Hidingmaster

The Future Of Cs:s

I only joined xG and started playing on the css servers this year, and it's never been *that* populated, but its still always been fun and certainly a place where I spend a lot of my time. We still have quite a few dedicated players who come on every day, and at least one server is populated at some point throughout the day.

Now, I do see another option, that is somewhat combined with the second. Right now, we have 6 servers: Jailbreak, Minigames, RPG Surf, RPG Surf DM, Bhop, and sliderace. Only the first 3 are ever populated, not to mention they have way more slots than they need. If CSS Division is costing too much, why not downsize to start things off? Pay only for the 3 servers and the slots they need. That won't get us more players though, so on my ideas on the second idea Hiding mentioned.

On JB and MG, we have new players come fairly often, but many don't stick around long, so we only have a certain amount of regulars. So, what can we do to keep new players interested? As it stands, xG CSS JB doesn't have a whole lot. Bombs, redbull, bank, that's about it. If we can get the devs and any member who can help to work on a new set of plugins, we might be able to have that extra something that makes other players want to stay. Now, as we have so many people asking for Hub, I think thats a great way to start. Why not even come up with something original? For example: A CSS hats plugin already exists, why not take that, add it into hub, but instead of using credits to buy, make it give you hats for "achievements" or something. IE 100 Hours on server? Get a hat. Warden 50 times? Get a hat. Now, that may or may not actually be a good idea, thats just an example. I do think we should get rid of bank, completely. Redbull and bombs are fine, imo. For minigames, a simple hub might keep things more interesting. And of course, we can add more as things go on if its successful.

I could go on for a lot longer, but I just want to say this: We have other servers and divisions that are populated even less, why should CSS go, especially with so many people who play on them regularly, even if they are mods? What's the point in having servers if not to have xG members play on them?

I only joined xG and started playing on the css servers this year, and it's never been *that* populated, but its still always been fun and certainly a place where I spend a lot of my time. We still have quite a few dedicated players who come on every day, and at least one server is populated at some point throughout the day.

Now, I do see another option, that is somewhat combined with the second. Right now, we have 6 servers: Jailbreak, Minigames, RPG Surf, RPG Surf DM, Bhop, and sliderace. Only the first 3 are ever populated, not to mention they have way more slots than they need. If CSS Division is costing too much, why not downsize to start things off? Pay only for the 3 servers and the slots they need. That won't get us more players though, so on my ideas on the second idea Hiding mentioned.

On JB and MG, we have new players come fairly often, but many don't stick around long, so we only have a certain amount of regulars. So, what can we do to keep new players interested? As it stands, xG CSS JB doesn't have a whole lot. Bombs, redbull, bank, that's about it. If we can get the devs and any member who can help to work on a new set of plugins, we might be able to have that extra something that makes other players want to stay. Now, as we have so many people asking for Hub, I think thats a great way to start. Why not even come up with something original? For example: A CSS hats plugin already exists, why not take that, add it into hub, but instead of using credits to buy, make it give you hats for "achievements" or something. IE 100 Hours on server? Get a hat. Warden 50 times? Get a hat. Now, that may or may not actually be a good idea, thats just an example. I do think we should get rid of bank, completely. Redbull and bombs are fine, imo. For minigames, a simple hub might keep things more interesting. And of course, we can add more as things go on if its successful.

I could go on for a lot longer, but I just want to say this: We have other servers and divisions that are populated even less, why should CSS go, especially with so many people who play on them regularly, even if they are mods? What's the point in having servers if not to have xG members play on them?

Silence doesnt pay a certain amount for each server. If you got rid of the other 3, it wouldnt cut down cost. Just because there are a few dedicated players, doesnt mean it should be kept up. As css is now, its a waste of money and space. I love css, I stuck with it since 2010, if it could be successfully worked on, im not against it. But it's because ive stuck with it since then that I've seen the decline more than anyone else, the chance of css recovering from it's current state isnt high. It isn't that nobody can, but there's a lack of initiative because if they work on it and it doesnt increase population, it'd be a waste of time and resources. Css will just turn into our gmod servers, it dies, then someone works on it, populated for 2 - 3 weeks, dies again since people get bored of that new stuff. We'd have to constantly add new stuff, then eventually run out of new stuff to add. And instead of wasting the time trying to revive something already dead, we can put that towards csgo, which has a much higher chance to succeed.

