Megamaw

Sigh, Another Topic About Discord

Never gonna happen. Can't guarentee security for everyone with Discord. Teamspeak is encrypted for everyone so no worries there. Also Time Warner Cable owns Discord so no idea what will happen with it in the future.

its already been said in previous threads why xG will never have a discord channel.

Teamspeak allows everything to be handled over servers owned by the clan so CLs can see what is happening with everything across Teamspeak including knowing if it has been hacked or infected with viruses and what not.

Discord is ran through Discords servers and therefore nobody has any access to security, safety of the servers with viruses, etc and you must put your trust in Discord that the service remains secure. A issue we will never have with xG hosted Teamspeak.

I do support small discords with friends as they are a very fun place to be to just chat and mess around in, but there will never be one for the clan.

Why do people keep posting these threads? Aside from security, discord does not provide the scalability a multi-division gaming community would need.

It's a fair assumption no one here has actually been in a large, populated discord server. I have, and it's a messy shit show. It's unreasonable to reason that there are actual benefits from switching over to discord from teamspeak aside from saving money and having a friend list. Not only that, we lose so much control when we rely on a 3rd party to make sure our server is up. I won't even go into the implications of that.

Discord is just a glorified skype, until they add more scalability features it will be nothing but that. Meaning, it is only good for small communities (typically friends). I don't know why people post these threads as if we have never tried discord? I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread uses it on a daily.

fyi we dont pay for teamspeak either, it's on the same server box the game servers are hosted in afaik @Rhododendron can confirm

either way, if you want to use discord with or without people in xG, thats your businness

but we are not interested nor do we find the need to get an official xG server, the co-leaders can hopefully answer that (once again)

@Aegean

If it's on a server Silence is paying for then we're still paying for it.

See, I'm not even saying we have to stop using teamspeak. I just think having an official Discord server would make the community WAY easier to interact with.

How many people outside of XG do you know what actually actively use teamspeak? There's really not a whole lot of communities that use the program anymore, so again, it's a big barrier to entry for people that are on the fence about XG.

False info, large multi-division gaming communities still use teamspeak for similar reasons that are in this thread.

Do I realize I'm not gonna convince anyone? Yeah. Do I want to know why that is? Absolutely.

Clearly not if you still think this:

They both allow multiple text channels/voice channels, have mod audit logs-- I'm just trying to understand why Teamspeak is considered better for XG's use.

Because that definitely doesn't sound like a shit show during peak hours.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

An official Discord is not happening. If

@Rhododendron would like to add something himself, feel free to do so.

Thread closed~

Seriously, Discord offers nothing of value besides looking good. It does not solve any issue we have but merely introduces new ones.

The only argument I'm seeing is that people just wanna use Discord and nothing else, which isn't exactly the best of arguments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPY5P0TaC4k