SnowyMinion

What Do You Think Femininity Or Feminism Means?

If you're actually convinced that this is the society we live in, I'm not sure what to say to you. Women can rise in power just as easily as men. Sex has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Look at any large position in society find a few examples of strong economic or political positions that are dominated or have equal numbers of women and men.

So, before this becomes a shit-storm, I'm just going to throw some deterrent down and remind people that these are all just opinions. I think I speak for most people when I say we don't want to hear some aggressive keyboard action coupled with heavy intensive breathing (keyboard warriors) from either side.

Just.. Keep it civil guys. This doesn't have to turn into a flame war over who is right/wrong. Would strongly suggest a Higher-Up monitor this thread every now and then to prevent any mishaps, or to outright close it (assuming @SnowyMinion is alright with it) since it was relevant to an essay that was being written which to my understanding is no longer happening thus making this an unnecessary thread about ethical opinion in a Gaming forum (which isn't inherently bad, but topics such as this tend to be blown out of proportion every now and then). Assuming people are capable of having a proper discussion without things escalating out of control, there may not be any harm in this. That being said, keep in mind that it's difficult to determine the tone of what someone is saying, but don't assume or take it in a hostile manner right off the bat.

Thought I'd post this just in case :)

Edited by Forest (see edit history)

Look at any large position in society find a few examples of strong economic or political positions that are dominated or have equal numbers of women and men.

That's not an issue of sexism at all. Men typically rise to power because they got those jobs for a reason. If we're talking politics, it's mainly due to the fact that many women simply do not want to be politicians. Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, Nancy Pelosi, there's a ton more of them. In some countries, sexism may be an issue. However, in America, there is no sexism happening in any sense on who gets power. If a woman loses a campaign, it's due to the fact her campaign was very unfavored by voters, or some other reason.

In fact, women physically have larger brains. It's not that men look down upon them as being stupid or some other reason, it's just coincidence. If I were voting for Marco Rubio, and he happened to be a woman, I wouldn't be like "ew gross, a woman candidate? how dare he."

I mean it's less about men wanting too and women not than it is women having to make the choice between pursuing a time and responsibility intensive career and having children and raising a family. Which there's two sides of. Obviously the president or a senator or judge having to take time off for maternity leave leads to nothing but a bad situation for their constituency. But at the same time it's blatantly obvious that in any job, even in one that you not being there doesn't really put people or the state at risk, that employers tend to not treat women coming back from maternity leave as well as they did before they left. It puts women in the shitty position of having to make more sacrifices than a man would if they want to pursue those high level careers.

I mean it's less about men wanting too and women not than it is women having to make the choice between pursuing a time and responsibility intensive career and having children and raising a family. Which there's two sides of. Obviously the president or a senator or judge having to take time off for maternity leave leads to nothing but a bad situation for their constituency. But at the same time it's blatantly obvious that in any job, even in one that you not being there doesn't really put people or the state at risk, that employers tend to not treat women coming back from maternity leave as well as they did before they left. It puts women in the fudgety position of having to make more sacrifices than a man would if they want to pursue those high level careers.

The government isn't going to fix your boss treating you shitty. I agree 100% that there are a few bosses who will be treating you like garbage after a maternity leave, and that sucks. Luckily you can take it to supreme court to fix that.

Since feminism isn't just an American thing, look at us in Germany. Our chancellor, Angela Merkel, is a woman amiright @Yu_Narukami and there's many others here.

Calling it egalitarianism ignores the fact that men have caused a vast majority of the social problems for other disenfranchised groups. It is fine to work towards men's rights and I am fine calling out sexism in the feminist community where criticism is due. However changing the name to egalitarianism ignores the fact that the movement is a general struggle for men and women to end sexism that promotes the traditionally masculine male dominated culture that currently exists.

