Scootaloo

Rule Change (effective Immediately): Player Names No Longer Need 3 Consecutive Typable Characters.

-The Rule Change-

Recently, Valve has made a few changes to the Advanced Options menu in TF2. One of the big changes they implemented was bringing over a feature from CS:GO. The option is under "HUD Options" and is entitled "Enable Mouse Input on the Scoreboard". Checking this setting allows you to hover your mouse over the names of other players when in the scoreboard (Holding TAB by default) and right-click them to quickly access their profile, trade window, mute, and other things as well.

ai.imgur.com_9YDaoak.thumb.png.438170df7cf0901516469d2ffa15964c.png

Because of these recent changes, I have discussed this with other CLs and some of the higher-up TF2 staff, and we have concluded that it is time to remove the rule that requires players to have a minimum of three consecutive typable characters in their in-game names. Previously, we had this rule in place for targetting reasons, meaning that it was difficult for our staff to target trouble-makers who had complicated names. They would have to resort to using the /admin menu, which is very time consuming and tedious when dealing with an immediate issue. However, now that isn't the case.

In the event of a trouble-maker who has a complex name, it's as simple as holding TAB, right-clicking the individual's name, and opening their Steam Profile. Once it opens up, you can simply copy/paste their name from their Steam page. Pasting it into your commands will work just as if you typed the name out. Because of this, we feel that the name rule is now obsolete and unnecessary. It was originally put in place to counteract having to take time-consuming measures in order to deal with rule-breakers.

ai.imgur.com_OjZJHt3.thumb.png.582ecaf30e644bc8b2c8a602263aaf7e.png

-What This Means For You-

If you are a Staff Member, all this means is that we are no longer enforcing the old name rule. You no longer have to make people change their names or add three typable characters if they are composed entirely of untypable characters.

As soon as you can, please open up your Advanced Options in TF2 and check the box next to "Enable Mouse Input on the Scoreboard" underneath "HUD Options" if you haven't already. If for whatever reason you are still finding it difficult to copy and paste the user's name, please resort to using the /admin command to slay/kick/ban/gag/mute the target.

If you are a regular to our servers, this simply means you now have the leeway to diversify your in-game name with special characters. Go crazy! (You still must be a member to wear the [xG] tags. That hasn't changed.)

By the time this post goes live, all of the Rules Guides and MOTDs should be updated to reflect this change. Thanks again, and let me know if there are any problems.

Shouldn't this be under xG News if it's a global rule change that influences all Divisions? Just wondering since it's specifically under the TF2 section of forums.

Shouldn't this be under xG News if it's a global rule change that influences all Divisions? Just wondering since it's specifically under the TF2 section of forums.

At the current time of posting, this change is for TF2 only. If the CS:GO division would also like to implement this rule, we can move it to xG News. ^-^

Finally....

I do have some concerns

Some users have those funky characters in their name while spacing them out every letter, making it pretty much impossible to target via chat, even if copying their name from their profile.

I do recall being told by another staff (I can’t remember who..) but they said that STEAMID should work too, I have tried that and it doesn’t seem to work, that or I am doing it wrong (If this does exist could someone show me the proper command, thanks)

Lenny faces and Emojis {If that is the only things that are in their name and no ASCII of any type or normal characters, they are pretty much not targetable via chat command}

Edited by TheSupremePatriot (see edit history)

Finally....

I do have some concerns

Some users have those funky characters in their name while spacing them out every letter, making it pretty much impossible to target via chat, even if copying their name from their profile.

I do recall being told by another staff (I can’t remember who..) but they said that STEAMID should work too, I have tried that and it doesn’t seem to work, that or I am doing it wrong (If this does exist could someone show me the proper command, thanks)

Lenny faces and Emojis {If that is the only things that are in their name and no ASCII of any type or normal characters, they are pretty much not targetable via chat command}

In these cases, we would have to target the user via /admin panel anyways, so if this is the case, just do so if they are being a nuisance.

STEAMID does not work to target people.

USER ID does. PM me if you do not know what the player ID is.

Tutorial on how to target people with their player ID:

Type "status" in console.

There will be a chart saying USERID.

agyazo.com_aa8f95701dc0f3ff0802d08bdf18c3e0.png.a543d447b43c619bff86c340254557f6.png

This is a player's userid.

Now in order to target someone simply put their userid instead of their names in.

agyazo.com_6048f2901c34107cee8439545adf6ccb.gif.6ac454926acca96aded3c5059cc6bef6.gif

Edited by Bello (see edit history)

STEAMID does not work to target people.

USER ID does. PM me if you do not know what the player ID is.

Tutorial on how to target people with their player ID:

Type "status" in console.

There will be a chart saying USERID.

[attach=full]23427[/attach]

This is a player's userid.

Now in order to target someone simply put their userid instead of their names in.

[attach=full]23428[/attach]

Woah, I never seen that console command before, this helps incredibly!

Thanks for the info!