Aegean

Member Application Changes!

@Forest

Silence and I had a ton of discussions about this aspect, and we did come to the conclusion after looking at other communities that our bar for membership was too high in the beginning. We did not want our community to be like "the old boys club" where if you don't know the right people or don't talk enough in servers you can't get in.

We still value input from our members, but we do not want the reasoning of someone not standing out enough to be the reason they do not get into xG, and to find another community that accepts them with open arms. I know there's pros + cons to either way, but we feel this way has more pros than cons as it's easier to get rid of bad members, than it is to bring in quality members who might be shy. As virr mentioned as well, people will still need to be standout members to get staff, and also we will provide way more giveaways + events to glorify the members who are active in our community. Once our traffic is much higher in our community, and people are applying at a much higher rate, I'm sure people will visit the forums more often to give vouches towards players as that'll be a good way for them to increase forum count to apply for mod if that is their goal. Considering all things being said, I think it'll be a net gain that we will realize within a few months, especially once summer hits. I never have any issues with discussion so no need to apologize.

I edited the membership guidelines thread again, Virr rewrote it to make it much simpler and cleaner and I forgot to edit the 2 day part in.

@Forest

Silence and I had a ton of discussions about this aspect, and we did come to the conclusion after looking at other communities that our bar for membership was too high in the beginning. We did not want our community to be like "the old boys club" where if you don't know the right people or don't talk enough in servers you can't get in.

We still value input from our members, but we do not want the reasoning of someone not standing out enough to be the reason they do not get into xG, and to find another community that accepts them with open arms. I know there's pros + cons to either way, but we feel this way has more pros than cons as it's easier to get rid of bad members, than it is to bring in quality members who might be shy. As virr mentioned as well, people will still need to be standout members to get staff, and also we will provide way more giveaways + events to glorify the members who are active in our community. Once our traffic is much higher in our community, and people are applying at a much higher rate, I'm sure people will visit the forums more often to give vouches towards players as that'll be a good way for them to increase forum count to apply for mod if that is their goal. Considering all things being said, I think it'll be a net gain that we will realize within a few months, especially once summer hits. I never have any issues with discussion so no need to apologize.

I edited the membership guidelines thread again, Virr rewrote it to make it much simpler and cleaner and I forgot to edit the 2 day part in.

Does this mean TGH and Pokemon Trade will get increased player capacities once the population grows? With more people being active, it's becoming harder and harder to get on said servers. TGH especially is having a lot of 32/32 moments lately.

Does this mean TGH and Pokemon Trade will get increased player capacities once the population grows? With more people being active, it's becoming harder and harder to get on said servers. TGH especially is having a lot of 32/32 moments lately.

If we get more members, that’s a good thing.

Valve has a feature where you can auto-join when there is an available spot. Thats the only solution for now.

That depends entirely on how much horsepower is available on the machine the server is hosted on. @Bello and @Rejects are the right people to ask.

EDIT: Max players on TF2 is 32, whoops

Edited by virr (see edit history)

That depends entirely on how much horsepower is available on the machine the server is hosted on. @Rhododendron is right person to ask.

That depends entirely on how much horsepower is available on the machine the server is hosted on. @Bello and @Rejects are the right people to ask.

I thought max on TF2 is 32 (33 if replay enabled / 34 if replay and sourcetv)

That depends entirely on how much horsepower is available on the machine the server is hosted on. @Rhododendron is right person to ask.

+1 can confirm

Will a more indepth thread be made in the xG-News section of the Forums? Just curious as it would receive better saturation than it would here in the General section (especially because it applies to Xeno Gamers as a whole)

Will a more indepth thread be made in the xG-News section of the Forums? Just curious as it would receive better saturation than it would here in the General section (especially because it applies to Xeno Gamers as a whole)

Good idea. If we do, it will most likely be after we figure everything out (membership ranks, how to advance, etc).

Seeing the holy shit like 18 people just got member thing. I honestly dont like this idea anymore. People can join the server once and get in. Wasnt getting in xG supposed to be special? When you had to get like 10 +1s in the past it felt so god damn good to get in. Now you dont even have a vouch limit. Also I dont really understand this Senior/Junior member thing. Does it happen in promo/demos? What kind of tags do they wear? Seeing what has just happened with so much people getting in I feel bad for the people who had to try their best to get member and finally get it like after a month. I know that we want more people in but why couldnt we just reduce the vouch limit again? People arent getting vouched or getting replied to in their submissions because they either havent played and people havent seen them or people are just abstaining. I have so much questions with this new change and I hope someone can answer them.

Seeing the holy shit like 18 people just got member thing. I honestly dont like this idea anymore. People can join the server once and get in. Wasnt getting in xG supposed to be special? When you had to get like 10 +1s in the past it felt so god damn good to get in. Now you dont even have a vouch limit. Also I dont really understand this Senior/Junior member thing. Does it happen in promo/demos? What kind of tags do they wear? Seeing what has just happened with so much people getting in I feel bad for the people who had to try their best to get member and finally get it like after a month. I know that we want more people in but why couldnt we just reduce the vouch limit again? People arent getting vouched or getting replied to in their submissions because they either havent played and people havent seen them or people are just abstaining. I have so much questions with this new change and I hope someone can answer them.

Well the idea of changing how submissions work was to allow more people to get member obviously. We wanted xG to stop feeling like some kind of exclusive club or something along those lines. Usually when people don't get member, they don't even try to re-apply. They just move on to some other clan, one that is much easier to get into. By reducing the time it takes to get in, and also reducing the requirements, we are then hopefully able to keep peoples attention on xG instead of wherever else it is. If you feel someone is not fit for member, you can always make a member protest, that's why the section is there. Even though I am confused about the new requirements myself, hopefully things will become more fleshed out in the coming weeks.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)