Moosty

The Xg Shadow Government (exposed)

Funny enough, I actually used my experience here with Xeno Gamers (as general Staff, Division Manager and Co-Leader) in my resume/cover letter when I applied at EA. During the interview, there was actually a large focus on what my responsibilities/duties entailed with Xeno Gamers. Just thought I would mention it here as a neat example that xG can actually have a real-world influence/impact :coffee:

I hate to be pessimist here, but...

As inspiring as that real-world application of xG is, it really is kinda difficult for others on xG to use as part of a resumé.

I mean, it's one thing to say "I managed a relatively large gaming clan with it's own intricate governance in multiple leading positions"

and another entirely to say "I'm a member of a relatively large gaming clan and I... post my opinions on the forums?"

I mean, sure you can say something like "I've seen reflections of the way [whatever] is managed as compared to what's going on xG" in an application, but for Forest's specific case his situation in an application is much more versatile than 90% of xG members in terms of experiences and rank alike.

That's not to say, however, that there may well be other real-world comparisons, contrasts, and even applications for xG we haven't already mentioned.

But when it comes right down to it, it's not our specialty, not our focus.

Anyways, congrats on how useful xG was to you in that interview Forest! (y)

I can imagine how exciting that must've been, as far as interviews go.

I mean it is something you can put on a resume. You're managing users on a large website and servers by enforcing rules and checking applications on a selective basis. All the coding I've done for the website also is something I put on my resume (it's why I have a job now lol)

At the end of the day if you put effort into something that's above and beyond it's worth putting on a resume.

I mean it is something you can put on a resume. You're managing users on a large website and servers by enforcing rules and checking applications on a selective basis. All the coding I've done for the website also is something I put on my resume (it's why I have a job now lol)

At the end of the day if you put effort into something that's above and beyond it's worth putting on a resume.

I think you completely missed my point.

No worries, though, it's totally my fault (y).

So, I'll try to be a little more clear and direct this time.

The point I meant to make is that xG isn't a holy grail which will serve as the main attraction of your resumé if you're part of the 90% of xG's population (I know, it should be obvious but I had shit in my head yesterday).

That 90% being those who are not staff, haven't particularly contributed to the community other than posting on the forums, which everyone who read that statement of Forest's does anyway.

To be as frank as possible, my purpose for writing was to inform the reader that as great a community as xG is, it won't solve all your real-life problems (I know, it should be obvious but I had shit in my head yesterday).

I imposed clarification on Forest's post in which he stated how his experiences on xG had helped him with a real-life application.

However, what's critical to understand is that Forest has the experiences and prestige of the top 10% of xG's population, and those experiences of managing a community fit quite nicely on an application, while most of us have little to gain out of xG in terms of applying for a job.

In short, which looks better on a resumé?

"I'm part of a gaming community, I post on the forums"

"I helped manage, run, code, and design a large gaming community"

Hopefully that makes a little more sense. :emoji_ok_hand:

I think you completely missed my point.

No worries, though, it's totally my fault (y).

So, I'll try to be a little more clear and direct this time.

The point I meant to make is that xG isn't a holy grail which will serve as the main attraction of your resumé if you're part of the 90% of xG's population (I know, it should be obvious but I had shit in my head yesterday).

That 90% being those who are not staff, haven't particularly contributed to the community other than posting on the forums, which everyone who read that statement of Forest's does anyway.

To be as frank as possible, my purpose for writing was to inform the reader that as great a community as xG is, it won't solve all your real-life problems (I know, it should be obvious but I had shit in my head yesterday).

I imposed clarification on Forest's post in which he stated how his experiences on xG had helped him with a real-life application.

However, what's critical to understand is that Forest has the experiences and prestige of the top 10% of xG's population, and those experiences of managing a community fit quite nicely on an application, while most of us have little to gain out of xG in terms of applying for a job.

In short, which looks better on a resumé?

"I'm part of a gaming community, I post on the forums"

"I helped manage, run, code, and design a large gaming community"

Hopefully that makes a little more sense. :emoji_ok_hand:

Yeah definitely, but that apparent 10% is something anyone can get to if they put the effort forward :) So that's why I say if you do that and go above and beyond the normal member I think it's worth putting on there.

Yeah definitely, but that apparent 10% is something anyone can get to if they put the effort forward :) So that's why I say if you do that and go above and beyond the normal member I think it's worth putting on there.

Ah, very good.

I must've misunderstood you earlier, sorry xD