realBelloWaldi

What Gamemodes Do You Wanna Have?

Not trying to act really opinionated here, but how much dodgeball have you played and have you ever been any good at it? Pls no hate ;}

Dodgeball is really simple, i played it before

@CappyCappy, Honestly you haven't went on a server that's actually running the server with good scripts. Goto Friendly Fire or something. Send me a message if you want the IP, cause it's fun but requires some decent skill.

Also here are some of my favorites ~ Smash Bros, Huntsman Hell as @Vexx mentioned in the last thread, Gun Game, Dodgeball, Jump, and Hidden

We used to have a Dodgeball, Smash, and Hidden server, but all didn't do too well... Starting servers with new gamemodes is rough, since people either like to only play a certain mode, or already have a go-to server for that mode.

If we were somehow able to find a mode that is high in demand but few servers actually offer it, then it might do better

Hear me out but a friendly server with pony and minecraft maps would be lit AF.

But honestly, if I could offer a real suggestion, if I learned anything in xG it's that if you want to build a population on a server the server should be simple, Like one or two maps tops simple. Our trade servers are the Perfect example. Our most consistently populated servers over the course of the tf2 division by far, and for most of their lifespan they had a combined two maps, Clocktown and Goldenrod city. And when tgh almost died right before and while I was DM I was a big supporter of the controversial decision to go back to 24/7 clocktown to save the server, and it worked. Now tgh and poke trade are still our most consistently populated servers, and the map pools have grown. So if I had to give some advice, I'd say pick a really cool, expansive, interesting map with lots of things to do, that people are actually passionate about playing on, base a server around it, and work from there until you have an actually good server that people spend their whole day on.

Tl;dr: I've been here a long time, and we've done this throw some plugins on a server with no passion for the mode behind it and just hope population appears a bunch of times. It's only ever worked with ZF, and youtubers + good timing was the perfect storm.

We have a way better track record with starting simple and working outward than we do with throwing all our hopes on dreams at a server and hoping it sticks. Just stop the cycle it's kind of depressing.

As an example/suggestion, taking hyrule off of tgh and putting it on it's own server would draw more population than minimum 3/4 of the other ideas in this thread. You guys shouldn't be looking for modes, you should be looking for maps.

This rambled, sorry, I've just seen this exact thread with the exact level of fake urgency at least six times, it wears on the soul.

Hear me out but a friendly server with pony and minecraft maps would be lit AF.

But honestly, if I could offer a real suggestion, if I learned anything in xG it's that if you want to build a population on a server the server should be simple, Like one or two maps tops simple. Our trade servers are the Perfect example. Our most consistently populated servers over the course of the tf2 division by far, and for most of their lifespan they had a combined two maps, Clocktown and Goldenrod city. And when tgh almost died right before and while I was DM I was a big supporter of the controversial decision to go back to 24/7 clocktown to save the server, and it worked. Now tgh and poke trade are still our most consistently populated servers, and the map pools have grown. So if I had to give some advice, I'd say pick a really cool, expansive, interesting map with lots of things to do, that people are actually passionate about playing on, base a server around it, and work from there until you have an actually good server that people spend their whole day on.

Tl;dr: I've been here a long time, and we've done this throw some plugins on a server with no passion for the mode behind it and just hope population appears a bunch of times. It's only ever worked with ZF, and youtubers + good timing was the perfect storm.

We have a way better track record with starting simple and working outward than we do with throwing all our hopes on dreams at a server and hoping it sticks. Just stop the cycle it's kind of depressing.

As an example/suggestion, taking hyrule off of tgh and putting it on it's own server would draw more population than minimum 3/4 of the other ideas in this thread. You guys shouldn't be looking for modes, you should be looking for maps.

This rambled, sorry, I've just seen this exact thread with the exact level of fake urgency at least six times, it wears on the soul.

I'm going to have to disagree with you about that moosty. If there's anything I've learned, it's that the players make the server. Every server kinda draws its community around a few players because they're interesting or fun to be around. I wouldn't blame maps or bad plugins or anything on a server dying, it's just the community lost its interest. With so many other games out there and more releasing every day, you can't exactly expect all tf2 servers to keep a stable population after this long. It's been proven that we can populate any server if we just get a few people in it, those may being a select few personalities. If the whole "maps make the server" concept were true, TGH probably would've lost a lot of population when Nimbusland was removed. Besides, there's nothing wrong with trying something new at this point, it'll at least give a bit more variety to us.

