Forest

Is Sea of Thieves worth the Plunder

Question

Is Sea of Thieves worth the money? As someone who rarely has time for games (and with games costing a pretty penny) I wanted to hear from the community before taking any sort of plunge.

Would you say that it's a game that has a lot of mileage, or is it the kind of game you'd drop like a sack of potatoes after about a month (think Destiny- any game that stagnates once a "cap" is hit and requires something new to keep it fresh)?

Edited by Forest (see edit history)

7 answers to this question

@Forest I haven't tried the game it seems really fun if you have a crew to play with.

Also instead of paying a full $60 price, I suggest do an xbox game pass. It's 14-days free trial then becomes $9.99 subscription. 

Here's my details for everyone who wants to try out the game before buying it. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-game-pass

MUST HAVE XBOX APP AND WINDOWS STORE

I alpha tested it twice and a beta test as well. In terms of content, yeah it's lacking. Between alpha and full release, nothing was really added that wasn't grind-mechanics. However announcements saying they will be pushing out content regardless for years to come have been circulating, so maybe it's something you pickup later.

word on the street is it's a mix between the no mans sky hype and the lack of content after 3 hours from d2 (all islands and bosses are basically the same and the only real content is world pvp, but most avoid it outright/log out cheesing)

5 hours ago, virr said:

Fairly sure it suffers from the destiny 2 problems, hard pass from me.

Mind elaborating on this? I haven't played d2 so I'm not sure what the problems were.

As for the game itself, there are a few problems right now with collecting your loot, login problems etc.. however, the devs are being extremely transparent on what they are fixing and the problems that are clearly hurting the game right now, having released an update video on it within 24 hours of the problems becoming clear.

I have only played like 15 mins of it since release since I have had no time to play much of anything lately, in that time I did notice the loot glitches, which you eventually receive anyways, it was just server delay on most of the problems that people are talking about, but other than the pricetag, I definitely recommend the game.  Played all the betas and I had some of the most fun I've ever had in any game in those betas.. its great fun with randoms in your crew, and even more fun when you're playing with friends.  A few of my friends and myself picked up the game and are gonna being playing a lot of it for a good long while, so if you decide to get it just message me and we will be more than happy to welcome you aboard our ship!  

On 3/22/2018 at 1:36 PM, Caleb956 said:

Mind elaborating on this? I haven't played d2 so I'm not sure what the problems were.

Story was fairly short and tbh a little bland. end game grinding out the gear level was strikes and "after story, quest missions" but were pretty bland just go here kill 20 of this and then go here and kill 10.

raid was fairly fun the first time around but no reason to play through it multiple times or to try for the hardcore version of it since there was no gear difference/upgrade from it, all the gear was the same, no real choices when it came to gear in that all the stats were the same and not actually labeled well.

Every step forward they took with the Destiny 1  "Re-launch" with the DLC (taken king, rise of iron) was scrapped and turned back around to OG destiny 1. all transmog (shaders you can apply to armor) were items that are single use and you lose them when you use it, instead of being able to paint all armor the same epic shader from raid you had to grind raid 6-7 times to get enough and then if you got a legendary item or different piece that was better you had to grind out another shader.