ChickenPanda

Please Give Mods Perm Permissions.

Let's be real, you gave them mod because you trust them. Not being able to perm an obvious hacker/mass fker, etc etc is very frustrating.

I don't see the other argument to this. If there is one, please inform me. However, the main argument I can see is "what if they perm the whole server"

Yo. If you didn't trust them, then they wouldn't have gotten mod. Period. If they perm a whole server, that's (in my opinion) the faults of those who promoted them. Pls give us perm permissions.

#WillSuckWiener4Perm

@kbraszzz @Ohstopyou @metalslug53 @Rejects @Moosty

I mean it is a trust thing. You guys can still ban for an obscene amount, which you should be doing when someone deserves a perm. Just set a ban and bother a dm/dl to change it to perm in sourcebans. Not being able to perm doesn't make your job any different. It makes our job a bit harder but we do that because you're right, if a mod fucked up and permed a whole server or the wrong it would be on us, that's exactly why mods can't perm. -1 the current system should stay.

Think I'm gonna have to side with Moosty on this one.

When we break it down, Mods are our entry-level position. They are the "admins-in-training". When we bring someone onto the administration team, they are given Mod powers so they can get their feet wet and experience what it's like to regulate a server. Becoming a Mod requires a bit of personalizing with the regulars and staff, as well as showing a level of maturity and clear-headed reasoning. That being said, these traits are EASY to fake. I'm not saying our judgment in our staff is negligible, but it IS possible for someone to seem like a good dude who wants to contribute, then turn and do a 180 and ban an entire server for no reason whatsoever.

What we are trying to promote is a sense of communication between the newer staff and the higher ups. Communicate with the Admins, DMs, and DLs to get something rectified so they will, hopefully, educate you about the process when it comes to dealing with said offenders. Sure, it's a bit of an inconvenience for the mod in question and the higher up who has to change the ban, but on the same note, mods are typically new to their position, and should a perm being requested isn't justified, a higher up can explain it to the mod.

The system wasn't set up to inconvenience people. It was established to promote communication and instill learning opportunities.

Think I'm gonna have to side with Moosty on this one.

When we break it down, Mods are our entry-level position. They are the "admins-in-training". When we bring someone onto the administration team, they are given Mod powers so they can get their feet wet and experience what it's like to regulate a server. Becoming a Mod requires a bit of personalizing with the regulars and staff, as well as showing a level of maturity and clear-headed reasoning. That being said, these traits are EASY to fake. I'm not saying our judgment in our staff is negligible, but it IS possible for someone to seem like a good dude who wants to contribute, then turn and do a 180 and ban an entire server for no reason whatsoever.

What we are trying to promote is a sense of communication between the newer staff and the higher ups. Communicate with the Admins, DMs, and DLs to get something rectified so they will, hopefully, educate you about the process when it comes to dealing with said offenders. Sure, it's a bit of an inconvenience for the mod in question and the higher up who has to change the ban, but on the same note, mods are typically new to their position, and should a perm being requested isn't justified, a higher up can explain it to the mod.

The system wasn't set up to inconvenience people. It was established to promote communication and instill learning opportunities.

Makes sense, sure. I guess this is just purely differentiating opinions, but it's not exactly a decision I agree with. But hey, not my choice.

Follow-up question, does anyone (admins and below) have access to sm_addban? If we cannot have Ban Disconnected fixed, this is an easy alternative to ban by steam ID. It simply adds a ban, not even an IP, it's literally a server ban. I do not believe mods/admins have it at all.

Yeah, I can see your frustration. I would love to give the ability to create perms to some of our more experienced mods (the ones that have been around for like a year or more and are active) because you guys obviously know what you are doing. However, Moosty and Scoot are also right, it's our entry level position. This is where the next part comes in.

Chicken and I were talking, and he came up with a really good idea that I think will compromise with both sides. We can create a new rank! It will be called "Probationary Mod". We can keep people who are new and inexperienced here, and then have the regular mod position as a step up (and we can give them perma powers). Also, we could maybe give the mod position some new commands (possibly in the future?) to spice it up.

