Aegean

Member Application Changes!

With so many things being unclear still, especially with the whole "Senior/Junior" member thing, it seems like the best thing for people to consider if the concept of massed intake like this is an eyesore to them, is to try and be more active on member applications. Even docking people for lack luster activity (after all, we do want members to be at least notably active) wouldn't be an awful idea if you don't feel someone deserves membership. I'd assume poor activity was the number one cause for the many applications that never received any comments at all. These changes seem more focused on creating quantity in terms of membership, so it would be ideal for current members to be more vigilant to upkeep quality. Just my 2 cents

I just want to clarify a few things that people seem to misunderstand from my previous posts.

• Member tags will not change from [xG] or xG | or however you put xG in your name, the junior - senior example is something that will be automated via forums, and it will just give people a sense of accomplishment upon several hurdles that we set (i.e. amount of posts + time registered on forums). We will discuss this in detail once it's fleshed out.
  • Getting membership was much harder and more of an accomplishment in the past, that is of course true. We made it like this because as I reiterate, the higherups do not like the idea of someone joining our servers, wanting to be a member, not being vocal enough or standing out by being funny or really good, and then not getting accepted into the community. We obviously can not force people to vouch for others, nor can we assume they will remember every member who goes on the servers. Letting members in and following alongside our competitors in this aspect is a net gain because we gain a population growth while the newer players feel like they have a place they can call home in xG.
  • Member protests exist! We can always get rid of members who do not deserve to be a member, this should not be an issue.
  • IF all hell breaks loose, and we truly did make a mistake, we can always change the rules around submissions. Nothing is set in stone.

Seeing the holy shit like 18 people just got member thing.

All currently open member applications got grandfathered into the new system, that's why a lot of people got accepted at once. After today it will probably be a bit more consistent.

People can join the server once and get in.

We did discuss a minimum hours of game time before you were allowed to apply and it's very possible we might roll with something like that if people apply for member after 10 minutes or so. Even then, people with low play time will have a harder time getting accepted than someone very well known, as we do look at player stats in gameME before accepting.

Wasnt getting in xG supposed to be special? When you had to get like 10 +1s in the past it felt so god damn good to get in.

Which is why we're introducing membership tiers, it's supposed to create a sort of progression and give you a sense of "exclusivity" in the clan.

Also I dont really understand this Senior/Junior member thing. Does it happen in promo/demos? What kind of tags do they wear?

Member promotions will most likely be brought up in p/d, yes. Tags was being discussed but will most likely not happen

I know that we want more people in but why couldnt we just reduce the vouch limit again?

Because it's a band-aid fix on the problems we were having. While having the vouch system does make sure the quality of the people we accept is high, it hinders our growth by quite a bit. Once this system is fully developed, members who constantly engage and are positive factors in the community will become more renowned (for a lack of a better word) as time goes on, while people who settle for just a member tag can do so if they wish.

All the higher ups are holding a meeting soon which will probably help with finishing up what we have left with the current system. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Aegean is quicker than me

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

• If there are issues with your application, you may get an extra 5 days maximum to fix and answer any problems, or it will be automatically declined. 4/7/2017

Added this change to let any user who made a mistake with their application (or if the higher ups need to clarify something) have an extra 5 days to answer or they will be declined.

I've been following this for awhile now, and I think I'll share my opinions. :nailbiting:

I think switching over to this new system is a good idea.

Speaking from my own experience, if you can't distinguish yourself as easily as others (especially if you don't own a mic, or if it is broken like mine was until a few weeks ago), you didn't have a chance of being accepted as a member of xG no matter how much you played the servers, or how much you enjoyed your time on them.

This new system doesn't require users to distinguish themselves per se, which does show a con of the new system.

Others have correctly pointed out that getting into xG now doesn't feel like anything special anymore. Any applicant now has a high chance of being accepted, and we will end up with members who are like strangers to us. But is that really a bad thing in the long run?

I think this switch of how applications are accepted is a sign of xG's growth, and I'm pleased to see an increase in numbers even if it means sacrificing part of the blissful feeling of being part of a tight-knit community. In addition, Aegean wants to incorporate a system of 'member ranks' where you could progress on a junior-senior level somehow (by posts, time in-game?) which does help compensate for a rise in membership.

