MysteryMann

Mysterymann - Team Fortress 2

touchy touchy

In all seriousness, you were banned for a legitimate reason. You were micspamming by using text to speech on the mic. You then decided to argue with Supreme over the mute, which ended in getting you gagged. Both justifiable punishments. Then you would go ahead and evade both of them by continuing the argument about your mute, by commenting on Supreme's profile. This could have been handled better on Supreme's end, but all these are justifiable punishments. -1 for now

Yeah Yeah I get the point.

Under normal circumstances you would be correct in saying that anything done outside of Servers should have no sway on rules broken in the Servers; however, this does vary from time to time, especially when it comes to harassment or other abusive communication (text or verbal). Assuming this was the case, then the ban was justifiable.

That being said, if this was simply a matter of a Player commenting on a Staff's profile to get a rise out of the Staff, then no, I don't believe this to be a justifiable ban in any way. Not only is this not disrupting the gameplay or Players/Staff on the Server, but this may very well be borderline abuse of power.

Before this gets blown out of proportion, (also keep in mind that this is personal opinion) please consider the following:

Staff are there to Moderate the Servers in order to maintain a healthy gaming environment free of rulebreakers, trolls, etc. Unless a Player is explicitly affecting the Servers (or is otherwise harassing a Player on our Servers) then there is no reason to ban a Player for their actions outside of the Servers. In other words, in order for a Player to be punished, they have to be affecting the Server as a whole, or, and this is a big 'or', they have to be a danger (IE. [verbal] harassment, threats, etc) to any of the Players in the Server (including Staff). Anything above or beyond this is an abuse of power from the Staff (depending on the situation).

Staff are expected to receive a lot of slack for what they do, both ingame and out of it; this is a given. However, by no means should they be punishing Players for what they do outside of the game, especially for something as trivial as this.

As a reminder, this is all personal opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. I'd also like to point out that all Players, regardless of the reason, are entitled to post a Ban Protest; regardless of how frivolous it may seem to some. The point for many of these isn't that the ban is for a minor amount of time, but that the ban may have been unwarranted or unjustified.

+/-0 on this Ban Protest.

Under normal circumstances you would be correct in saying that anything done outside of Servers should have no sway on rules broken in the Servers; however, this does vary from time to time, especially when it comes to harassment or other abusive communication (text or verbal). Assuming this was the case, then the ban was justifiable.

That being said, if this was simply a matter of a Player commenting on a Staff's profile to get a rise out of the Staff, then no, I don't believe this to be a justifiable ban in any way. Not only is this not disrupting the gameplay or Players/Staff on the Server, but this may very well be borderline abuse of power.

Before this gets blown out of proportion, (also keep in mind that this is personal opinion) please consider the following:

Staff are there to Moderate the Servers in order to maintain a healthy gaming environment free of rulebreakers, trolls, etc. Unless a Player is explicitly affecting the Servers (or is otherwise harassing a Player on our Servers) then there is no reason to ban a Player for their actions outside of the Servers. In other words, in order for a Player to be punished, they have to be affecting the Server as a whole, or, and this is a big 'or', they have to be a danger (IE. [verbal] harassment, threats, etc) to any of the Players in the Server (including Staff). Anything above or beyond this is an abuse of power from the Staff (depending on the situation).

Staff are expected to receive a lot of slack for what they do, both ingame and out of it; this is a given. However, by no means should they be punishing Players for what they do outside of the game, especially for something as trivial as this.

As a reminder, this is all personal opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. I'd also like to point out that all Players, regardless of the reason, are entitled to post a Ban Protest; regardless of how frivolous it may seem to some. The point for many of these isn't that the ban is for a minor amount of time, but that the ban may have been unwarranted or unjustified.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind.

@Vexx

I know it's just a one day ban. I mention it in the first post I made. Doesn't hurt to see it I can get it lowered to like a 12 hour except it doessince I got carried away in arguing. Doesn't surprise me though. The first day I open my mouth and already it gets me a ban hints why I tend to keep it closed. Same thing happened in rxg. Opened my mouth when it shouldve stayed closed.

Your voice ≠ Google Search Assistant

We might need to have a conversation on what sort of outside of server communication can be punishment worthy at some point, but that convo will take more than a day. So unfortunately you'll probably have to wait it out.

And as @Forest said, anyone can make a ban protest no matter how seemingly frivolous or no matter how short the ban. They can all be valid. We could still learn something and improve xG if the higher ups clarify and discuss this type of case, but it won't affect this case in particular, so it's kind of see you tomorrow at this point.

We might need to have a conversation on what sort of outside of server communication can be punishment worthy at some point, but that convo will take more than a day.

Strongly agree with what Moosty suggested as this something that should be addressed sooner rather than later @Aegean