TheNortLogic

Should Xg Have A Discord Server?

Just as a suggestion [and this is only valid if you haven't done-so], and not to shut you down or anything, but you may want to get the 'go-ahead' from Higher-Ups before establishing something that is affiliated with Xeno Gamers (or is otherwise 'sponsored' by Xeno Gamers). I can't/won't speak for the Higher-Ups, but not only could it negatively impact activity on our Team Speak servers (something that dem Higher-Ups have been trying to remedy for quite some time) but Silence seems (correct me if I'm wrong) pretty adamant that a Xeno Gamers Discord Server will/should not be made and this directly goes against his statement which really ought to be considered.

Same suggestion goes out to anyone else who may consider creating an external connection to Xeno Gamers without permission; keep in mind that we shouldn't just slap "Xeno Gamers" on something and proclaim it as official without at least receiving an opinion or go-ahead from the Higher-Ups. I'm not too familiar with any legalities or anything, but should something happen revolving around whatever that 'external connection' may be, it could negatively influence the clan or something along those lines. Just my 2 cents and again, just a suggestion :coffee:

I mean the current one is just for the surf server, we don’t plan on it getting much traffic anyway.

@Bello does know about the server.

I think Silence just meant like full out xG Discord Channel set up like TS.

If anything I can only see a couple of regulars using it. Thats pretty much it, and if that should be the case, we can make it for regulars if an issue were to arise.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

We actually do have a Discord server now.

At the moment it is only aimed towards the xG TF2 Surf Server.

@YeEternalTuna and I are still working on setting it up.

I mean, we could edit the TF2 TS channels as they stand right now and change the now useless prophunt channel over to a surf channel, right @Bello ?

I mean we could edit the TF2 TS channels as they stand right now and change the now useless prophunt channel over to a surf channel, right @Bello ?

I like never see anyone in the TF2 section of the TS

they used to be in the tf2 channels on teamspeak and then they made friends with people on there from other divisions and they hang out in community channels with them where anyone is more than welcome.

@Bello @BlankuChan @Egossi and @Janal usually hangs out with us in the community section. You're all more than welcome to come say hi!:D

This is true, I usually end up hanging out in afk or in global, TF2 channels are really never used.

a TF2 surf discord makes no sense when there is a whole set of channels just for TF2 along with people from TF2's community channels. There have been many times when I see a channel with about 15 TF2 members playing whatever. Making a seperate discord separate from the official xG one makes this less of a community and separates the divisions. Teamspeak is just as easy to use. The only reason that people use discord over TS is because you dont have to pay for a server, but ours is already paid for by Silence and has tons of benefits that making a discord wouldn't bring. All that is gonna do is just segregate the community which isn't going to help grow this community. If you complain that people aren't on how about you ask them? TS is just as easy to download and set up as discord. To me IMHO it makes no sense to make a discord.

Discord is nothing more than the poor man's teamspeak. It lacks the scalability teamspeak offers (plus features) for a gaming clan and is not suited for anything more than a replacement for skype.

I fully to agree with this.

Although there's an unofficial discord server for TF2 surf, it is absolutely unnecessary since we literally have a 512 slots ts3 server. I have no clue why people prefer discord, probably due to the reasons @Egossi has already stated.

:Old Man:

I mean, we could edit the TF2 TS channels as they stand right now and change the now useless prophunt channel over to a surf channel, right @Bello ?

I don't think that would help at all. People who use the discord server don't wanna use ts (for whatever reason). But changing the name to surf wouldn't hurt. @Rhododendron

I've also told you guys to not call it the official xG discord and not to post the invite stuff on our servers, since you haven't talked to any CLs about it.

Pretty much what forest said, we have absolutely 0 control over people making discords or hanging out with friends in other servers aside from our teamspeak, but we do prefer not to seperate the groups and prefer everyone to use our teamspeak if they have access. We have spent a ton of time and resources onto our teamspeak and prefer it to be utilized by as many people as we can :)

This wasn't my idea to make the discord channel, I just helped with setting it up, but I'm setting it to private when I get a chance, only approved xG members get access.

No longer open to public, only xG members have joined it so far. (4)

Yeah, I didn't meant to type Official in the thing either when setting up, I meant unofficial. I'll fix that when I get a chance.

This wasn't my idea to make the discord channel, I just helped with setting it up, but I'm setting it to private when I get a chance, only approved xG members get access.

No longer open to public, only xG members have joined it so far. (4)

Yeah, I didn't meant to type Official in the thing either when setting up, I meant unofficial. I'll fix that when I get a chance.

Does it really matter if it was your idea or not? This post is just trying to shift blame if you guys get in trouble (which you probably won't, at most you will be asked to shut it down). I really don't believe or can take this post seriously. And as for "I didnt mean to type Official" do you really think people will believe that you "accidentally" put that in there? Like cmon. There was plenty of dissent before you guys made it and yet it was made anyways. I have yet to see a benefit in having a discord along with a teamspeak. Creating a Discord basically just disregards all the work @Rhododendron has put into the server.

There are tons of community channels and a set of channels for TF2 specifically. And also there are tons of community channels that are owned by TF2 staff. I heard a complaint that not a lot of people are on TS (which is false) but if you don't see people you know how about you invite them on. Why invite newer members or member who haven't installed TS yet onto a discord that a minority of the community will ever go on. It just separates them like I said before. I really have no idea why this idea really went through.

I will also be rolling out getting credits for time on the server soon, and a lot of code has been made specifically for Teamspeak. Honestly discord just doesn't offer us anything that we need, and will cause more issues than it's worth.

And please do not use the Xeno Gamers name without permission from the higher ups.

Does it really matter if it was your idea or not? This post is just trying to shift blame if you guys get in trouble (which you probably won't, at most you will be asked to shut it down). I really don't believe or can take this post seriously. And as for "I didnt mean to type Official" do you really think people will believe that you "accidentally" put that in there? Like cmon. There was plenty of dissent before you guys made it and yet it was made anyways. I have yet to see a benefit in having a discord along with a teamspeak. Creating a Discord basically just disregards all the work @Rhododendron has put into the server.

There are tons of community channels and a set of channels for TF2 specifically. And also there are tons of community channels that are owned by TF2 staff. I heard a complaint that not a lot of people are on TS (which is false) but if you don't see people you know how about you invite them on. Why invite newer members or member who haven't installed TS yet onto a discord that a minority of the community will ever go on. It just separates them like I said before. I really have no idea why this idea really went through.

I have already shut it down, I mean its still up... Ive cleared chat, Deleted rooms and voice channels, kicked everyone. Just waiting for tuna to delete the channel.

I will also be rolling out getting credits for time on the server soon, and a lot of code has been made specifically for Teamspeak. Honestly discord just doesn't offer us anything that we need, and will cause more issues than it's worth.

And please do not use the Xeno Gamers name without permission from the higher ups.

It won't happen again.