diabeetus

[serious] Bach - Team Fortress 2

I'm gonna say -1 unless he did it outside of the educational usage.... since I at one point considered installing a wallhack so I could monitor wallhacking (tho the one I considered was designed to only work while spectate)... never did cause i was too afraid of getting vac banned lolol...

I believe the spirit of the "no cheating" rule(which is the one that applies to hacking/aimbots) is using such things to cheat, abuse, annoy.... if all he was doing was checking it out so it would be easier to watch out for, I don't feel he should be punished... if anyone has any evidence that he was abusively using it in any way then by all means, share it and I might change my vote on this...

If he's evading bans anywhere, ban the other accounts for the same amount of time as per the rules of the clan, and/or possibly extend his bans if it continues to happen.

I'm gonna say -1 unless he did it outside of the educational usage.... since I at one point considered installing a wallhack so I could monitor wallhacking (tho the one I considered was designed to only work while spectate)... never did cause i was too afraid of getting vac banned lolol...

I believe the spirit of the "no cheating" rule(which is the one that applies to hacking/aimbots) is using such things to cheat, abuse, annoy.... if all he was doing was checking it out so it would be easier to watch out for, I don't feel he should be punished... if anyone has any evidence that he was abusively using it in any way then by all means, share it and I might change my vote on this...

If he's evading bans anywhere, ban the other accounts for the same amount of time as per the rules of the clan, and/or possibly extend his bans if it continues to happen.

This.

However, I must say, the timing is horrendous with the most recent butt fudge storm appearing. Especially since Bach got involved in that.

Yes, it is. Bach will more than likely have to answer for his actions in that thread. The creation of a new account, the insults, etc etc. But, the actions specifically addressed in this thread are the accusations of the use of hacks. The only time I've known Bach to use a hack was under my supervision.

As I said before, I'll more than happily support any punishment given granted that evidence of these claims is brought forward.

Hahahah Bach didn't try to "cheat to win" or ruin anyone's life In this situation I'm not really sure why people are getting such a big dick about this. The other stuff he did though I guess you can sh*t on him for that.

Was there any particular reason he couldn't (assuming he didn't) ask for permission from Higher-Ups before choosing to utilize a hack (regardless of its intention) for the sake of demonstration? I understand that it wasn't used maliciously and that it was used for "educational" purposes, but with that said: Was there a reason to do it on xG Servers, given the prior knowledge that utilizing hacks in any form is grounds for a Permanent Server ban?

Was there any particular reason he couldn't (buttuming he didn't) ask for permission from Higher-Ups before choosing to utilize a hack (regardless of its intention) for the sake of demonstration? I understand that it wasn't used maliciously and that it was used for "educational" purposes, but with that said: Was there a reason to do it on xG Servers, given the prior knowledge that utilizing hacks in any form is grounds for a Permanent Server ban?

I'd assume it was probably because nobody really thought it'd be THAT big of a deal to demo it for ten minutes, especially since all the staff that were present had no issue with it. It was also during a time in which there were no other randoms on the server. It was literally JUST xG members and staff.

Where else would we have gone to test this out? Some other random server where people WOULD get mad because of the use of a hack? Why subject a different server to those unpleasantries when we could control it in our own spectrum?

You also have to realize that the Dodgeball server was still VERY new. We were in the process of writing up the rules list for it and this was a question someone had. "How do we know if someone is hacking and what do we do about it?" It really isn't something you can describe to be honest. It's easier to understand to watch it in action.

Was there any particular reason he couldn't (buttuming he didn't) ask for permission from Higher-Ups before choosing to utilize a hack (regardless of its intention) for the sake of demonstration? I understand that it wasn't used maliciously and that it was used for "educational" purposes, but with that said: Was there a reason to do it on xG Servers, given the prior knowledge that utilizing hacks in any form is grounds for a Permanent Server ban?

