ArminArmout

I Got Scammed Out Of My Hat

well. there was this extremely elaborate trade scam which i was suspicious about from the start. This person Steam Community :: COOLIO offered 350 keys on my hat, told me to trade it to one of my trusted friends (Jamio Jadeux) Steam Community :: Jamio Jadeux ( Don't blame them for it) to check if it was duped or something? I really wanted the keys, holy fuck. Then he told him to trade it back. A bot made the same account as my name Steam Community :: asdadadada and Jamio accidentally gave the haat with him. Now I just got scammed out of my favorite hat and I'm extremely worried.

Another person from jamios name tried to trade me and asked to give me all of my stranges, too, but I cant find them. This is fucking terrible.

Someone please help, oh my goddddddddd.

It was my neptunes nightmare+death at disco

Report the guy and his alt. This is becoming a common scam now. It almost happened to me once, but since the guy told me he was "Buying keys off the market right now to trade", I knew it sounded fishy so I looked him up on SteamRep and he had like 7 threads of him doing the same thing. Here's the guy who scammed you so apparently people have reported him on SteamRep doing the exact same thing. If you have evidence, best thing to do is report him on Steam so he'll get trade banned. Not sure if you can get your hat back though, but good luck

Not sure if you can get your hat back though, but good luck

ai.gyazo.com_e86ff3a5d75b36b3633e06bf6f8da93c.png.4aa1a23ad1a654d16aea0e2ead6bc34a.png

Yup. They issue enough warnings and precautionary measures involving trading that they don't have any part of it. In fact, they even have this exact scenario covered in the Trade Scam FAQ:

ai.gyazo.com_834eb4de47539506ae354417e62181d5.thumb.png.cfca6b9b80de6459050484064505a70b.png

He's already banned from Steamrep. No point in reporting him again. This was 100% your fault and sadly you won't get your hat back.

This was all that was in his backpack, and you still tried to trade with him?

ai.gyazo.com_53bbcbee1333f5a3ba3dc75081246284.png.30dbd2c607ab0e08ace1a92c6114b1a4.png

UPDATE:

After speaking with the current owner of the hat, I found out he purchased it from a friend of his, who was probably the guy who scammed the hat in the first place.

TF2 Outpost / Trade

If you check the comments, he explains everything. Still REALLY shitty that he's trying to sell it off. He hasn't responded to it being scammed, but I have warned him that if he doesn't that the steps necessary to get Armin his hat back, his account will be reported to SteamRep.

Here's to hoping this dude's a cool guy and tries to work it out with the other dude.

Also, here's the SteamRep page of the guy who ACTUALLY scammed Armin:

SteamRep » domccas [Caution] | 76561198083570878 | STEAM_0:0:61652575

UPDATE:

After speaking with the current owner of the hat, I found out he purchased it from a friend of his, who was probably the guy who scammed the hat in the first place.

TF2 Outpost / Trade

If you check the comments, he explains everything. Still REALLY fudgety that he's trying to sell it off. He hasn't responded to it being scammed, but I have warned him that if he doesn't that the steps necessary to get Armin his hat back, his account will be reported to SteamRep.

Here's to hoping this dude's a cool guy and tries to work it out with the other dude.

Also, here's the SteamRep page of the guy who ACTUALLY scammed Armin:

SteamRep » domccas [Caution] | 76561198083570878 | STEAM_0:0:61652575

Wait wait wait wait. We should down vote the guy who purchased it? tbh In my opinion you'll just have to move on admin, its a VERY common scam that I'm surprised you didn't know about, and always check the bp. 350 keys doesn't equal 5 keys. The guy who purchased that hat from the scammer, unless he's getting what he paid back should keep the hat, its sad but some people scam. Can't help it

The guy who purchased that hat from the scammer, unless he's getting what he paid back should keep the hat, its sad but some people scam. Can't help it

Agreed, with the exception that the user who bought it wasn't aware prior to purchasing it that it was a "hot" item.

It isn't fair to the user who purchased the item to be interrogated or given the options of either being reported or going back on a deal, especially when the latter may no longer be in their hands. Besides, it's just as likely that the user who bought the item was not aware that the item was "hot" which doesn't justify any threats made against him/her. The scammer could just as easily deny it and refuse to trade back, in which case what could the user who bought the scammed item possibly do? Keep in mind that the user who bought the scammed item (unless proven otherwise with evidence) was not involved in the actual act, and therefore cannot/should not be reported for it. While SteamRep may take scamming seriously, I doubt that they will take action against anyone who bought the item fairly.

As far as what's fair to both users (armin and the user who bought the scammed item in question), the only outcome would be trading something of equal value [to the user's item (the Rocket Launcher)] for the scammed item. Don't expect to just get the scammed item back free of charge, especially when the whole ordeal could have been avoided. That being said, I'm not trying to be a bad guy about all this so much as I am just trying to look at it rationally, so I apologize in advance if I come off as that kind of guy.

As far as what's fair to both users (armin and the user who bought the scammed item in question), the only outcome would be trading something of equal value [to the user's item (the Rocket Launcher)] for the scammed item. Don't expect to just get the scammed item back free of charge, especially when the whole ordeal could have been avoided. That being said, I'm not trying to be a bad guy about all this so much as I am just trying to look at it rationally, so I apologize in advance if I come off as that kind of guy.

Well, funny you mention that, because here is what we did...

ChickenPanda and myself got into contact with the current owner of the hat. We gathered a bunch of our own items which valued ~60 keys, and offered these items to the owner in good faith so the hat may be returned to us. Seems like a very civil solution, right? Well, apparently civil solutions aren't enough.

They declined our offer and even went so far as to threaten our clan. We were told that if any reports come of this, that "war" would be waged against our clan. I'm not fucking joking. Chickenpanda has the screenshots of the entire conversation.

I'm sorry I didn't have better shit to offer, Armin. If you and Jamio both had email confirmation, I'm confident Steam can get you a duped version of your hat, but that's the best it's gonna get. I heard from someone, somewhere that you can get scammed hats back only if you have email confirmation, and they'll only do it once.

Could be complete horse shit, though.

well. there was this extremely elaborate trade scam which i was suspicious about from the start. This person Steam Community :: COOLIO offered 350 keys on my hat, told me to trade it to one of my trusted friends (Jamio Jadeux) Steam Community :: Jamio Jadeux ( Don't blame them for it) to check if it was duped or something? I really wanted the keys, holy frick. Then he told him to trade it back. A bot made the same account as my name Steam Community :: asdadadada and Jamio accidentally gave the haat with him. Now I just got scammed out of my favorite hat and I'm extremely worried.

Another person from jamios name tried to trade me and asked to give me all of my stranges, too, but I cant find them. This is fricking terrible.

Someone please help, oh my goddddddddd.

It was my neptunes nightmare+death at disco

There's a reason trade windows have a thing at the top that tell you if the person you are trading has a similar name to someone else =/

but hey, with escrow, this wont happen amiright?!