Brian

Great Job

Alright, this is along the same issue with the HG map in jailbreak. First, if it's uploaded anyone can use it, VALVe's ToS states that any map online is fair-game for use. It's only a copyright violation if I were to decompile it and release an edited version (which I have not done).

Secondly, he compared me to PBFortress owner 'Playboy', claiming I did the exact same thing he did. However, if you were to read over this conversation, you would realize that that his statement is false. 'Playboy' was going to pay someone $300-$800 dollars to edit the map, which is against VALVe's ToS (since he didn't have permission from the author) and illegal since he doesn't own the textures/models ripped from SM64. I have not asked anyone to edit the map, nor have edited it myself. I simply filtered out the map protection so I could use it on our server. This is not violating VALVe's ToS so I see no wrong. Also with mabevillage, I simply renamed it to trade_mabevillage and threw it on the server. It loaded but there were graphical issues. I did not convert it nor decompile it so accusing me of doing so is an extremely rash decision.

Now, the fact that he is acting extremely immature about the whole situation, blocking any xG members, and posting my IPs on that post he made shows his maturity and how underdeveloped the person we are dealing with is. If you were to look through his posts, he has had issues with many other people in the past. He trashes other map creators on his blog, and complains that nobody plays his maps. I'm not saying his maps are bad (they are amazing) but he was using GameServers as his GSP and complained about them on his blog, citing constant downtime and whatnot. Because of the lack of donations and server downtime, he recently cancelled the server and announced he was done with the Source engine and would not be releasing any content. I contacted him about it and asked if he would be willing to upload the maps, which he refused. I then expressed my condolences and offered him a server to continue his work on, with zero strings attached and no references to xG (I tend to support dev's with servers ranging from time periods of 3-6 months, I like to support the Source community. I've supported maybe 10 projects since the creation of xG) but he humbly declined. I did infact lie that I wouldn't use the maps (I'm Jewish, sue me) and that is the only accusation that is true. The rest are 100% false.

Some of statements are a bit shocking and tell me the type of person I ticked off. He claims that people take advantage of him, even though he is posting something that is deemed for public use if someone get's the map, and insists that the content he posted for a community (TF2) that is largely based around the Steam Workshop for thousands of custom work is not for other people's use. That's fine, however as soon as he uploaded his files to a public place, according to VALVe's ToS, it is deemed public and no restrictions for standard usage can be placed on it. He claims that you need his permission for standard usage, but that is stated otherwise in VALVe's ToS. The fact that he stated this:

...I always knew that more people would try to take advantage of me in the future. There are hundreds of greedy server owners ... and Rhododendron is just the latest example.

tells me he simply will not accept this fact and anyone who uses his content is taking advantage of him, which is downright false. Most people would fine comfort in a large amount of people using their creations, and the more people who use it, the more feedback the author will get and recognition. However, with him, it is the exact opposite and he doesn't want his work spread around, nor recognition from the TF2 community, which is completely fine! But inhibiting me for using the content that you uploaded to the internet is crazy, especially since my usage of it is completely legal.

Finally, although what I did might be frowned upon, I have done nothing illegal or violated VALVe's ToS. The main reason for going out of my to add the map was that I want the best experience for our players, and will achieve it without breaking the law. I have not done that, so I see zero reason to remove the map, other then from the author's moral standpoint and not my own. The only thing I have done was lie, and I apologize for it.

Not only did you manage to piss off one of the largest map/model makers in TF2, but now you're in even deeper shit, because he has a ton of connections.

You have no respect for anybody anymore. I already blacklisted all xG servers.

http://www.8bitsandwich.com/content/avoid-clan-xenogamers

Congrats. Now we'll never see another ported map from TF2, and you'll be on a lot of people's shitlist. Including mine.

Well xG deserved it, that's what we get for being retards. Glad I left

Alright, this is along the same issue with the HG map in jailbreak. First, if it's uploaded anyone can use it, VALVe's ToS states that any map online is fair-game for use. It's only a copyright violation if I were to decompile it and release an edited version (which I have not done).

Secondly, he compared me to PBFortress owner 'Playboy', claiming I did the exact same thing he did. However, if you were to read over this conversation, you would realize that that his statement is false. 'Playboy' was going to pay someone $300-$800 dollars to edit the map, which is against VALVe's ToS (since he didn't have permission from the author) and illegal since he doesn't own the textures/models ripped from SM64. I have not asked anyone to edit the map, nor have edited it myself. I simply filtered out the map protection so I could use it on our server. This is not violating VALVe's ToS so I see no wrong. Also with mabevillage, I simply renamed it to trade_mabevillage and threw it on the server. It loaded but there were graphical issues. I did not convert it nor decompile it so accusing me of doing so is an extremely rash decision.