What do you guys think? Also, Rhodo, is this acceptable? @metalslug53 @Moosty @Rejects @kbraszzz @Rhododendron

Would you use something like this, @Snackbar ?

So basically, our mod structure would look like:

xG: PM (Probationary Mod)

xG: M (Moderator)

xG: A (Admin)

xG: DM (Division Manager)

xG: DL (Division Leader)

I....actually like this. A lot.

It gives our seasoned mods more to work with and gives the newbies incentive to get out of the probationary period. I vote that if we DO go ahead and set this up, we should set the probationary period to be no less than 30 days (Roughly 2 Promo Demos).

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

You guys are thinking about this too hard and are putting too much thought into the what ifs and what could happen instead of the logical solutions, i see literally no reason for a mod to not being able to perm if they can just type 999999999999999999999 and tell others to perm. if they fuck up, they fuck up but it's a 2 second fix. this goes the same for admins. Also there's no reason to add another rank, especially since we already have

regular user

xG member

xG Paid Mod

xG Mod

xG Paid Admin

xG Admin

xG Division Manager

xG Division Leader

xG Community Leader

Last time I checked, we're done with the paid staff. We had a trial run and it was an absolute failure. Nom said that it was up to the DLs of the divisions to decide whether or not we wanted to allow for paid staff. Everyone else said no, sooo.

Also, tbh, I don't know if we really need this. You guys are right in saying they could just do "99999999999". Either that or you can just ban someone, send a steam message to a higher up, and ask them to change it to a perm. We don't bite :)

I don't see the problem here. If a Moderator is seen as "experienced", then why haven't they been promoted to Administrator already? That being said, the gap between Moderator and Administrator is already incredibly slim. From what I can remember, the only difference is the ability to permanently ban and the fact that Moderators cannot target Administrators (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just speaking from CS:S experience).

Point is, if you give Moderators the ability to perm ban then.. Well, they're pretty much Administrators. This is all assuming Administrators don't have other "perks" to their rank. Might as well just merge the two if it's that big of a deal, because besides the whole "seniority" factor, what else sets them apart?

Way I see it, y'all are making more work for yourself by making another rank when you aren't even considering the simple solution that those "seasoned" Moderators should just be promoted to Administrator if they're so up there :coffee:

I don't see the problem here. If a Moderator is seen as "experienced", then why haven't they been promoted to Administrator already? That being said, the gap between Moderator and Administrator is already incredibly slim. From what I can remember, the only difference is the ability to permanently ban and the fact that Moderators cannot target Administrators (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just speaking from CS:S experience).

Point is, if you give Moderators the ability to perm ban then.. Well, they're pretty much Administrators. This is all assuming Administrators don't have other "perks" to their rank. Might as well just merge the two if it's that big of a deal, because besides the whole "seniority" factor, what else sets them apart?

Way I see it, y'all are making more work for yourself by making another rank when you aren't even considering the simple solution that those "seasoned" Moderators should just be promoted to Administrator if they're so up there :coffee:

You put it pretty well. I do admit, the thought of adding yet *another* rank just to give mods perm powers does seem quite silly.

You put it pretty well. I do admit, the thought of adding yet *another* rank just to give mods perm powers does seem quite silly.

Yeah, I'll admit. It's just more work, so we'll just keep it the way it is. If you're a mod, send a steam message to a higher up and we can change a ban if you need it.

You have our permission to spam the fudge out of the 9 key to implement a reeeealllly long ban until we can make it permanent btw.

What's the difference between just /ban "gabe newell" "99999999"(69,444.4438 days) and a perm ban anyways?

It's not like they're going to wait until the 9999999 mark to get unbanned instead of making an appeal if they want to play again.

I feel like I'm probably missing something big here.

Edited by ArminArmout (see edit history)