3 things-

1 dont do a lostlogic (cocklogic) wut

2 who the fudge is @Voly a person

3 both seem like good options even though #2 seems kinda redundant. @Bleed we've been bitching to you for css hub for a year (more), seriously man the only time there has been people on CSGO is when we were on earlier. imo its more nomulous that would be responsible for hub

4 if we do move to CSGO what happens to every css staff member? my goal would be to just transfer ranks over, mod --> mod, etc

5 i have downs k

If people think CSGO has so much more potential, lets close down the unwanted CSS servers first and open a couple CSGO servers (MG, maybe surf) and actually see if we can get that going. I don't know how the servers/boxes are all organised but surely there's enough room to keep a couple CSS servers running, especially if that was just going to go to CSGO anyways.

We already discussed something like lower the amount of servers we have for CSS, but silence said that we pay for them as one thing. So even if we dropped down to one server, were still paying the same price, but just wasting resources then. Doesn't make a lot of sense then to get rid of some if we pay the same. Yes, theoretically we could transfer hosts, but thats a lot of hassle for a dying division.

Yes, a lot of people are asking for hub. But honestly, how many of those are actually going to be active? Very few im sure. Would it be awesome to have something like an achievement system that gave rewards? Absolutely. But does it not make more sense to have this on CS:GO where we can get a lot on new players and create a strong division that would last for several years?

Other divisions are less populated, but they honestly need some attention from devs and members to make them popular, especially cs go.

Silence doesnt pay a certain amount for each server. If you got rid of the other 3, it wouldnt cut down cost. Just because there are a few dedicated players, doesnt mean it should be kept up. As css is now, its a waste of money and space. I love css, I stuck with it since 2010, if it could be successfully worked on, im not against it. But it's because ive stuck with it since then that I've seen the decline more than anyone else, the chance of css recovering from it's current state isnt high. It isn't that nobody can, but there's a lack of initiative because if they work on it and it doesnt increase population, it'd be a waste of time and resources. Css will just turn into our gmod servers, it dies, then someone works on it, populated for 2 - 3 weeks, dies again since people get bored of that new stuff. We'd have to constantly add new stuff, then eventually run out of new stuff to add. And instead of wasting the time trying to revive something already dead, we can put that towards csgo, which has a much higher chance to succeed.

Me and shadow have been there since practically the beginning, and I agree 100% that it really isnt worth it anymore to pay for servers that have at most 10 people on for an hour. I have no problem dedicated my time towards making things better, but I think the outlook is grim; plus I cant do much, it rests on bleed and nom for dev purposes.

Well, in the end, its up to the higher ups and silence. 2/3 dms already agree on the shut down, the 3rd didn't answer yet.

And just to clarify to everyone, its not just in the hands of the 3 dm's to tell silence its time to shut down. It'll be based on everyone's opinion.

And sorry for not tagging everyone that is important, i just wanted to tag some old and new people and know the word would get around to everyone.

Other divisions are less populated, but they honestly need some attention from devs and members to make them popular, especially cs go.

Why is this not true for CSS then? CSS as a whole certainly isn't dying, and I see no reason why attention from devs and people in command couldn't revive it just as easily as another division.

Before i start working on anything more for CSS, I need to know there's a demand for it. If we chose Option 1, I would not transfer all the staff. Honestly, there are people I don't feel deserve moderator/admin, and I would not promote them (Not promote whoever is active @DrLee ;) ) Everyone would have to get active on CSGO and earn it again. If you're looking for a MG server on csgo, i would need another server to put it on.

