Chrono

Calling All International Chumps

I already have a vacation planned for September staying in the US, but after that in the next year I plan on starting to do a lot of world travelling. This thread is requesting all you international folk to state some things that hopefully can help me plan some fun vacation/travels.

Please state the following:

• What country you are from (if applicable/you want to, your state/city/province) and just briefly list out your major tourist-y things that happen where you are from.
  • What time of year/season would be in your opinion the best time to visit your country/locale
  • Any local festivals/fairs that would typically happen annually, and when they are that you would recommend stopping by to see/experience
  • Any good sight seeing areas outside of the tourist traps (hiking areas, cliff sides, hills, lakes, etc.)
  • How the day/night life are
  • Good restaurants/food stands that are a must stop at (my gf and I love food and trying local cuisines)
  • (If of legal drinking age in your country) any good bars/pubs that you would recommend visiting

My personal list for those planning on coming to the US:

• Southern California (Anaheim area, think Disneyland)
  • Obviously the major tourist things to do in SoCal at least are Disneyland, Hollywood (star walk, celebrity bus, clubs/bars, Universal Studios), Six Flags (Amusement park with all thrill rides, no kids shit.)
  • It's basically always summer here, so I would recommend coming during fall/spring if possible while school is still in session/starting to avoid major crowds (closing time for theme parks etc. does go down to an earlier time, but you will be able to experience everything a lot faster)
  • If coming around spring time, the greek church across the street from me hosts the OC greek fair which lets you try all sorts of locally made products and traditional greek food.
  • Personally I would recommend camping/hiking and that doesn't just apply to SoCal, but to the rest of the US as well. There are really nice national parks/forests that do get a lot of international travelers coming to camp and enjoy nature such as
    • Yosemite National Park in Northern California with amazing views, and with the recent rains the falls should be back to a great picture to keep
    • Zion National Park in Utah which is one of the larger areas in all of the US and hosts spectacular hikes ranging from easy/short 1-2 mile hikes round trip, to medium 4-5 mile hikes round trip, to intense 8-12 mile hikes one way resulting in 16-24 round trip but with some of the most amazing views you can find in nature.
    • Grand Canyon NP, which is pretty self explanatory, the hike down is relaxing and you just have to worry about not going too fast. The trip up is intense and takes the majority of your hike.

[*]Day life is pretty chill, most travelers/people off spend the days at theme parks like disney.

[*]Night life can range from nothing to bat shit crazy, notable areas are West Hollywood with all the gay bars/clubs, and then downtown fullerton with the not gay bars/clubs

[*]Most restaurants you will find here are chains, if you want the good food as you go down the streets if you see a hole in the wall looking place, it will have some of the best food you will find.

[*]good bars/pubs see above about night life. most are good but they will be packed.

Tagging some foreigners: @virr @Egossi @Ruby_da_Cherry @Aegean @Forest @Rejects

I'm personally going to use this thread to start planning some of my trips, and maybe it will be a good resource for some of you guys that may plan on travelling in the future, this is not just for outside of US homies to post in either, in US are more than welcome to post about their local areas for others planning to travel in/to the US

What country you are from (if applicable/you want to, your state/city/province) and just briefly list out your major tourist-y things that happen where you are from.

Europe, Germany, Wiesbaden

Nothing really special here, it's a modern city with a few [extremely boring] cultural things. Ironically this is (as far as I know) Germany's city with the most American population, as a lot of veterans have settled here, hence we have some American areas with American stores where you can even pay with dollars.

What time of year/season would be in your opinion the best time to visit your country/locale

Honestly, just don't. If anything during summer because we have nice wheather during summer.

Any local festivals/fairs that would typically happen annually, and when they are that you would recommend stopping by to see/experience

We have a few annual/"traditional" events where you just get drunk. But quite frankly, just don't come here. It's boring as fuck as a vacation place. We, however, do also have a German/American Friendship Fest lmao.

Any good sight seeing areas outside of the tourist traps (hiking areas, cliff sides, hills, lakes, etc.)

Not really.