Now, the fact that he is acting extremely immature about the whole situation, blocking any xG members, and posting my IPs on that post he made shows his maturity and how underdeveloped the person we are dealing with is. If you were to look through his posts, he has had issues with many other people in the past. He trashes other map creators on his blog, and complains that nobody plays his maps. I'm not saying his maps are bad (they are amazing) but he was using GameServers as his GSP and complained about them on his blog, citing constant downtime and whatnot. Because of the lack of donations and server downtime, he recently cancelled the server and announced he was done with the Source engine and would not be releasing any content. I contacted him about it and asked if he would be willing to upload the maps, which he refused. I then expressed my condolences and offered him a server to continue his work on, with zero strings attached and no references to xG (I tend to support dev's with servers ranging from time periods of 3-6 months, I like to support the Source community. I've supported maybe 10 projects since the creation of xG) but he humbly declined. I did infact lie that I wouldn't use the maps (I'm Jewish, sue me) and that is the only accusation that is true. The rest are 100% false.

Some of statements are a bit shocking and tell me the type of person I ticked off. He claims that people take advantage of him, even though he is posting something that is deemed for public use if someone get's the map, and insists that the content he posted for a community (TF2) that is largely based around the Steam Workshop for thousands of custom work is not for other people's use. That's fine, however as soon as he uploaded his files to a public place, according to VALVe's ToS, it is deemed public and no restrictions for standard usage can be placed on it. He claims that you need his permission for standard usage, but that is stated otherwise in VALVe's ToS. The fact that he stated this:

...I always knew that more people would try to take advantage of me in the future. There are hundreds of greedy server owners ... and Rhododendron is just the latest example.

tells me he simply will not accept this fact and anyone who uses his content is taking advantage of him, which is downright false. Most people would fine comfort in a large amount of people using their creations, and the more people who use it, the more feedback the author will get and recognition. However, with him, it is the exact opposite and he doesn't want his work spread around, nor recognition from the TF2 community, which is completely fine! But inhibiting me for using the content that you uploaded to the internet is crazy, especially since my usage of it is completely legal.

Finally, although what I did might be frowned upon, I have done nothing illegal or violated VALVe's ToS. The main reason for going out of my to add the map was that I want the best experience for our players, and will achieve it without breaking the law. I have not done that, so I see zero reason to remove the map, other then from the author's moral standpoint and not my own. The only thing I have done was lie, and I apologize for it.

Well said. (y)

Not only did you manage to piss off one of the largest map/model makers in TF2, but now you're in even deeper shit, because he has a ton of connections.

Congrats. Now we'll never see another ported map from TF2, and you'll be on a lot of people's shitlist. Including mine.

I wish someone can just ban you.

I wish someone can just ban you.

Too late.

Alright, *insert wall of text here*.

You're still a scumbag, but that's to be expected since you're jewish. Thanks for explaining the situation. I had an idea from the tone of his posts that he was just being a cunt about it.

Isn't unwillingness to remove a map what got Aegean shut out? Not to mention, you went behind his back even after he kindly declined. I'd be upset as well if somebody asked me for something, I said no, and they did it anyway. Plus, he's helped major map makers build custom models, and you stopped all that with 1 strike. You didn't piss only him off, but a nice amount of map makers he's worked with, since they can't get anything now.

If you actually could read, you would see in plain letters to not add him, as he doesn't accept random friend requests.

Once again, great work, ass clown. # AutumnWillNeverLearn

Gah, who cares that this guy has his jimmies all rustled. If you don't want something to be publicly accessible, then don't upload it, simple as that. Sure, it was indecent for Silence to do it anyways when told not to, but it's not like he did it to specifically spite the guy so much as he did it to attract more players to the TF2 Division.

I will admit that it's a shame that the guy branded Every xG member as indecent or a liar, because like Jake so perfectly said:

Trying to claim all of us are thieves is like trying to claim every black guy is a thug just because one of them stole my bike when I was little.

You can't expect to create or make something amazing and expect that Everyone who has access to it is going to be decent (especially when dealing with it Online, where it's so much easier to get away with). That's just ignorant and naive. There will be people to take it regardless, people who edit it to their liking and etc because they Enjoy the creator's product/map/whatever. If what Silence said is true, he broke no ToS and that guy shouldn't have such high expectations when dealing with these sort of things.

Honestly, the fact that Silence tried so hard to obtain the map should be treated like this from this guy;

A. He took it without permission, I should be upset.

BUT

B. He went through all that effort just to get one of my maps, I really should take that as a compliment.

If people weren't so one-sided and weighed in both sides, they wouldn't jump to drastic measures so damn quickly. Just my 2 cents on all this.

- Dat guy, Forest

I think if you weren't such an asshat sometimes you wouldn't piss so many people off.

You always try to rationalize your decisions but with so many people leaving your clan because of your shit decisions it seems you've got to own up to something sooner or later.

I think if you weren't such an asshat sometimes you wouldn't piss so many people off.

You always try to rationalize your decisions but with so many people leaving your clan because of your shit decisions it seems you've got to own up to something sooner or later.

He used a map, so what?