yellowrock

Cp Save/cp Tele On Surf

Should the rules regarding this plugin be changed?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rules regarding this plugin be changed?

• Yes
    • No
    • lol what

I personally feel that this plugin is too easily abused on surf maps with powerups, as it allows people to instantly teleport back to the powerup at any time, and not allow any other players to get it. On quite a few maps with powerups, such as surf_utopia and surf_tensile, in order to re-aquire the powerup after it expires, one would have to surf the whole map again, allowing other players a chance to obtain it. With the checkpoint plugin however, the person that first finished the map has a strangehold on the powerup, throwing off the intended balance of the map.

I understand using it to get back to sniper boxes if you get killed at the end of the map, but I think there should be more restrictions on using it to hog powerups. I've also seen people troll with it, by continuously teleporting to the end of the map, attempting to kill everyone there, dying, then instantly zapping back after they respawn.

Guise pls respond. This is meant to be a discussion. :V

I do see your point and I agree with it, but we cannot enforce a rule like this.

We had a rule like this a few months ago, but it was pretty much ignored by our staff, since there's no way staff can watch everyone 24/7 to monitor the way they're using sm_cptele, hence the rule was removed.

I do see your point and I agree with it, but we cannot enforce a rule like this.

We had a rule like this a few months ago, but it was pretty much ignored by our staff, since there's no way staff can watch everyone 24/7 to monitor the way they're using sm_cptele, hence the rule was removed.

That's a fair point. Honestly, as a map creator myself, I would prefer to see it removed entirely. It messes with the balance of combat maps in a pretty major way. There aren't many skill maps on the server, so aside from a tool for helping people learn (and it seems a bit excessive for that), I don't understand why a combat surf server would have something like this system.

To expand on the balance argument, surf maps are usually made with certain completion times in mind. The time it takes to get from the beginning of map to the end is important, as it dictates how often people can re-complete the map to get powerups/whatever. Being able to instantly teleport repeatedly to get powerups as soon as they expire, allowing for a single person to have a constant advantage.

If we had more maps with stages or checkpoints (places on linear maps where one can come to a complete stop and then start again and still be able to finish the map) I would understand, but as it is, I don't get it.

That's a fair point. Honestly, as a map creator myself, I would prefer to see it removed entirely. It messes with the balance of combat maps in a pretty major way. There aren't many skill maps on the server, so aside from a tool for helping people learn (and it seems a bit excessive for that), I don't understand why a combat surf server would have something like this system.

To expand on the balance argument, surf maps are usually made with certain completion times in mind. The time it takes to get from the beginning of map to the end is important, as it dictates how often people can re-complete the map to get powerups/whatever. Being able to instantly teleport repeatedly to get powerups as soon as they expire, allowing for a single person to have a constant advantage.

If we had more maps with stages or checkpoints (places on linear maps where one can come to a complete stop and then start again and still be able to finish the map) I would understand, but as it is, I don't get it.

First off, thanks for keeping it civil.

Secondly, I still do see your point but I also think that the community would freak out if a plugin that most people use was removed.

It seems like people are going to be unhappy either way, sadly.

I'm gonna tag a few surf people to give input:

@sick41057 @YeEternalTuna @Vacindak @mrnutty12 @TheSupremePatriot

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

If you will allow me to give my input. While I do like using cptele, there have been a lot of cases where new players cptele out of fights which is fine because they are new. But those are really the only people who break that rule. And as for the end of map stuff, I see no real problem with it. They completed the map and they deserve that reward for doing so. If other players think it is unfair that other people can get it and not them need to understand they haven't gotten there themselves and need to work for to get to the end. Thats how I view it.

I personally feel that this plugin is too easily abused on surf maps with powerups, as it allows people to instantly teleport back to the powerup at any time, and not allow any other players to get it. On quite a few maps with powerups, such as surf_utopia and surf_tensile, in order to re-aquire the powerup after it expires, one would have to surf the whole map again, allowing other players a chance to obtain it. With the checkpoint plugin however, the person that first finished the map has a strangehold on the powerup, throwing off the intended balance of the map.