How the day/night life are

You can spend a lot of money on food in like the central part of the city and there are a lot of clubs (for the nights hehe!).

Good restaurants/food stands that are a must stop at (my gf and I love food and trying local cuisines)

As a student, I don't really go to restaurants. I could suggest some nice places to eat pizza though, ha.

But there is this pretty expensive American steak house I was recently at, which was great. (>going to a foreign country to go to American restaurants, I don't think that's something you would wanna do though.)

Steak - Steakhouse

(If of legal drinking age in your country) any good bars/pubs that you would recommend visiting

The drinking age is 16 for drinks with like low amounts of alcohol (esentially beer & wine) and 18 for liquor here. I wouldn't consider any bars outstanding or anything, but we also do have a few American bars here.

All in all I can say that you should probably go to a nicer country, or if you wanna visit Germany, go to Frankfurt (am I right @Yu_Narukami!!!!!!!!).

this was probably not useful at all, but i can't help it.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

• What country you are from (if applicable/you want to, your state/city/province) and just briefly list out your major tourist-y things that happen where you are from.

England. Umm eating fish and chips, snacking on crumpets and drinking nothing but Tea. Touristy things include riding a giant wheel, seeing a giant clock, seeing an old building an old lady lives in and riding in black cars and red buses.

• What time of year/season would be in your opinion the best time to visit your country/locale

Doesn't matter its always wet and cold here. Bring a raincoat and wellie boots.

• Any local festivals/fairs that would typically happen annually, and when they are that you would recommend stopping by to see/experience

Bonfire night where we celebrate some terrorist trying to blow up the houses or parliament.

(no actually we celebrate the plan failing, but its still odd)

. Its just like Independence day for you Americans except we set fire to huge piles of wood as well as light fireworks because why not. Then theres Glastonbury music festival in June and Notting Hill Carnival in August.

• Any good sight seeing areas outside of the tourist traps (hiking areas, cliff sides, hills, lakes, etc.)

If you go to certain bus shelters you can find the infamous chav in its natural habitat, Don't try to interact with it as it may become aggressive and start walking into you while calling you a bellend.

• How the day/night life are

Flipping cold and full of drunk chavs.

• Good restaurants/food stands that are a must stop at (my gf and I love food and trying local cuisines)

Fish and chip shops especially if you are on the coast.

• (If of legal drinking age in your country) any good bars/pubs that you would recommend visiting

No idea.

In turkey, there are a lot of touristic areas all depending on what you wanna travel for

anything should be pretty cheap as well since our currency strength is shitting itself as of right now, your $1 would be worth $4 here basically

if you want to have a chill holiday near some real proper shores where you can swim for hours on end, take part in social events etc. i'd reccomend going to places like Antalya, Çeşme or Bodrum (which i will be going to this summer)

as you might know, Turkey has shores to the Mediterranean sea, part of which is called the Aegean sea here ("Ege denizi" in turkish)

aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_6df1cc04e5b3be7aa188d8bcca398dd1._.jpg.a2dd1956502666d53727bb8d548ea367.jpg

(picture of the place ill be going to, its named Sea Garden)

If you wish to go sightseeing we have a bunch of those kinda places as well Türkiye'den 20 Doğal Güzellik - Haberself look at the pictures in that link for reference

if you are interested in sightseeing then i recommend travelling to Istanbul first, then buying tickets for a tour bus that takes you all around the country and lets you take a good look at all the interesting places for short periods of time, with the help of a tour guide

What time of year/season would be in your opinion the best time to visit your country/locale

summer, unless you wanna do snow related sports, which i dont think youd wanna come to turkey specifically for that

Good restaurants/food stands that are a must stop at (my gf and I love food and trying local cuisines)

No specific places but most foreigners find traditional turkish food to be unique and nice

(If of legal drinking age in your country) any good bars/pubs that you would recommend visiting

Nah, all alcoholic beverages are imported and pretty expensive here, but you wouldnt have a problem drinking as there is no legal drinking age although if you look under 18 you might not be able to buy any (im 16 and they sell me alcohol cause i look like a 18-20 yo lul)

Edited by Egossi (see edit history)