However if we choose option 2, We need to start reworking things. As I've said before, hub isn't going to be the Raptor Jesus we need to fix the servers. For one, the MOTD needs to not be one of @Forest 's posts (;)) It would have to be simple enough for people to actually read, yet still have fair rules. We should also being back things like community night, but actually have it consistently (Every week or so). I would be willing to help manage them. As for adding more custom plugins, just message me more ideas. (Side note, I'm waiting for a gamedata update for voicehook which was updated today for talking to get warden to be fixed.)

I would've loved being told this before I started my vacation, maybe weeks before, then I could've worked on something. Though up to you guys, if I'm needed, I can work with bleed.

At the very least, i need to know the natives/forwards for developing hub modules. Is it the same as the store plugin? Can i get access to a database to actually use a hub that doesn't use clientprefs to store credits, and items people have bought? Can i get access to the hub source code?

3 things-

1 dont do a lostlogic (cocklogic)

2 who the fudge is @Voly

3 both seem like good options even though #2 seems kinda redundant. @Bleed we've been bitching to you for css hub for a year (more), seriously man the only time there has been people on CSGO is when we were on earlier.

4 if we do move to CSGO what happens to every css staff member?

You've been bitching at me for hub for a year? What? I haven't even been developing plugins for a year. I haven't even had CSS server access for over a month.

get rekt

Why is this not true for CSS then? CSS as a whole certainly isn't dying, and I see no reason why attention from devs and people in command couldn't revive it just as easily as another division.

In my opinion, no its not dying... it is unfortunately dead already. Everyday CSS is losing players due to its age, while on the flipside CSGO should be gaining people. I don't disagree that some TLC for CSS could revive it, but I only see it working for a very limited amount of time. Its a balance between the two.

CSS: Fix it

Add features and make it fun and exciting again > potentially increase population and activity of servers, but if it fails it will waste time and money

OR

CSGO: Start it and work on it

Add features that differentiate, gain population, save money since no more CSS upkeep

Before i start working on anything more for CSS, I need to know there's a demand for it. If we chose Option 1, I would not transfer all the staff. Honestly, there are people I don't feel deserve moderator/admin, and I would not promote them (Not promote whoever is active @DrLee ;) ) Everyone would have to get active on CSGO and earn it again. If you're looking for a MG server on csgo, i would need another server to put it on.

However if we choose option 2, We need to start reworking things. As I've said before, hub isn't going to be the Raptor Jesus we need to fix the servers. For one, the MOTD needs to not be one of @Forest 's posts (;)) It would have to be simple enough for people to actually read, yet still have fair rules. We should also being back things like community night, but actually have it consistently (Every week or so). I would be willing to help manage them. As for adding more custom plugins, just message me more ideas. (Side note, I'm waiting for a gamedata update for voicehook which was updated today for talking to get warden to be fixed.)

At the very least, i need to know the natives/forwards for developing hub modules. Is it the same as the store plugin? Can i get access to a database to actually use a hub that doesn't use clientprefs to store credits, and items people have bought? Can i get access to the hub source code?

You've been bitching at me for hub for a year? What? I haven't even been developing plugins for a year. I haven't even had CSS server access for over a month.

get rekt

My concern with stripping a lot of the ranks of people is that it would be counter intuitive to what we need in CSGO, which is a strong base to support it. If people lose ranks, they are more prone to leaving and thus dwindles down any hope of getting population from xG to start with. Being that CSS and CSGO are practically the same, especially with jb, I see no reason to really be concerned with transferring most, if not all current staff.

My concern with stripping a lot of the ranks of people is that it would be counter intuitive to what we need in CSGO, which is a strong base to support it. If people lose ranks, they are more prone to leaving and thus dwindles down any hope of getting population from xG to start with. Being that CSS and CSGO are practically the same, especially with jb, I see no reason to really be concerned with transferring most, if not all current staff.

It might be the fact that staff are no longer picked on the basis of how they act in the server, knowledge of the rules, or how helpful they are, but of how active they are. I won't name names, I just would not have promoted many people over the past few months.