to even recognize my GPU. My GPU is processing everything like it should be (graphics still look the way they should, Windows Aero colors are being used, I'm still having stuttering though), but I'm getting really irritated now. I think I'm just going to be playing Xbox for a while until I get this figured out. I've got all of the most recent AMD drivers and I've installed the disc again. I think I need more drivers or something.

If your graphics look normal and Windows Aero is on then you're drivers are not completely uninstalled. If you uninstall your drivers everything will look like crap. That's when you want to re-install the drivers from AMD.

I system restored before going to bed last night. Catalyst recognizes the GPU again, but I think the downgrade screwed up my antivirus (I can probably fix this by uninstalling/re-installing new version) and I still have the stuttering graphics and unusable internet. I'm pretty much back where I started, but with the drivers I had before the problem started happening.

I've done some stuff and everything seems to be working dandy right now except I'm dropping lots of internet connectivity. Could be my wireless card. I'm going to go to a friend's house and we're going to switch gpus and see if mine works in his and if another gpu works in mine. Might do a reformat though once I back everything up.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

OK, current status. I did a cmod reset by touching the cmos on my mobo with a screwdriver. I just had to fix my clock and everything is working fine now. I did this Saturday and my computer pooped itself Sunday. If that patterns repeats itself, I guess I'll just have to reset again XD