I'm going to have to disagree with you about that moosty. If there's anything I've learned, it's that the players make the server. Every server kinda draws its community around a few players because they're interesting or fun to be around. I wouldn't blame maps or bad plugins or anything on a server dying, it's just the community lost its interest. With so many other games out there and more releasing every day, you can't exactly expect all tf2 servers to keep a stable population after this long. It's been proven that we can populate any server if we just get a few people in it, those may being a select few personalities. If the whole "maps make the server" concept were true, TGH probably would've lost a lot of population when Nimbusland was removed. Besides, there's nothing wrong with trying something new at this point, it'll at least give a bit more variety to us.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying a strong community isn't what keeps a server going, because it obviously is, the communities on our trade servers have been nurtured and cared for by people passionate about them, and that's why they're so strong. It's also why the only times our other servers have consistently rivaled them, which would be both jb1 and saxton hale at their respective peaks, is because staff and a community of regulars built it.

The point I'm trying to make here, is that all that text up there isn't going to happen if we throw x10, or dodgeball, or S L E N D A H, or anyother gamemode onto a server like we've done tons of times in the past. It doesn't work. People will lose interest, but that's not even the issue.

Tf2 as a game isn't dying, but it's pretty stagnant. People have the servers they like, and rarely have reason to change. We throw a mode on a server and we're instantly going to be competing with servers upon servers hosting that same gamemode, who have months if not years of community building as a head start that we don't, and we'll be competing for the same players, it won't work. Not even us being committed will work, just look at rotation history. People loved it, people cared, we would spend hours trying to populate it every week. And outside of one or two glorious nights, we wouldn't get more than 10-12 people tops. Atleast half of whom would be from xG. And it died pretty quick.

We've had these same problems with inactive servers for years, and trying the same thing over and over isn't going to get us anywhere. The way i see it we have three wotkable options that keep the tf2 div alive:

Option 1: just settle on some game modes that we like, and let the inactivity happen where it will, we're still here now aren't we?

Option 2: *ominous pipe organ plays* we downsize the div. This would need to be a higher up choice and I'm not even going to start thinking about what the right number would be etc, but this is still viable.

Option 3: Get creative and ready for most attempts to fail. If we aren't going to outcompete established communities for their population, which we aren't, we need to build our own, from scratch. Start with something different, that a few members and a staff member or two care alot about, and take a chance. If you fail, you fail. But if you succeed, that community will be so much stronger than it would be if you plopped in a gamemode or plugin and hoped. Because like @Vexx said, it isn't the plugins and maps that make a community, it's the players.

We don't need to bring something people already like to them in a different place, we need to bring them something they didn't know they wanted going in. That's how you build a strong community.

Just because we haven't had a x10 server, doesn't mean it will magically be effective and popular when we do. We've tried every other popular gamemode, and it's never just happened. If we want a server to work, we either need it to happen organically, or because people put the effort in. We've changed so many servers with no heart or accountability in the process and it doesn't work. If we plop some new game modes on a server, we need staff willing to go out of their way to be there when it's empty, and put the work in when it sucks. We should have certain staff hat have a certain time requirement on new servers, or double time served if it's spent on our less populated servers. Some sort of incentive ro actually get staff there, because staff there is the best way for a population to grow.

Otherwise, without incentive or accountability, vix and vex will just go back to tgh, and x10 will stay empty, and the cycle continues. (Only singling you guys out because you're in the thread)

Just because we haven't had a x10 server, doesn't mean it will magically be effective and popular when we do. We've tried every other popular gamemode, and it's never just happened. If we want a server to work, we either need it to happen organically, or because people put the effort in. We've changed so many servers with no heart or accountability in the process and it doesn't work. If we plop some new game modes on a server, we need staff willing to go out of their way to be there when it's empty, and put the work in when it sucks. We should have certain staff hat have a certain time requirement on new servers, or double time served if it's spent on our less populated servers. Some sort of incentive ro actually get staff there, because staff there is the best way for a population to grow.

Otherwise, without incentive or accountability, vix and vex will just go back to tgh, and x10 will stay empty, and the cycle continues. (Only singling you guys out because you're in the thread)

A lot of members, including me, goes to JB regularly to populate and stuff. Maybe we can do the same with x10?

A lot of members, including me, goes to JB regularly to populate and stuff. Maybe we can do the same with x10?
I mean, it doesn't always work. It's 50/50 since sometimes many of those trying to populate the server end up leaving cause it gets boring with the same people every round.

Moosty has a good point there. An example being @Vacindak . He wasn't staff at the time, but he made one of the biggest changes in surf. Before it was becoming one of the well known populated for a short amount of time then dying off like every other attempted gamemode. The dude was committed to the server and look at it now! It's one of our most populated next to the trade servers. Whatever gamemode is decided upon, Moosty has the right idea in consistency with staff and actual commitment with the playerbase as well. Not saying someone has to be glued to the server, because that would be boring as hell..but to at least keep the population at a nice number for newcomers who are exploring to give xG a shot and join in on the fun.