This way, members of higher tier represent "family" part of this growing community, and the lower tier members represent the "friends" part of xG.

I guess the question comes down to what counts most in being a member of xG, playtime/appreciation or being distinguished/knowing people. Both are valuable, but which counts the most?

So, after two months of my first application I am inspired to reapply soon. Plus, I have some friends who I can ask to vouch for me for good measure, and I can have some confidence that I'll actually be accepted! :eek:

In the end, I believe this new system will work out for the better. Even if it doesn't, there are checks in it so that no "bag-eggs" can join as members, and also checks in it should it completely fail.

Honestly, i don't see why you couldn't just lower the requirements to like 2 +1s and not 7 plus an admin (at least for TF2). I honestly don't see how getting 2 members to +1 it is hard. A few times, i have seen people join not even be that much of a conversationalist and still get the vouches because they are active on the server and they see them a lot. Even two vouches seems to be fair because if you wish to join xG, it should take some part on the other person's end to get to know the community. a bunch of new members is fine, but what happens when people try to join the clan under a different name then what is recognized on the servers? For example. Say User A, was is a little bit of a jerk to the point where you can justify a -1, he can theoretically get in because some people just don't pay attention to the member submission, since it's lower down on the website. another concern of mine is that it makes it much harder to tell who is and who isn't in xG with the large amount of member requests that will theoretically be made. I don't know, i think it's just a very dramatic change, could it work? Sure, but i guess my concerns are about what could happen. I'm not sure what the community in CS:GO is like but there are a lot of silly people in TF2. Also i'm just a little concerned about dividing members between Juniors and Seniors. It makes me feel that there is gonna be a sense of superiority over people who haven't been here or who aren't that active on forums. I honestly think that we are all xG members, and just adding junior and senior might be a bit confusing or breed some unforeseen shit-posting. Trust me, I've been on other forums who have had problems like that where people fought over post count and other similar things. (Muthead.com being one of the worst offenders despite being a very informative website)

EDIT: also why don't we move the membership forum up on the website? As i mentioned before member submissions are at the bottom of the website, if you wanna push member applications, why not make an advertisement on the website AND move the members section up more and move some of the lesser used forms lower? @Aegean

Edited by Vector (see edit history)

I think if that -1'ing people because you've never seen them should be allowed now because we shouldn't have random people that no one has ever even heard of in xG in my opinion. If other people have heard of them then the vouch would be void.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I think if that -1'ing people because you've never seen them should be allowed now because we shouldn't have random people that no one has ever even heard of in xG in my opinion. If other people have heard of them then the vouch would be void.

I could support this. Maybe making that a valid vouch for staff or Dm/DL could work.

I believe that would kill the entire focus and purpose of this change while it would also be less efficient than our previous membership system, I'd be more in favor of reverting back to the old system if proven that something has to be done

Maybe including the new system just so things would be faster if someone gets about 5 +1's with 0 -1's so far shouldnt they get it instantly or would it stay at 7 if at all?

Maybe including the new system just so things would be faster if someone gets about 5 +1's with 0 -1's so far shouldnt they get it instantly or would it stay at 7 if at all?

What?

I believe that would kill the entire focus and purpose of this change while it would also be less efficient than our previous membership system, I'd be more in favor of reverting back to the old system if proven that something has to be done

How? It just means we won't get randoms in. If someone gets no vouches they will still be allowed in, or if they get 1, 2 or even more.

To address a few things whIle on my phone, we will add a minimum requirement of hours to our servers which should be enough barrier to not let someone in who has 30 minutes which seems to be the major concern from most of you. We are discussing with the higherups to choose an appropriate time

@Vector <3 I agree with bringing the membership section up and lll speak to rhododendron about it to get it changed asap.

Also I understand the concerns behind junior senior ranks (still discussing and not set in stone yet) BUT it would address a lot of issues of you guys calling people randoms and that xG won't feel special to be a member, the purpose of the tags will let active members feel like they are progressing and a big part of their own community. It'll be discussed more and more as time goes on until we have something we are satisfied with

Edited by Aegean (see edit history)