Matsi

Suggestion: Sourceban Accounts For Staff

Sorry, but I think I'm with Hidingmaster on this one. It'd be hard to manage, and it could easily be abused. If this does happen, a good starting point is just to give it to admins. We can see where it goes from there.

-1 for the overall idea.

+1 for trying it.

This. I'm all for trying this out, but we need to keep a close watch out for any potential abuse. The safest approach would be do a trial run with a smaller portion of current staff and see how it goes. If there's no abuse of ban editing powers, then I might be alright with giving "edit ban" powers to most, if not all staff.

This. I'm all for trying this out, but we need to keep a close watch out for any potential abuse. The safest approach would be do a trial run with a smaller portion of current staff and see how it goes. If there's no abuse of ban editing powers, then I might be alright with giving "edit ban" powers to most, if not all staff.

Now this is a good idea

.... anyone that can't be trusted shouldn't be given powers in the first place....

You're 100% right. But regardless, given the track record of incidents within xG where someone abused their power; its just not an easy decision to hand out the capability of editing bans. In fact, having access to only edit bans should be so seldom that it shouldn't even be given as a command for all Staff to use in the first place. When dealing a ban, Staff should already know the appropriate length, reason, or other information to be given to justify a ban. Should something be incorrect, the procedure of editing a ban is simple enough:

1. Staff Member requests a ban be edited for X reason
  2. The intention to edit the ban has been acknowledged by more than one person (The Higher-Up(s)
  3. The Higher-Ups edit the ban as see fit

To give a large number of Staff access to SourceBans involves a lot of potential edits that no one will likely hear of, only the one editing will know of it. This could open up a whole new can of worms where people will be editing whatever they see fit without prior permission, and it would be virtually undetectable in the sense that who knows what the reason prior to an edit was.

If such an option is really in dire need (which I personally don't think it is due in part to the rare circumstances of an edit) then I would suggest that it be only available to Staff who have been with xG for X amount of time. This way, at a certain amount of time, Staff will have earned the trust needed to have access to such a thing.

Here's why I think the current system is good:

A mod bans someone perm. They realize that they messed up. Currently they have to contact a higher up to fix the ban. This contact does 2 things

1) Makes the mod be accountable of their mistake, publicly to a person in power

2) Allows a higher up the knowledge of the mistake.

You're 100% right. But regardless, given the track record of incidents within xG where someone abused their power; its just not an easy decision to hand out the capability of editing bans. In fact, having access to only edit bans should be so seldom that it shouldn't even be given as a command for all Staff to use in the first place. When dealing a ban, Staff should already know the appropriate length, reason, or other information to be given to justify a ban. Should something be incorrect, the procedure of editing a ban is simple enough:

1. Staff Member requests a ban be edited for X reason
  2. The intention to edit the ban has been acknowledged by more than one person (The Higher-Up(s)
  3. The Higher-Ups edit the ban as see fit

To give a large number of Staff access to SourceBans involves a lot of potential edits that no one will likely hear of, only the one editing will know of it. This could open up a whole new can of worms where people will be editing whatever they see fit without prior permission, and it would be virtually undetectable in the sense that who knows what the reason prior to an edit was.

If such an option is really in dire need (which I personally don't think it is due in part to the rare circumstances of an edit) then I would suggest that it be only available to Staff who have been with xG for X amount of time. This way, at a certain amount of time, Staff will have earned the trust needed to have access to such a thing.

Here's why I think the current system is good:

A mod bans someone perm. They realize that they messed up. Currently they have to contact a higher up to fix the ban. This contact does 2 things

1) Makes the mod be accountable of their mistake, publicly to a person in power

2) Allows a higher up the knowledge of the mistake.

Well then, is there a way to make it so the only access you have is to upload files to the ban? That's what I was really after, so I don't have to keep the files on my computer and risk deleting them.

Well then, is there a way to make it so the only access you have is to upload files to the ban? That's what I was really after, so I don't have to keep the files on my computer and risk deleting them.

You have to give edit ban permissions to upload demos. An alternative would be to use a plugin to auto record a demo, and @Rhododendron could create something to put it on the website. The only problem is that there's a glitch in TF2 that crashes clients if the max players is set to 32.

You have to give edit ban permissions to upload demos. An alternative would be to use a plugin to auto record a demo, and @Rhododendron could create something to put it on the website. The only problem is that there's a glitch in TF2 that crashes clients if the max players is set to 32.

I rather people attach demos to the forums for now. I don't trust the sourcebans upload feature.

I rather people attach demos to the forums for now. I don't trust the sourcebans upload feature.

Then perhaps a staff only area of the forums for posting proof when you perm someone? sort of like a admin log... each mod/admin can have their own thread within the forum section to post their logs? Sort of like how RL security fill out incident reports... Just an idea.

Then perhaps a staff only area of the forums for posting proof when you perm someone? sort of like a admin log... each mod/admin can have their own thread within the forum section to post their logs? Sort of like how RL security fill out incident reports... Just an idea.

Ugh nobody would like to do that, however I might implement a more comprehensive logging system with the new bans system, like it grabs last 200 lines of chat logs before the user get's banned and such, and requires the admin to fill out a form before the ban will go through.