I find it funny that she's taking a college humor joke video serious

oh it's buzzfeed.. which means the questions are serious.. haha those tards

@ChickenPanda

Edited by Tomahawk (see edit history)

Feminism took a turn for the worst in recent years, people cry sexism over the slightest thing when it comes to a man talking about a woman or about women. I see the Hilary Campaign literally being fueled by feminism and wanting the first female president. Instead of wanting a first, pick the good options. Eventually a woman will become president but it is retarded that women cry sexism when people dont want Hilary as president. I'm all for equal rights but at the same time I think women are getting more rights then men as of recent years due to "Political Correctness." If you don't believe me then look at laws and how the criminal system works. Divorce is a death sentence for men because you will most likely lose everything: kids, house, car, money, and so much more. Women rarely go to jail for rape or falsely accusing rape. Women also rarely get charged with assault and battery because it is "always the mans fault." And society view women as victims most of the time. Men who are abused get called pussies yet women get world class support and shit.

Feminism is just a shitty excuse to complain nowadays and we need true equal rights, not a certain sex's equality/superiority.

Feminism is the belief that women should be equal to men. its called feminism because women were unequal in many western countries up until recently, and still are unequal in many countries in the Middle East and more. i know theres feminazis and i know that theres whiny tumblr girls, but people need to understand without feminism, women would probably not be able to vote, work, be a citizen of the United States, and etc.

ai2_cdn.turner.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_150506082950_hillary_clinton__las_vegas_5_large_169.jpg.93272c0a24ab7a62c5e2daf3143310cb.jpg

OP

Femininity (or the feminine) is basically physical and cultural traits we associate with the female sex.

As for feminism, it's always been this sort of opposite to far right conservatism, and christian fundamentalism.

Personally I understand why it as movement exists and why it's still relevant today (raised as a roman catholic pole).

Though I think it, as a political movement, is disingenuous, hypocritical and a threat to important liberties & truths.

Things like due process; innocent until proven guilty, the criminalizing of expression or speech, legal definitions of rapes, etc.

Then there's the egalitarian clap-trap of "50/50" (equality of outcome). Ironically you don't see these people complaining

when the males are falling below that standard. You also won't hear about getting more women (50/50)

in "undesirable" occupations. Simply because people are hardwired with a traditionalist mindset (chivalry or benevolent sexism).

Westerners have this mythology of the past. That the collective known as "women" have had it bad, and "men" have had it good.

The meme of the cavemen pulling their unwilling brides by the hair. No matter how untrue that is. That type of thinking

removes the individual, and collectively puts (dare I say) "privileged" men in the same basket as your average and disadvantaged.

Feminists whom aren't of the man hating persuasion. Tend to be feminists because 1.) it's trendy to masturbate ego via la "I'm a good person" 2. Whom wouldn't advocate for more privileges FOR THEMSELVES? and 3. Chauvinists and the religious view women as baby making machines, and sandwich vendors. "BECUASE FUCK YOU, THIS IS HOW GOD INTENDED IT. GOD DAM IT!!"

Annnyyywaaays, before I disappear. I don't think beauty is "subjective". Sure there's personal tastes and odd kinks.

BUT a lot of what we find beautiful. Is tied to what's familiar and (sexually) attractive for making copies of ourselves.

I don't see how anyone could argue that it is subjective. When things like diseases and oddities are naturally repulsive.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Annnyyywaaays, before I disappear. I don't think beauty is "subjective". Sure there's personal tastes and odd kinks.

BUT a lot of what we find beautiful. Is tied to what's familiar and (sexually) attractive for making copies of ourselves.

I don't see how anyone could argue that it is subjective. When things like diseases and oddities are naturally repulsive.

I believe that it's subjective solely because I feel it isn't an explicit fact of nature. Some people will find a particular person unattractive, while another may find that exact same person attractive. As you said, there are personal tastes and that is what makes it subjective.

In a sense, it would be like me referring to Strawberry flavoured ice cream as revolting while another person says it's the best flavour ever. In this case, it revolves around flavour; the sense of taste. It's an odd thing to compare this to, but just as 'taste' is subjective, so is beauty. I can guarantee that there is [at the very least] one person in the entire world who will find a certain person attractive.

This also goes hand-in-hand when defining physical beauty versus inner-beauty as it too completely relies on the "eyes of the beholder".

Edited by Guest (see edit history)