ArminArmout

Overwatch?

Note I said "Team Fortress" and not TF2. The original TF was where rocket jumping was "invented" by the players, and no, it was not intended. Also, play some Lucio if you're still convinced there's no skill based movement in OW. =) And what I said about TF accidentally creating rocket jumping is a fact. I couldn't give less fricks about your opinions, I'm just correcting some of your incorrect facts.

TF didn't even create it... It was a bug with the original DOOM engine, not inherent to TF. Also, RJing was more discovered rather than invented. Granted it didn't get much vertical movement until games like quake (which QWTF was made on). A simple google search is all it takes.

Quake TF DID NOT create Rocket jumping, it just was created on the same engine as the feature and became popular among the players. Due to Valve's lax policy with it around the creation of Half-Life, TFC had the feature in the engine as well. Players enjoyed and used this as well as things like bhops so much that Valve decided to implement the feature into TF2 when their stance on the subject was more clearly defined.

I don't care how much you care for my opinions, but if you are going to correct some facts, at least know the correct origins for it.

On the note of Lucio, he can run on walls. Ok, still not all that hard to master IMO. He may be harder movement wise when compared to other characters, but it still really isn't that hard. (side info, in the open beta Lucio was my second most time played, right behind Junkrat [also features an explosive jump])

Even then, One or two out of 21 is not all that much.

I think one of my favorite things about overwatch is that it really condenses the game down into just the combat. There's keeping track of how much damage you've done, because you can see the enemy's health, health packs are less frequent then tf2 so you have to rely more on your heros innate healing (if they have it) or your healer to get back health as appose to running around and picking up health, infinite ammo makes it so ammo management isn't a thing, and you don't have to put too much time into learning how each character moves. Instead of dealing with all that stuff, you can spend all your time learning how all the matchups work and how each character's kit can best be utilized. I'm not saying all the other stuff is bad, but it's not stuff i personally enjoy. Overwatch takes all that away and still manages to have incredibly unique and engaging combat without distractions, and I find it very enjoyable.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I think one of my favorite things about overwatch is that it really condenses the game down into just the combat. There's keeping track of how much damage you've done, because you can see the enemy's health, health packs are less frequent then tf2 so you have to rely more on your heros innate healing (if they have it) or your healer to get back health as appose to running around and picking up health, infinite ammo makes it so ammo management isn't a thing, and you don't have to put too much time into learning how each character moves. Instead of dealing with all that stuff, you can spend all your time learning how all the matchups work and how each character's kit can best be utilized. I'm not saying all the other stuff is bad, but it's not stuff i personally enjoy. Overwatch takes all that away and still manages to have incredibly unique and engaging combat without distractions, and I find it very enjoyable.

As a support player, I agree completely. The team actually has to rely on a support, in some aspect. With TF2's Medic, you could totally just all play scout in a pub and go crazy with the health packs. I feel so much more impactful playing Lucio or Mercy.

imo, overwatch isn't a game that should be compared to tf2. tf2 and overwatch, while having fairly similar game modes and cartoony style, are nothing close to be similar at all. tf2, while having different and diverse characters like overwatch, has many for different purposes and the characters are much more different and situational than tf2. also, overwatch characters have (simplified) moba like abilities and ultimates (kinda like leagues QWER). to be skilled in tf2, you must have 3 things: good game sense, good movement, and good DM (basically ability to aim at people and kill). in overwatch, you must have situational awareness, game sense, movement for few characters, timing, and dm (but not nearly as much as tf2). Overwatch is more similar to fucking black ops 3 with how the characters are designed with abilities that must be charged up. overwatch works much more being compared to mobas and shooters with heroes, not classes. classes are much different than heroes. Like I previously stated, classes, like in tf2, usually only have different weapons and a unique ability. heroes, being founded in the rising fps hero genre and mobas, usually have a larger variety of abilities, majorly different weapons (some not being guns), and require the player to know when to use the right hero. The hero system is much more complicated than the class system, which is not bad nor good. now i know im being hypocritical because i just compared these games, and please refrain from toxicity if you criticize this post (which is perfectly fine in itself, im expecting my argument to have some flaws) but please stop comparing tf2 and overwatch so damn much lol.