CappyCappy

The Great Xg Tf2 Revival

To be honest we shouldn't be talking about populated servers here, they are populated because of how crappy you think they are and how cancerous you find them to be at times

, don't try to change that, otherwise you'll end up with a pretty dead server, vsh is the concrete exemple of that, the server was populated 24/7, some good choices were made to improve the server and it turns out they were bad for the population, and killed the server, also, we all have to admit that some servers were alive because of some specific regulars, members or staff, vsh was populated thanks to Bone and Hina, jb1 was populated too, I even remember there was a time when I couldn't join the server because it was full, and jb1 was alive thanks to some people, and died because of some others, (not gonna mention names, to avoid creating tension, but we all know what happened there), also one other thing;

Staff should learn to be friendly, help others, share knowledge and communicate more, especially with other staff member.

Edited by Floppy (see edit history)

I have an idea that could potentially help, and would make the majority of players happy, though it would take more work than slapping a .smx file and a map rotation onto a server.

We could always code an xG specific gamemode. This way we could have 100% control of what happens in the server.

Or if that seems like too much work, we could make a special xG map. If it were to act like our trade servers, just give the map a ton of things to keep players occupied other than spawn camping and trading.

I mean, we've recycled a TON of different maps and gamemodes but people will find a way to find exploits, or annoying glitches in 'em, or just generally get bored and stop playing. If we had something that's 100% custom, it could even replace multiple servers at once.

Think about it: a map built with a mini Deathrun game built in (can even be 100% automated if done correctly), a large area for people to dick around in like the trade servers, special areas for events to take place, hell you could even use it as an excuse to test new scripts and plugins. This way if we give players enough choices with a single map, then it should practically populate itself.

Now I may not have too much map making/coding experience, but this is a good excuse for me to learn. Plus, it could always be a team project. It would get done faster and incorporate more ideas into the map.

I just think it'd be a neat experience to have the community come together to make something that could be pretty good.

TL;DR: Let's make an xG custom, multi-purpose map, ya dinguses!

As far as actual non meme suggestions, I think we should revert some of the anti rebel changes on jailbreak. Unban the skullcutter for starts. People have a weird emotional connection to it and it's not like it's actually OP despite it being a direct upgrade. I would also suggest thinking about removing or changing lct. I know that rebelling can kill the server at times but in the past a large part of the active regulars consisted of people who almost exclusively rebelled and jb is undoubtedly less popular now. I don't know if this would actually help or harm and jb isn't totally dead but I feel like we should try it.

Edited by Hushpuppy (see edit history)

I have an idea that could potentially help, and would make the majority of players happy, though it would take more work than slapping a .smx file and a map rotation onto a server.

We could always code an xG specific gamemode. This way we could have 100% control of what happens in the server.

Or if that seems like too much work, we could make a special xG map. If it were to act like our trade servers, just give the map a ton of things to keep players occupied other than spawn camping and trading.

I mean, we've recycled a TON of different maps and gamemodes but people will find a way to find exploits, or annoying glitches in 'em, or just generally get bored and stop playing. If we had something that's 100% custom, it could even replace multiple servers at once.

Think about it: a map built with a mini Deathrun game built in (can even be 100% automated if done correctly), a large area for people to dick around in like the trade servers, special areas for events to take place, hell you could even use it as an excuse to test new scripts and plugins. This way if we give players enough choices with a single map, then it should practically populate itself.

Now I may not have too much map making/coding experience, but this is a good excuse for me to learn. Plus, it could always be a team project. It would get done faster and incorporate more ideas into the map.

I just think it'd be a neat experience to have the community come together to make something that could be pretty good.

I kinda said this already, but this is a great idea. Yet, this will be a huge map and will require a lot of programming and time. Think about the minecraft servers with all the minigames and such. It probably will look something like that. We ill need a hub of some sort, and then portals to designated areas, and because of this, we will need area chat . And also, because of this, we will need to install multiple plugs on 1 server

I don't think this would be realistically possible. xG doesn't have a lot of map makers, and I don't think the ones we do have would want to do something as difficult as this. This would take a lot more coding, mapping, and scripting than you think. You'd also have to find a way for each of those "game modes" to have their own restrictions and not overlap with another game modes restrictions. There's nothing stopping you from attempting something like this on your own time, though, I'd do more research to see if other servers have done this type of idea. Unfortunately I don't think a completely new and unique server would be the best idea anyway, keeping core community game-modes will generally keep population as they're already established and often-played.

Edited by Vexx (see edit history)

I don't think this would be realistically possible. xG doesn't have a lot of map makers, and I don't think the ones we do have would want to do something as difficult as this. This would take a lot more coding, mapping, and scripting than you think. You'd also have to find a way for each of those "game modes" to have their own restrictions and not overlap with another game modes restrictions. There's nothing stopping you from attempting something like this on your own time, though, I'd do more research to see if other servers have done this type of idea. Unfortunately I don't think a completely new and unique server would be the best idea anyway, keeping core community game-modes will generally keep population as they're already established and often-played.

The thing is though, I've seen this idea in action. I used to run a server using a map like the one I described (and even had Pyro dodgeball in it)

Most Jailbreak maps basically run on this idea, with several areas dedicated to a separate goal, such as a Mini Deathrun, the square game (whatever it's called), etc.

It also wouldn't really prompt it's own server either. It's essentially a trade map with multiple areas. There's a lot like this already, but most are Minecraft themed and that gets old real quick.

We ill need a hub of some sort, and then portals to designated areas, and because of this, we will need area chat . And also, because of this, we will need to install multiple plugs on 1 server

I mean, we really wouldn't need all that. Just a central "overworld" type area with the portals being organized and labeled so people can easily find their way around (as well as a few hidden areas)

Area chat would be cool, but not really practical since it would severely limit who can see which chat and would make Moderating a living hell (more than it already is). Multiple areas with global chat works totally fine

If no one would be able to help, that's cool. I can work on it on my own, it would just take a while since I'm usually busy with work

a large part of the active regulars consisted of people who almost exclusively rebelled and jb is undoubtedly less popular now.

idk how long i've said this lol

Also yeah, if you really wanted to revive jb, then maybe all those changes that were made should just be reverted, since like hush said almost all of the rebellion left because the server was made way too ct sided. Before anyone starts throwing hate at me, im just saying MY OWN OPINION on the matter, don't get butthurt, k? kthx.

I feel like banning the skullcutter, vaccinator, even getting to the point about talking about demoknight took this whole vendetta it seems most of you had against the rebellion way too far, and its pretty bad how the only way we got this to stop was just leave.. People complained about how "op" the skullcutter and vac combo was, well really it wasn't, unless no one ever noticed, most of the rebellion never went for ammo, learn how to use your eyes like a guard should be able to and the rebellion wouldn't have been much of a problem, lol. I don't think people realized that rebelling is PART OF JAILBREAK, and yet people complained that it killed the server, ever notice how when halfway competent guards got in the game the rebellion never really harmed anything? And yet, no one could drop it. If rebelling was that much of a problem, instead of threatening to ban us for "purposely killing the server", then actually do it and have fun defending yourself when you don't have any proof against us doing so. So really, im just gonna say learn how to play the game and kill a bunch of people with melees or stop complaining.