I understand using it to get back to sniper boxes if you get killed at the end of the map, but I think there should be more restrictions on using it to hog powerups. I've also seen people troll with it, by continuously teleporting to the end of the map, attempting to kill everyone there, dying, then instantly zapping back after they respawn.

I think cptele is fine as it is. If there is a problem with dmg, make it that you cant cptele within 10 seconds of taking dmg. The powerups on utopia is not very strong, I believe? Pretty sure they barely make a difference.

Yeah like Bello had stated this rule was removed because staff never enforced it in the first place since almost every single person, including staff, did this and (most likely) no one has ever complained about it until now. I'm going to have to -1 this idea because removing this plugin (like Bello said) would cause the community to freak out and people would be really upset because like I said everyone uses it and since this is a combat surf server and not skill there isn't any problems with it other than people using it to cptele out of fights but we can somewhat enforce that rule and actually be able to deal with it.

It was enforced whenever it was actually possible...it was a very difficult rule to enforce and make sure people weren’t doing because it would involve us to be spectating a long time. I do get your thoughts and it is a fair suggestion, however it would only upset the players. Many users rely on this plugin for many reasons, aiming to progressing in the surf to simply getting back to spawn from jail to continue surfing again. Quite a few of our players that are coming to the server for the first time with no idea how to respawn could benefit from this command, therefore it should not be removed.

Overall, I am sorry but my vouch will be a -1.

Is it true that the reason xG doesn't have spawn protection is because it interfered in some way with the cp plugin? I may be wrong in this, but I would think most people would rather have the spawn protection, especially the admins, as it would make spawnkilling/camping less of an issue. Even if the CP system is never removed/changed, we should probably look at spawn protection possibilities. I haven't been around for long enough to know how long it's been since the issues happened, but maybe someone has discovered a solution somewhere.

I will say, I never really fully expected any changes to come of this thread, I just wanted to express how I felt on the subject, and start a discussion about it. I think the most worst thing that can happen in a community is an unwillingness to discuss change and a disconnect between staff and players. I love to see dedicated admins that genuinely care about the community and game in general.

Is it true that the reason xG doesn't have spawn protection is because it interfered in some way with the cp plugin? I may be wrong in this, but I would think most people would rather have the spawn protection, especially the admins, as it would make spawnkilling/camping less of an issue. Even if the CP system is never removed/changed, we should probably look at spawn protection possibilities. I haven't been around for long enough to know how long it's been since the issues happened, but maybe someone has discovered a solution somewhere.

I will say, I never really fully expected any changes to come of this thread, I just wanted to express how I felt on the subject, and start a discussion about it. I think the most worst thing that can happen in a community is an unwillingness to discuss change and a disconnect between staff and players. I love to see dedicated admins that genuinely care about the community and game in general.

We used to have spawn protection on surf, but I disabled it. Other servers still have it fyi.

Spawnkilling by itself is illegal and you'll be punished by a staff member for it. Not only would spawnprotection interfere with the CPTele plugin, but there are also maps that are only (and only) combat-surf where you just fight each other. In that case Spawnprotection would give you an unfair advantage. I don't remember any map names but @Vacindak probably knows what I'm talking about.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I just wanted to put my 2 ½ cents in here. So, teleporting has it's pros and cons.

It can be an issue during a fight, and to get to powerups quickly. However, most powerups aren't very OP (to me anyway). A good example is Utopia's. It heals and gives ammo but fairly slowly. Someone hogging the powerups can be a bit annoying, but other than that it doesn't give a very large advantage to them. As long as they finished the map legitly, it's ok-ish with me.

The teleport is also pretty useful for long maps. Though most of our long maps don't reward using a checkpoint, since the checkpoints are either off the actual surf path or have no way leading back into the surf.

So... actually that sounds kinda bad... but it helps for maps like Telstar.

Spawn protection would be fantastic. It would cure spawn camping and people sniping into spawn... but rewards people sniping out of spawn as well as getting an advantage in fights on maps like Snow Arena.

Hop down into the map with spawn protection still on and it's basically giving free godmode in fights.

All in all, I like cptele existing due to it being a much faster way of resetting myself to the start of the surf after failing miserably, but like pretty much any plugin, people find a way to abuse it and ruin it for everyone.