Vector

Death Threats

My opinion:

Telling people to kill themselves is disrespcet.

It should be treated the same way: Warn => Gag => Kick => Ban and so on.

Telling people that you are actually going to kill them in real life or suicide threats should be nerfed, but still taken seriously. Those should cause only one warning and if he goes on an immediate, not permanent, ban afterwards.

Examples:

Death threat: Person 1: I will kill you if you don't give me a hug.

Person 2: Okay okay... Death threat much...

Suicide threat:

Person 1: I will kill myself if you don't give me a hug.

Person 2: Okay okay... Death suicide threat much...

Not to butt in or anything, it isn't in my place and honestly I only read 3/4 of what was said here (most of it seems to be the same stuff, just reworded) but I feel like y'all are going to crack under all of this. Keep in mind that this is all just personal opinion, so feel free to disregard it if you so choose to. I'm not here to start a debate or argument.

I'm not sure what it is with the TF2 Division (not pulling favoritism in Divisions or whatever, so please do not treat it that way) but it seems like the most ludicrous rules seem to float around here. Examples like banning the "lenny face" or just generally trying to put a punishment on trolling that has been sub-categorized to the point of "offenses" blending and meshing together into a mass of "I have no freaking idea on how long I should ban this guy, or even if I should ban this guy."

I get that there is this desire to keep the Server(s) clean and inviting to new players, but putting restrictions on things that are incredibly difficult to determine (which is apparent from this thread alone) puts a lot of stress on both Staff and Higher-Ups. The problem that I see here, is that you guys are determining for the players what is/isn't serious. Simply put, you're all so focused on keeping things clean, that you're assuming that everyone is offended to one set thing, in this particular case, "death threats". I understand that "cyber-bullying" has become this new huge intimidating thing that should be prevented, but at the same time you're only offended to what you find offensive.

At this point, I'm rambling but I want to stress that not everyone treats a certain message the same way, especially when it is relayed through text on a free to play game. It goes without saying that there are cases in which straight up disrespect just makes the environment toxic (IE. Someone who is excessively cursing at anyone/everyone for no reason at all other than to just cause a shit-storm) and those should be dealt with; but putting bans on cases that some people may find offensive seems like something that will just open up a can of worms.

There is a reason we have sections labelled "Ban Request" or "Member Protest". Instead of deciding who is/isn't being offended and teaching people that their problems can be solved by just having others do their work for them; let those who are offended say that they are offended. And that goes hand-in-hand with respecting their opinion(s) as well. This requires you to use your better judgement, rather than blindly banning people left right and centre for saying something that may have had absolutely no effect on whomever it was directed at. Lets be honest, there's no way you can tell if someone is offended by what another person says, unless they say they were, and even then it's difficult to tell if they're telling the truth. But again, use common sense. People cry wolf all the time as well.

TL;DR - I suggest not [permanently] banning people based on something that is completely up to personal opinion. What bothers some people, may not bother others at all.

Examples like banning the "lenny face"

but forest, you have not seen what i have seen. Lenny face, literally everywhere. it's a warzone my old friend. i feel like a vet who lost both his legs when i see the chat with NOTHING but lenny face. We should perm everyone who lenny faces. plz make a plugin that automatically perms ppl for making any sort of lenny face.

Although I am not even a member, it should honestly be a long term-perm banning.

A Death Threat, and encouragement for someone to commit self harm is not something you should take lightly, so I am not sure why you think it is something that should be built up.But if they do end up being a built up punishment. The user being threatened can just call the cops, asuming the player lives in the U.S.

"Death threats are annoying in the extreme, but try not to let them ruin your life. As we’ve discussed, most are simply hollow words meant to upset, annoy and harass you. Don’t fall for the tactic."Lucibella, Rich. 'Knights Armament SR15-E3 Carbine | SWAT Magazine'. Swatmag.com. N.p., 2012. Web. 7 July 2015.

Also fix the black list so asuming can be as-suming and not assuming

Ok, I also believe a insta-perm for this is not the best idea. Most of the times, it's probably just a mad kid that might've been just having a bad day (like if his significant other left him), and then we just outright perm him INSTANTLY, then I don't think that's the right course of action to deal with it, and the player probably feels like he was a bit wronged for not even being warned. And if you feel like you're I feel that it should first be a warning or a gag, and then if they keep doing it, then ban them for just 1 day. Sure, it might not sound like a long time, but the point of this is to show them that we WILL enforce the rule, and not just say it. Think of it this way, if someone bans you for 1 day, you'll still think about what you did and try to possibly improve it if you want to play on that server again. But if you get banned for 7 days, then the same effect will come out. If the one day ban doesn't do anything, then just perm them.

So in the end, I feel that order should be this -VVVV-

Warning (Gag) ---> 1 Day Ban ---> Permanent

Edit1: After reading what @Forest said, I feel as we should possibly just re-write our social rules anew.(Different from server rules)

Edit2: @Giraffes, it's meant to be a warning, because they might not know that saying "kill yourself" could result you in a ban. (Which in our current case, would instantly lead to a perm.) And before anyone says "why didn't they read the rules?". When was the last time you went on to some random trade server and typed in !rules/!motd?