The DM and several staff members allowed it for educational purposes. The underlined is just making things unnecessarily difficult.

I'll just quote this to help out:

I refuse to let him be punished for educating our staff on how to spot and recognize hackers on our servers. It was requested, by our staff, so that we could better understand how the hackers used their tools to gain an advantage in a new server that many of our staff/members hadn't actually even played before. Is hacking against the rules? Yes. Was he given permission to engage the hack? Yes. If you want to pursue a ban based on these actions, you just might have to punish the entire staff that was involved because they were allowing it to happen. Myself included.

That situation, however, was contained and regulated by myself and many other staff members. It has nothing to do with the claim at hand and it was already handled.

Be a person and not a rulebot, think about it for a minute before you decide he should be permanently banned for something like this. Would it benefit the servers or not?(Because it seems to have benefitted the server so far) Saying this could be another "escape" for hacking in the future is a bad excuse. This is the first time it's happened in the history of xG(?), what are the chances of it happening ever again?

Saying this could be another "escape" for hacking in the future is a bad excuse.

Guaranteed, I will be able to identify and ban anyone using LMAOBox in the future. It has benefited us tremendously.

The underlined is just making things unnecessarily difficult.

Be a person and not a rulebot, think about it for a minute before you decide he should be permanently banned for something like this.

Rules are written and put in place for a reason, regardless of how they may "make things unnecessarily difficult". Tampering with something that is punishable by the furthest extent of punishment at xG's disposal (Permanent Server ban) will always be something that requires deep consideration and should therefore not be shrugged off as something that merely inhibits a valid point. If coming off as a "rulebot" is what is to be expected of someone who is enforcing what we have written, then so be it.

The fact of the matter is that he hacked without the consent or permission of someone like the Community Leader(s) or Leader(s); and while it may have been done with the interest of the Server in mind, that is not the kind of call that is within the jurisdiction of a Division Manager or Division Leader to make when it violates General Server rules.

I am neither for, nor against a Permanent Server ban; however, scenarios that involve it should not be taken so lightly.

Rules are written and put in place for a reason, regardless of how they may "make things unnecessarily difficult". Tampering with something that is punishable by the furthest extent of punishment at xG's disposal (Permanent Server ban) will always be something that requires deep consideration and should therefore not be shrugged off as something that merely inhibits a valid point. If coming off as a "rulebot" is what is to be expected of someone who is enforcing what we have written, then so be it.

The fact of the matter is that he hacked without the consent or permission of someone like the Community Leader(s) or Leader(s); and while it may have been done with the interest of the Server in mind, that is not the kind of call that is within the jurisdiction of a Division Manager or Division Leader to make when it violates General Server rules.

I am neither for, nor against a Permanent Server ban; however, scenarios that involve it should not be taken so lightly.

I understand. All i wanted to point out was that it was likely a very beneficial thing to do at the moment, and will most likely never happen again. That's why i wanted you to think twice about giving him a permanent ban, and how people would react to that.

Alright, its clearly just an issue of hindsight here. I can easily see how it was deemed an okay idea when it happened, there were staff members on, a non vital account used, and I would assume there wasn't anyone non xG on at the time. There was no harm no foul, just a bunch of people trying to raise a stink about something that was meant to help.

In hindsight, yes, you should let someone higher (CL or L) know about actively hacking on the servers whether it be for fun (don't do it for fun...) or educational purposes. If ya'll have reservations about contacting us, please let us know why; we want to help. We are here to help things go smoothly and give advice. Most of us are on multiple times per day (forums) or for a good majority of the time on Teamspeak. If you even have the slightest question about doing something/what someone did/etc, ask.

Should bach be banned? ABSOLUTELY NOT. There's no reason to. The rules are there to prevent people from being victims, in this case it would be someone having an unfair advantage and ruining a round/game. Please use some common sense regarding rules. They aren't absolute and definite (albeit most of the time, yes they are).

Good lord people.