Matsi

Suggestion: Sourceban Accounts For Staff

I think we should give staff access to sourcebans, IE give every staff member logins that allow them to edit their own bans, for purposes of fixing banlengths, typos, and uploading demos and screenshots to bans. Doing this would not only allow staff members to fix their ban reasons when they forget to use quotes but also allow, and potentially create a rule for, adding evidence to bans. Such a rule could be something that requires staff to upload a screenshot or demo to any permanent ban they do. The ability to supply such proof on perm bans will be greatly helpful if the ban was protested 2-5 years later and/or if the staff that issued the ban is no longer around.

I don't understand how xG has been around for so long and has never implemented this feature for it's staff.

@Rhododendron @Nomulous @Hidingmaster @ThePenguin @diabeetus @Gawd @DrLee @kbraszzz @Rejects

I think it might be just that it takes time to make sourceban accounts for all staff and new staff. It would just be tedious. But I don't, I'm just sharing my theory. Also only silence can make them I believe and or Nomulous too.

There are. Only Higher-Ups have access to it for reasons that are obvious. Lot of nigs can't be trusted :coffee:

.... anyone that can't be trusted shouldn't be given powers in the first place.... what obvious reasons? You can set it up so that people can just edit their own bans and upload demos/screenshots.... what's the problem? Laziness?

Yush!

.... anyone that can't be trusted shouldn't be given powers in the first place.... what obvious reasons? You can set it up so that people can just edit their own bans and upload demos/screenshots.... what's the problem? Laziness?

+1 +1 +1

If you can set it up where they only have access to edit their own bans, then by all means we need it. If it's only possible to give them full access, then no way that's happening. Just because people are trusted with powers as mod/admin doesn't mean they won't do something stupid when they leave the clan. We give the powers to a limited number of people to reduce the chances of something bad happening, and sourcebans is a pretty serious thing. I could go in and perm ban every single player, and remove everyone's access to server powers; that's why only a few of us have access.

All DMs+ have access to modify bans or anything that we give access too. There is too much risk for giving normal staff access to SB, since truth be told if there's an accidental ban there's plentiful of staff who can fix it. SourceBans admins are meant to moderate the bans, not modify small mistakes that everyone can abuse. At the current time, there doesn't seem to be an issue for only higher ups to have access to SB.

+1

We should only be able to edit our own bans to not badger the DM's+.

If there's really a demand for this, [uSERGROUP=23]@Community Leader[/uSERGROUP] can discuss the potential community issues, there is a setting for "Edit Own Bans".

I agree with editing our own bans instead of other people's bans. +1

Potentially useful if its implemented.

And weed out staff members who abuse issuing of bans.

If you can set it up where they only have access to edit their own bans, then by all means we need it. If it's only possible to give them full access, then no way that's happening. Just because people are trusted with powers as mod/admin doesn't mean they won't do something stupid when they leave the clan. We give the powers to a limited number of people to reduce the chances of something bad happening, and sourcebans is a pretty serious thing. I could go in and perm ban every single player, and remove everyone's access to server powers; that's why only a few of us have access.

+1 As long as we can see any edited bans.

Sorry, but I think I'm with Hidingmaster on this one. It'd be hard to manage, and it could easily be abused. If this does happen, a good starting point is just to give it to admins. We can see where it goes from there.

-1 for the overall idea.

+1 for trying it.