Bone

FF2 and PlayPoints

After recent discussions and a few threads/complaints on the FF2 server, I feel it's time we possibly part ways with using PlayPoints.

What's PlayPoints? You may or may not be asking. Well, PlayPoints is our current player perk system in FF2, the one that gives the (sometimes working) extra powers to the players fighting the boss.

Why do I think PP (PlayPoints) should be replaced? PP is an old, buggy plugin. How old? The last update was in 2013.

The biggest issue being that a lot of the perks have been nerfed or removed, while a few that are still available are useless due to the plugin not being made specifically for this kind of gamemode. Even then, the ones actually usable can sometimes be considered "OP", "Annoying", or "Awful". Another major issue is that the bosses can sometimes use the powers meant for only the RED team, to the point where a few bosses' .cfg files have been changed to replace their class due to them getting "520 Scout" or "Hyper Heavy".

I'm suggesting that we replace the current buggy and limited plugin to something similar or more complex, and have made a small list of suitable replacements while listing their pros and cons.

TF2Items/TF2Attributes: This combination of plugins allows items with custom attributes to be made and automatically given to connected players who are using that specific weapon. Replace 520 Scout with a BFB that gives Scout 520 speed or replace Infinite Charge with a Chargin' Targe that refills it's meter quickly but does self damage.

Pros

• These plugins are already on our FF2 server
  • Completely customizable     
  • Automatically gives perks to the player using that specific weapon
  • Players can use their own items

Cons:

• Limited to TF2's default attributes (list here)
  • Players can't choose if they want the perk or not when using a weapon with a custom attribute
  • Can't recreate all current perks

Custom Weapons 3: This plugin allows for completely new weapons to be created, using existing TF2 models or even new models. Like the previous plugins, this plugin applies custom attributes to weapons, but isn't limited to TF2's default attributes. The difference with this plugin though, is that weapons will have to be equipped before they can be used, and don't use existing items like the previous option.

Pros:

• Can easily remake all current perks and then some
  • Players won't need to possess a specific item for a certain perk they want
  • Customization isn't limited to just attributes
  • Special weapons can be limited to only one team

Cons:

• Players will have to open a menu to equip an item with the perk they want
  • Players using their own weapons won't get any special perks
  • Perks will be bound to weapons

And finally War3 (second link): This plugin is completely different from the other 2. Players choose a race and they get special abilities and even Ults based off of the chosen race. Players level up as they play, which makes their abilities even stronger. There's even a mini shop which allows players to buy items with credits they earn to give them an extra boost for a round.

Pros:

• Leveling system keeps players coming back
  • Can change races and abilities at any time
  • Passive abilities and Ults gives players more options and different ways to play 

Cons:

• Not even close to our current system
  • Players will need to bind keys to +ability and +ult unless they want to type them in chat everytime
  • This plugin uses individual plugins for each race

And... that's all I got for now. Of course we can simply stick to what we have, but it really limits players to a few useful classes, especially if more perks in PP get nerfed/removed.

If you have suggestions for replacements, questions for the listed plugins, or ideas on bettering what we currently have, post 'em here.

All of these sound ideal whilst still having apparent drawbacks, though playpoints should definitely be revamped or removed altogether. The number of viable abilities in playpoints are so scarce, as many of them hardly even work, making it look even more outdated and underdone. I’ve dealt with Custom Weapons before in the past, and implementing them into the server would add an interesting and unique twist, though TF2Items seems like it has a lot of issues with it. If we’re gonna vote on any of these, my +1 is for Custom Weapons.

Work on play points is something I've tried to initiate for awhile now though recently I hadn't been too hopeful on it going anywhere. Recent complains about certain powers really had me considering removing the system altogether and now actually having options to replace it with makes that seem all the more favorable. I personally like the first and third options, although war3 and it's whole system seems a little to much for something that I feel should be more passively accepted in the gamemode and sounds like it could turn what is a team of players trying to fight a boss into a boss trying to fight a team of mini bosses. 

6 hours ago, Elcark said:

I personally like the first and third options, although war3 and it's whole system seems a little to much for something that I feel should be more passively accepted in the gamemode and sounds like it could turn what is a team of players trying to fight a boss into a boss trying to fight a team of mini bosses

Back in the day, about 4 or 5 years ago, I regulared a server that ran War3 with VSH and it works surprisingly well. But yeah, I agree, some of the abilities can be a bit... uhh.. Boss-ish.

About a year or 2 ago, we actually ran a version of the first option I made on our FF2 server. It worked alright, but that was when I first started working and couldn't update the system anymore due to being busy, so we switched back to PlayPoints. I still have a copy of it, but some of the weapons will need to be redone due to TF2 changing attributes during some updates. That's if we decide to use that option though.

Just a heads up playpoints will indeed be removed entirely for something else, what that will be is going to need some work still. Do keep the poll (https://www.strawpoll.me/15574998 share with friends and family for free bitcoins!) in mind in the meantime, though if anyone wants to make an actual forum poll feel free. 

I like the idea of the first one the most. The custom weapons also sound really cool and could lead to a lot of new unique weapons to explore and mess around with, though I fear this make take time to set up. The third option would likely lead new players away because of having to bind things, and clearly that's too much effort (jokes aside, I feel people would rather lean towards a server that doesn't require having to bind something). The first option seems simple yet effective ?

I really enjoyed the system we had tried out last year with building your class throughout each match. Getting skill points to level up rate of fire, damage, hp, and so on.
Rapid fire crossbow medic was beautiful.

On 5/9/2018 at 7:20 PM, Kypari said:

I like the idea of the first one the most. The custom weapons also sound really cool and could lead to a lot of new unique weapons to explore and mess around with, though I fear this make take time to set up. The third option would likely lead new players away because of having to bind things, and clearly that's too much effort (jokes aside, I feel people would rather lean towards a server that doesn't require having to bind something). The first option seems simple yet effective ?

I actually planned on making all the custom weapons myself (first or second option). I have a way of testing them as well before they're added to the server. Although I'd love to see War3 added, needing binds is kinda a problem. Though you can type ult and ability in chat to use them, timing your ult/ability at that point would be pretty dang hard.

On 5/9/2018 at 7:53 PM, Goblins said:

I really enjoyed the system we had tried out last year with building your class throughout each match. Getting skill points to level up rate of fire, damage, hp, and so on.
Rapid fire crossbow medic was beautiful.

It was pretty fun, but it needs a way to limit how many upgrades you can get. Lest we have 5000 HP sonic speed Spies again...