Scootaloo

In Regards To "death Threats" And "encouraging Suicide".

In light of recent events, the DMs and DLs of our TF2 division have congregated and discussed at length how our Mods and Admins are to handle specific offenses, those of which are directly related to "Death Threats", "Encouraging Suicide", and "Disrespect" as a whole.

@Vector created a thread on the forums last night that directly addressed these issues. If you haven't seen said thread, it can be read here: Death Threats | Xeno Gamers

In this thread, many good points have been made about the validity of individuals being banned for using such harsh terms as "Go Kill Yourself" and whether or not these kinds of insults should be tied into the "Death Threat" category. On one side, many of our members are of the mindset that this is the kind of language and treatment we want to avoid on our servers at all costs. The other side feels that we are making too many leaps and bounds to ensure that people aren't being offended. Both are valid concerns, and I can say a decision has been made.

Henceforth, the way we handle these kinds of offenses is to change. Before this, we were permanently banning individuals for using such harsh language towards others on our servers, but now, we are going to be a tad bit more lenient. To all the Mods and Admins reading this thread, you are expected to follow the same measures as we have always expected of you when dealing with said issues: Warn, then Mute/Gag, then Kick, then Ban if the offenses continue. No longer are we expecting immediate bans of any sort. Instead, you are to follow the same procedure as with any other disrespecting individual. ANY MODS OR ADMINS NOT FOLLOWING PROCEDURE AS WE EXPECT WILL FACE IMMEDIATE DEMOTION. You are all expected to follow procedure with a level head, to the tee. Absolutely no exceptions.

The DMs have all unanimously decided that members telling others to kill themselves is NOT as severe as telling someone that they are going to be murdered. That being said, this offense will still be met with a matter of severity.

If you encounter any individuals who continue to tell others that they need to kill themselves, even after the warnings, then the offense will be met with no lower than a week ban at minimum. This is ONLY to be dealt out if said individual continues to ignore warnings and persist with their behavior. As I stated above, any Mods or Admins who are NOT following the given procedure to deal with offenders will be met with immediate demotion. PLEASE ensure you are following correct procedure and giving warnings, using the mute and gag systems, and using the kick function before issuing bans. This should be the norm with ANY issue you face, and bans should only be used in the most extreme cases. As always, when bans are administered, please also do your best to collect the proper evidence if you feel it necessary to possibly seek a permanent ban down the line.

We do not want ill-spoken users making anyone's experience negative, but at the same time, we don't want to turn into Nazi's trying to censor everyone and cater to the smallest hurt feelings. No longer will we treat "Go Kill Yourself" offenses as permanent bans, but will handle them as any other form of disrespect.

If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to post in this thread. Thank you.

@Moosty @Rejects @Ohstopyou @kbraszzz

the last ban request that was made about death threats was handled so poorly that most people didn't even bother coming back due to bias and favoritism of said offender.

also the perms kept people in line on the servers because they know a ban will be issued if they are caught.

I don't care if we're called hitler a death threat is serious.

That was addressed as another concern, and I can assure you that if our Mods and Admins make sure to follow correct procedure, we will NOT have another blunder like that again. But you are right, that last thread was a huge mess. We are aiming to avoid things like that in the future.

Also, you are 100% correct. Death Threats are a HUGE issue. However, telling someone that they should kill themselves isn't a death threat. It's disrespect. That doesn't mean it isn't severe, but it isn't as severe as threatening to track someone down and murder them, which is what is textbook definition of an actual Death Threat.

I normally gave people a warning beforehand anyways and they usually stop right then. Seems good

I would like to say that I feel like this should mean that the several recent perm bans, like @jrulez8 , should be lessened in respect to this new protocol.

I normally gave people a warning beforehand anyways and they usually stop right then. Seems good

I would like to say that I feel like this should mean that the several recent perm bans, like @jrulez8 , should be lessened in respect to this new protocol.

This is another thought being kicked around as well, just so I can give an officiated statement on the matter. We are looking into recently banned individuals who were given the axe for this reason to see if there was any other negative behavior that added into the ban, and considering all aspects.

For those who were banned solely because of telling someone else to "Go Kill Themselves", we will most likely be reducing the sentence.

First of all I would like to thank scoot also and the rest of the Tf2 div for listuning to my concerns regardless of hitory and collaborating with one another to actually get these damn rules correct.

Second of all its 230 am. I didn't read what scoot said yet cause I'm fucking tired. I'll respond tomorrow.

Just wanted to thank everyone for keeping the community fair but firm.

i'd say use fear and force on serious issues but be fair with the others on small issues (like the uber exploit)

don't want to say names but some people made gave unfair punishments to some people because they know they can't say anything back without any backlash handed towards them.

This is another thought being kicked around as well, just so I can give an officiated statement on the matter. We are looking into recently banned individuals who were given the axe for this reason to see if there was any other negative behavior that added into the ban, and considering all aspects.

For those who were banned solely because of telling someone else to "Go Kill Themselves", we will most likely be reducing the sentence.

As far as I could tell he was banned for disrespect and trolling, and then it was increased for the "death threats" after that...

I don't think the disrespect warranted a week ban but meh.... better than a perm I would think.... he was never warned or anything about death threats until in his ban protest, so I think he should be cleared of them, he know not to do it now.

As for the "evasion" I am unclear whether he actually evaded or if he just said he was going to, if he ACTUALLY used his other account to evade, it should only be banned for as long as his main one.... evading bans does not increase the ban length as far as I know.

Not a big fan of reorientation.

its like getting an order from your CO to pull the trigger on a enemy but goes back to saying hold your fire rather quickly.

Like it or not, this is what the DMs have decided. Myself included. So this is what we are all obliged to uphold.

I thank you guys for your understanding and quick adaptations.

As Matsi said, I have always warned first and they usually stopped. This change is 10/10, A+ material, and I'm glad it happened. I thought for a while that it was silly to go straight for a perm and have stated it before.

i'd say use fear and force on serious issues but be fair with the others on small issues (like the uber exploit)

SO getting pissed and telling somebody to kill themselfs is so bad u have to perm people? seriously?? telling somebody ur gonna have them swatted or track them down rape and murder them is far far worse, telling people to kill themselfs isnt okay but perming over it is over dramatice. i think silence wanted this more to be about people threatening to kill others or to kill themselfs more so then an angry "go kill urself" cause past issues within xG. surprised he doesnt run a background check on people cause of @Tarin chrono's favorite person ever.

chrono smells worse then rabid's tiddiy sweat.

fear and force? Really? You want us to look like the next Jiggly's Fun House or something? It only makes us look like nazi's who watch EVERY damn thing you do and if you slip up slightly you are banned. I can't tell you how many times certain xG members and staff should have been permed for saying this (not saying recent but a lot of us have said it at least once.)