Matsi

My New 3d Printer

Just got a 3d printer, it's awesome fun to use, tho it takes hours to print anything... Here's in progress pictures of the case I am printing for my Galaxy S6 Edge

The Filiment is a purple and it changes to pink when it heats up. so like if my phone gets hot or I am holding it those areas will turn pink! Pretty cool stuff! :)

Dropbox - phone case printing

5aa4c323db81e_PhoneCasePrinting1.thumb.jpg.69556297d31be785d092bdc06ec28ef1.jpg

5aa4c3246534c_PhoneCasePrinting2.thumb.jpg.211b57301fb7a8ad31c2cb653b24d573.jpg

5aa4c324e971c_PhoneCasePrinting3.thumb.jpg.72b780331f4cb52dfb3ef0495ecb3260.jpg

Edited by Matsi (see edit history)

I have one at my dad's place, they're super cool. In 8th grade we did a science project where we had to mail ourselves a pringle in an attempt to not break it. I measured the pringle and made a 3D printed box out of it rofl. It was awesome.

Did you buy this one? Aren't they like super expenisve?

Yes, this one wasn't too expensive. I plan to use it with my company to make money too, hopefully stuff sells well :)

How malleable is the plastic itself after being printed? I figured 3D printed anything would be pretty brittle, but does it depend on the filament being used?

When I worked at Barnes and Noble we had one were able to use, and we sold some of the stuff it could print at the store. If I had one of those suckers for myself I'd be making my money back through etsy and other stuff like that.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

How malleable is the plastic itself after being printed? I figured 3D printed anything would be pretty brittle, but does it depend on the filament being used?

I have both PLA and ABS plastic, the PLA is a little bit flexible, the ABS things I have made are solid as hell, I was actually making a flashlight mount for my M&P40 picatinny rail and forgot that abs shrinks a little as it cools so it was too small, it too a lot of force to break it and even then it only cracked.

Here's a video of a guy testing some ABS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wa__KCm_T0

It broke at 250 lbs of weight

Edited by Guest (see edit history)